Polar Pro vs Snake River Prototyping Filters - You Decide

I gotta say my "raw" footage looks incredible, Opcon. I've shot with the SRP ND8, ND8/CP and ND16/CP. All slipped over the stock UV. I see zero loss of detail, no muddiness or softness. That said I'm a maniac about keeping the lenses wiped clean and free of lent, smudges or dirt. In any case my shots don't "look better" or have a higher visual raw quality to them when shooting with the SRP filter on vs. with the SRP filter off.
That's good to know

Just noticed that polar pro is releasing a limited edition pack of 6 filters. Including a ND32 and ND16/PL! Shipping July 17. But it's a whopping $150! No idea why it's limited edition?

Pp also writes that their 3-pack is a new design also shipping July 17. Nothing about what's new about it?

It sucks to hear the negative comments since I really like the fact that they are so light and screw-on.

Still not sure what to get :(

If you use something like what I offer on my website you can stack the ND-filters to get very strong ND-filter effect.

I have the SRP ND8/CP. So far so good. But here's my question. Should I Calibrate the gimbal with the filter in place, or does it matter?

Reactions: JonasHess
I have the SRP ND8/CP. So far so good. But here's my question. Should I Calibrate the gimbal with the filter in place, or does it matter?
Yes. I always calibrate the gimbal with each power up when I use a filter. Only takes a few seconds so I figure it's worth it. Is it a mandate? Not sure but this the what i do and I've had zero issues.

nice! tell me about settings? Post coloring?
Yes I shoot with doing post color and grading in mind. I work in Premiere Pro CC.
My settings:
• UHD 4K
• 23.976 fps
• LOG color profile
• Sharpen -2
• Contrast -3
• Saturation -2
• Manual WB
• SS 50-125
• ISO 100-200

If I were only going to order 2 from SRP - without a doubt I'd get the ND8/CP and the ND16/CP. Keep in mind since you have to rotate a CP filter to set it to it's "sweet spot", adversely you can rotate it to it's weakest spot. Then the filter is just an ND8

Question about this.....

When the CP filter (for a ND8/CP) is rotated to its "weakest spot", will it be entirely the same as a ND8? Or will there still be a color variation depending on the angle from the sun?

I'm wondering if there is ever a point in having / using a ND8 filter on its own? (rather than having the combo on)

fhagan02 - that amazing video you posted in this thread had a sequence with just the ND8 - do you ever choose to use this instead of the combo, seeing as you have both? Thanks!!

If I were only going to order 2 from SRP - without a doubt I'd get the ND8/CP and the ND16/CP. Keep in mind since you have to rotate a CP filter to set it to it's "sweet spot", adversely you can rotate it to it's weakest spot. Then the filter is just an ND8

It's my understanding that the ND16/CP will be available REALLY soon.

This still true today? I would think the GND and the 8ND/CP would give excellent coverage.

Question about this.....

When the CP filter (for a ND8/CP) is rotated to its "weakest spot", will it be entirely the same as a ND8? Or will there still be a color variation depending on the angle from the sun?

I'm wondering if there is ever a point in having / using a ND8 filter on its own? (rather than having the combo on)

fhagan02 - that amazing video you posted in this thread had a sequence with just the ND8 - do you ever choose to use this instead of the combo, seeing as you have both? Thanks!!

When a ND/CP is rotated to it's CP's weakest spot you're still getting another half stop of darkening from the CP coating. So that's an added benefit to using a ND/CP.

Some folks don't like the saturation the CP gives to the footage. Sometimes I want a super flat shot - If that's the case the ND8 is perfect. Lots of people don't do post work so using a CP gives a little more saturated finished look with no more "work" required.

Last edited:
Do you shoot in 24 FPS for a more cinematic feel? Any other benefit?

I use 24 fps or "the look" alone. As with cinema 24fps gives a more organic natural look to the footage. The slight motion blur at a shutter speed of 50 is very pleasing to most peoples eyes. (This is highly debated by some but it is the rule of thumb whether you choose to adhere to it or not.) The only time I use 30 or 60fps is if I plan to reinterpret the footage to 23.97 when editing to get super smooth, beautiful and true slow motion.

This is just what I prefer. Test for yourself. If you're happy with whatever your settings may be.... that's all that counts.

Last edited:
This still true today? I would think the GND and the 8ND/CP would give excellent coverage.

After testing more... if I could only choose two for the moment... It would be the GND16-8 and the ND16/CP. I flat out simply love the GND16-8.

The bottom of the GND is an ND8. So that's not going to change with a straight ND8. It's the constant brighter sky we're always battling.... and the sky will always be brighter than the land. (Unless of course you're shooting on a white sand beach.) I was testing again today with the ND16/CP and this filter is an absolute necessity for full on sun and keeping the SS at the 50-100 mark.

I'm probably splitting hairs but honestly... either way you go... you can't loose with the ND8 and a GND.

Reactions: SteelGator
After testing more... if I could only choose two for the moment... It would be the GND16-8 and the ND16/CP. I flat out simply love the GND16-8.

The bottom of the GND is an ND8. So that's not going to change with a straight ND8. It's the constant brighter sky we're always battling.... and the sky will always be brighter than the land. (Unless of course you're shooting on a white sand beach.) I was testing again today with the ND16/CP and this filter is an absolute necessity for full on sun and keeping the SS at the 50-100 mark.

I'm probably splitting hairs but honestly... either way you go... you can't loose with the ND8 and a GND.

Thanks for the reply. I may start with the GND and then at the CP/16 later.

how come no one is testing , reviewing , compering dji filters?
DJI only has the basic ND filters. No Polarizer or graduated. They don't appeal to my needs.

Reactions: koop
Power Pro Filters - Customer Service

Okay, this is not a comparison, just a Customer Service report. I ordered P3S filters from PP. They arrived timely and as promised. Except, meanwhile, I decided to upgrade from P3S to P3A. I wrote PP and posed my situation. No problem! I paid return shipping for the unopened P3S filters. They immediately shipped back P3A filters. Presto change-O!

High marks for customer service, as they could have made me resell the P3S items or charged a restocking fee. Paying return shipping was a reasonable cost to me since I was the cause of the swap.

You are correct. Just rotate the NDCP 90 degrees and you've got just an ND filter. It's not just reflections with water or glass either. Leaves and grass give off an incredible about of pure white reflection. The sky is incredible at the correct angle with a CP. it darkens and pushes the blue back while leaving clouds almost untouched in the foreground. But it also softens the whites in the clouds revealing the subtle detail in the whites and grays where it's normally blown out to pure white.

Hope this helps.
Ok...so I got the SRP ND8/CP and the ND16/CP and could have bought the ND8 filter but because of this post, I didn't. I am looking through the ND8/CP now into my laptop monitor and going from the darkest point to the lightest point by turning it 90 degrees...is this what you meant by JUST AN ND? (also it is suggested NOT to turn the filter while its on your camera lens)...they are sold out of the GND ND16-8 :( ...the 2 filters cost me 190 CAD and 20 CAD C.O.D. for any Canadians that were wondering...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik