Police stopped me

As a 30 year professional photographer I have faced these problems without drones........

Yep. Brother got kicked out of a concert when security saw his camera. Was on the ticket stub and they meant it.

That annual big balloon festival in New Mexico gets some NFZ ban for 30 miles for right-of-way for the balloons and their own publicity where you have to have the festival approval to fly within the 30 mile boundary.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman and BigAl07
They probably got you under this NOTAM: 7/4319 NOTAM Details

Basically, you cannot fly at any sporting event where capacity can reach 30,000 people, unless you can meet the NOTAM exemptions.

I don't agree with that. Let's take a look at the relevant part of the NOTAM:

QUALIFYING LOCATIONS AND EVENTS ARE DEFINED AS ANY STADIUM OR OTHER SPORTING VENUE HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE WHERE: 1) A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL 1707201400-PERM END PART 1 OF 3 FDC 7/4319 FDC PART 2 OF 3 SECURITY SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS FOR SELECT LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING; OR 2) A NASCAR CUP, INDY CAR, OR CHAMP SERIES RACE IS OCCURRING, EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS.

It's for 30,000 or more people (seats), not up to. It is also only for certain types of events, not all sporting events. Just some specific football and baseball events and some types of car races. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't agree with that. Let's take a look at the relevant part of the NOTAM:

QUALIFYING LOCATIONS AND EVENTS ARE DEFINED AS ANY STADIUM OR OTHER SPORTING VENUE HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE WHERE: 1) A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL 1707201400-PERM END PART 1 OF 3 FDC 7/4319 FDC PART 2 OF 3 SECURITY SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS FOR SELECT LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING; OR 2) A NASCAR CUP, INDY CAR, OR CHAMP SERIES RACE IS OCCURRING, EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS.

It's for 30,000 or more people (seats), not up to. It is also only for certain types of events, not all sporting events. Just some specific football and baseball events and some types of car races. Nothing more, nothing less.

You just reiterated that same thing re:30,000 seats. He didn't say up to but "reach" 30,000 which means 30,000 or more.

Last edited:
Reactions: N017RW
You just reiterated that same thing re:30,000 seats. He didn't say up to but "reach" 30,000 which means 30,000 or more.

Disagree Not to be the grammar police but ... The simple definition of the word reach with a subject (without other qualifying words) means an upper or maximum end point of the subject. Not minimum.

" ... can reach 30,000 people" is a maximum.

If one would say "When reaching a minimum of 30,000 seats the NOTAM kicks in." then that would be correct.

He may have meant it but he didn't write it. :)

Im a TV producer, The surfing event like other professional events, OWN ALL THE VIDEO RIGHTS to their events. then can stop anyone they like for filming it. Just like if you are at a concert. When cell phones with video cameras first came out, Shows, Concerts, Events and Venues tried to stop them, but of course that eventually became impossible. But if I took my professional broadcast camera to the Huntington Surf Games and started filming from the Beach, they would stop me too. Now on the FAA side, you can not fly over crowds. Do you know you are not allowed to film the 'fish' at the Chelsea Pier Fish Market, They are copy right protected by the city and You actually need a permit.

Is it possible they were granted a temporary class F equivalent airspace for the event?

Disagree Not to be the grammar police but ... The simple definition of the word reach with a subject (without other qualifying words) means an upper or maximum end point of the subject. Not minimum.

" ... can reach 30,000 people" is a maximum.

If one would say "When reaching a minimum of 30,000 seats the NOTAM kicks in." then that would be correct.

He may have meant it but he didn't write it. :)

I'll let you have at it chief. We will have to agree to disagree here.

That's why is very convenient to check online to see if the beach you are visiting allow drones. I am thinking to visit one of the NJ beaches but not sure which one allow drones because NJ started hating drones and many municipalities are prohibiting any type of drones in their area.
NJ hates everything I think. Beautiful countryside though...

I'm curious as to how cops get "educated" about FAA regs and drone laws? I really can't see a bunch of cops sitting in a room getting a very thorough explanation of all current U.S. drone regulations from an FAA expert. Gut feeling tells me their "sarge" just tells them to go home and look up drones on Google and that will suffice for their "legal expertise" in dealing with drone pilots.

