POLL: Who flies beyond VLOS?

Who flies beyond VLOS?

• Total voters
If you can see your drone at 1500 feet, that is truly amazing! I have 20/20 corrected vision and that is impossible for me. I might be able to see the lights (barely) but could not verify orientation alone
As mentioned, "at best". I can't see it in the blue sky that far, it has to be down in a canyon with a dark green background on a good bright day that lights up the white craft, or at night with the lights on, which is taboo anyway.

I think you are getting total distance traveled confused with distance away from remote controller. What I am seeing here is you travel half of 3.6 miles away and then back to you. Looks like by your flight record here you traveled 1.8 miles there and 1.8 back.

No, that actually looks like he flew out 3.6 miles and has to travel another 3.6 miles back. Impressive, but I wouldn't chance it. Lol

OK, for what it's worth here are the views of a comparatively new pilot (to Phantoms) and someone who is flying very much on a budget with a P1 so obviously I cannot hope to emulate you guys with P3's and the like (although I hope to in the future when budget allows!)
VLOS flying is definitely something that everyone ought to do when starting out, period. I don't care how much tech is in-built, people who go BVLOS as new pilots are asking for trouble, witness the regular appearance of controllers/chargers/batteries that come up for sale on Ebay because the pilot has "lost" the AC.
Of course experienced pilots are going to want to fly way beyond VLOS for many reasons, the technology is there to be used but the key is to fly as responsibly as is possible. One aspect that infuriates me is the number of people trying to fly as high as possible - what is that achieving? Nothing except endangering people and helping to fuel the fire that is public scepticism of drones.
I marvel at my humble P1 and enviously watch the simply beautiful videos that pilots get with more up-to-date machines. If the general public saw more of them it would work wonders in making people aware of what an amazing hobby this is.
So to answer the question, NO I don't fly BVLOS but very much hope to in the future.

Hi guys!
All of you who say you've been flying beyond VLOS or asking if you should try it. The VLOS rules are there for a reason. If we keep on braking these rules, we will end up with a total ban unless you're a professional operator. So quit bragging about your endeavors of flying out of sight. Keep to the rules applied or ground yourself.
No need for pushing limits....

Regards
Olav

Reactions: Helihover
Flying beyond VLOS should be an option under the right flight conditions and locations but that would require common sense from both the Government and the drone operator, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Well plenty of vigorous debate on this topic. It shows two diametrically opposed points of view that will never converge or agree. One relying on (in my opinion) common sense and an understanding of the rules relating to FPV and having a spotter with you - the other backing the use of modern technology that can quite simply make the existing regulations look very outdated. Whichever standpoint you come from it highlights the need for more investigation and discussion from all parties and it may now be best to leave this topic as was intended - just a poll.

Reactions: Smitho
Flying beyond VLOS should be an option under the right flight conditions and locations but that would require common sense from both the Government and the drone operator, so I don't see that happening anytime soon.

This is allowed where I live. Also living in the mountains I need to fly up and above clouds often to get some videos. Not possible to see such beauty without a drone.

Can you name one "right location" or one "right flight condition" in the US that would allow for safe BVLOS flying?

Without opening a whole new can of worms, how do you describe or quantify "safe" when BVLOS. It is surely relying totally on the technology within your aircraft to accomplish such flights. I refer to my earlier post in this thread.

Any "option" in the NAS has to be safe, right?

@Stevedots said it should be an option givin the "right" conditions.

I'm asking what would the "right conditions" be.

Obviously there are none, but I wanted to hear a different view from the other side to hopefully expand my horizon.

I guess in the USA you have bigger areas of wilderness compared to the UK so if you're asking "safe for other people, vehicles, animals etc" then I would say wilderness. Right conditions in my mind would mean a practically dead calm day with no wind to affect flight duration. Safety of your aircraft is a different matter......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT