Polarizing filter problem blue skys with a darker blue center (solved)

Reaction score
I got my P3 SE back from a few minor issues from Dji and put the polarizing filter back on the lens...well a few days later i took pictures and videos of the landscape during the flights and when i viewed my pictures..i had a blue sky with a darker blue large center in the pictures...i checked the filter for a smudge...and found a fingerprint on it...did the normal careful procedure and cleaned it off...and was hoping the problem was solved !

Yesterday i went to fly and took landscape pictures with the sky included...I seen later the light colored sky was still with a darker blue center !

Having polarizing filters on my still cameras....I remembered that you must "rotate" them at 90 degs to the sun to fully
eliminate the darker blue center while viewing thru the lens....I did that today and took the drone outside and as i watched the monitor as i rotated the filter to where the sky was all smooth and blue..Yaaaaaaa issue solved !

The filter just " by accident " was in the proper place before the repair....and the skys were smooth !

It seems like you are rotating the filter to where it has least effect. As you have said maximum polarisation effect will always be where the sun is at 90deg to the camera view. Large expanses of sky included in the lens FOV will often reveal variances in the deepness of colour across the scene, wider lenses make it more pronounced. Rotating the polarising element so that the effect is less pronounced probably just means you are getting less overall polarisation.

I usually only use the ND filters. From what you are saying there is certain way the polarizing filter needs to orientated, did not know that. Is that true with all filters?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4