I was stopped by a Barney Fife type cop in a small Ohio town last year when I was flying my P3P in a public park. I didnt know RC models were prohibited in all public parks in that particular county, so it was my fault for not knowing the local ordinances. However, what made me angry was his accusation that I was "harassing people" with my drone simply because it was 75 feet above their heads and posed a "theoretical danger" if it fell out of the sky and hit someone. So then we got into a polite but heated discussion about what exactly constitutes "theoretical danger" of drones and I proceeded to tell him that baseball is legal in the public parks and people have been known to be seriously injured by flying bats and baseballs in the history of the United States. So why isn't baseball banned in parks like drones? Luckily I was able to keep my cool and be polite to this Barney Fife tough guy with a badge --- but it clearly illustrates the uphill battle we friendly and educated drone pilots have against the macho guys with guns and badges who think they are all Supreme Court justices with their knowledge of the law.

Sounds like old Barney Fire might know the rules better than you do! You shouldn't be flying over people at all. Soundslike you're part of the problem we have, not part of the solution.

Yesterday is the first time I've been interrogated (sorta) by police for flying my drone. Flew at Huntington Beach Pier, where they had the US Open of Surf. I set up my drone and fly for about 5 seconds until police walked over and told me to land my drone.

I land it and they start telling me how the sponsors of event have Proprietary ownership of the area for the surf competition. Saying only drones who work for event can be there. Otherwise I believe it's fine any other day.

They make me wait like 10-15 min for their undercover detective to explain stuff to me. Stuff about FAA and how I need to call the heliport. And keep saying how the FAA could get involved and fine me, and educated me how crazy the FAA are on drones.

I fly at the beach all the time. But I assume we just have to share the airspace with helicopters and other planes. Most aircraft tend to fly over the water, further than I would wanna fly my drone. But do I have to call the heliports and be all serious on where my drone will be flying?

I'm not going to comment on the flying part of the incident because I am not familiar with the area you were flying and did not see the warnings you saw on your display when you spun up. I will, however, take a minute to comment on a couple of other issues - pet peeves if you will. Kinda frosts my [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] when law enforcement take it upon itself to enforce private event sponsor rules. Rules or guidelines provided by private corporate events are NOT laws and on-duty law enforcement should not be enforcing them. If the Officers were working off-duty for the event then they should have politely advised you the sponsor does not want you to fly in the event.

The other thing - and more important in my estimation - was your "waiting" for a detective. Did the person you talk to provide ID? Was he also with HBPD? How did the uniform officers "ask" you to wait. It is clear that in a situation like that, the magic words, "Am I free to leave?" Should be uttered and if the answer is, "You are not free to leave." Make no statement. If the reply is, "You are free to leave...." Then leave. If the answer is something like, "What do you have to hide" or "What are you afraid of?" Leave.

Kind of a disconcerting incident as far as I am concerned. I am a retired Deputy Sheriff with over thirty years of law enforcement experience - many of that in training where situations like this were encountered. No, it is not, "Well, that is where you worked." Many of these guidelines are from Supreme Court guidance and are National. Take care and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Anyone having a less than positive experience with law enforcement should ask to see a supervisor, go to the nearest station to file a complaint or contact the Internal Affairs/Professional Responsibility section of the Agency of the Officer. We all pay lots in taxes, paid lots for our drones and have taken the time to be responsible pilots (when we are) and should expect professional treatment from professionals.

/end rant

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious as to how cops get "educated" about FAA regs and drone laws? I really can't see a bunch of cops sitting in a room getting a very thorough explanation of all current U.S. drone regulations from an FAA expert. Gut feeling tells me their "sarge" just tells them to go home and look up drones on Google and that will suffice for their "legal expertise" in dealing with drone pilots.

I was stopped by a Barney Fife type cop in a small Ohio town last year when I was flying my P3P in a public park. I didnt know RC models were prohibited in all public parks in that particular county, so it was my fault for not knowing the local ordinances. However, what made me angry was his accusation that I was "harassing people" with my drone simply because it was 75 feet above their heads and posed a "theoretical danger" if it fell out of the sky and hit someone. So then we got into a polite but heated discussion about what exactly constitutes "theoretical danger" of drones and I proceeded to tell him that baseball is legal in the public parks and people have been known to be seriously injured by flying bats and baseballs in the history of the United States. So why isn't baseball banned in parks like drones? Luckily I was able to keep my cool and be polite to this Barney Fife tough guy with a badge --- but it clearly illustrates the uphill battle we friendly and educated drone pilots have against the macho guys with guns and badges who think they are all Supreme Court justices with their knowledge of the law.

I wonder what kind of theoretical danger the police helicopter poses if it were to fall from the sky?

That's so lame. Tired. Ignorant.

Your comparing highly regulated equipment and pilots to anyone who can buy a radio controlled Chinese toy with no safety redundancy.

Reactions: ravedog
Yesterday is the first time I've been interrogated (sorta) by police for flying my drone. Flew at Huntington Beach Pier, where they had the US Open of Surf. I set up my drone and fly for about 5 seconds until police walked over and told me to land my drone.

I land it and they start telling me how the sponsors of event have Proprietary ownership of the area for the surf competition. Saying only drones who work for event can be there. Otherwise I believe it's fine any other day.

They make me wait like 10-15 min for their undercover detective to explain stuff to me. Stuff about FAA and how I need to call the heliport. And keep saying how the FAA could get involved and fine me, and educated me how crazy the FAA are on drones.

I fly at the beach all the time. But I assume we just have to share the airspace with helicopters and other planes. Most aircraft tend to fly over the water, further than I would wanna fly my drone. But do I have to call the heliports and be all serious on where my drone will be flying?
I love your picture. I have a Sun Conure myself.

That's so lame. Tired. Ignorant.

Your comparing highly regulated equipment and pilots to anyone who can buy a radio controlled Chinese toy with no safety redundancy.

I suppose you are addressing me? If so then- No, I am comparing the injury records of the 2 falling from the sky. Go check it out if you have never heard of helicopter or airlight crashes. Anyone can buy and/or build manned equipment as well with no training. In fact UAVs are more regulated than airlites. So just whom is the ignorant and lame one?

I'm not interested in your Strawman arguement.
We're discussing a Phantom pilot's equipment and training as compared to a law enforcement helicopters, not an airlight (sp).

Last edited:
I'm not interested in your Strawman arguement.
We're discussing a Phantom pilot'a equipment and training as compared to a law enforcement helicopters, not an airlight (sp).

No I was referring to the potential dangers of each. You are the strawman bringing a different twist to the point. especially in pointing out typos. Shall I point out yours? Does it add or subtract the to facts? The point again for the 3rd time that I was making is the potential injury hazard for each. You are interjecting another aspect trying to create credibility based on a completely different set of facts. Logic is a rough road to attempt to destroy.

I'll just leave these here:

Police helicopter crashes in Charlottesville, killing two people on board

Louisville Police Helicopter Crashes in Eastern Jefferson County

Helicopter crashes at Kenosha, Wis., airport, 1 injured, police say

And those are just from a brief search -- and just from the US.. worldwide there are many reports of police coptors crashing. And then add in civilian coptor crashes and you've got a PILE of bodies.

You don't realize how absurd you sound saying helicopters are safer than drones. To put it another way, how many drone crashes have resulted in major property damage, injury, or dealth in the last 3 years? Now how many for helicopters.

Reactions: changedout
I'll just leave these here:

Police helicopter crashes in Charlottesville, killing two people on board

Louisville Police Helicopter Crashes in Eastern Jefferson County

Helicopter crashes at Kenosha, Wis., airport, 1 injured, police say

And those are just from a brief search -- and just from the US.. worldwide there are many reports of police coptors crashing. And then add in civilian coptor crashes and you've got a PILE of bodies.

You don't realize how absurd you sound saying helicopters are safer than drones. To put it another way, how many drone crashes have resulted in major property damage, injury, or dealth in the last 3 years? Now how many for helicopters.

Expect your statement to be shot down because you did not end your last sentence with a question mark, LOL

In

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michello