Polar Pro vs Snake River Prototyping Filters - You Decide

Just noticed that polar pro is releasing a limited edition pack of 6 filters. Including a ND32 and ND16/PL! Shipping July 17. But it's a whopping $150! No idea why it's limited edition?

Pp also writes that their 3-pack is a new design also shipping July 17. Nothing about what's new about it?

It sucks to hear the negative comments since I really like the fact that they are so light and screw-on.

Still not sure what to get :(

Reactions: mmee1992
Just noticed that polar pro is releasing a limited edition pack of 6 filters. Including a ND32 and ND16/PL! Shipping July 17. But it's a whopping $150! No idea why it's limited edition?

Pp also writes that their 3-pack is a new design also shipping July 17. Nothing about what's new about it?

It sucks to hear the negative comments since I really like the fact that they are so light and screw-on.

Still not sure what to get :(
They changed the tolerances on the threading to fix the threading on issue.

Reactions: JonasHess
from my understanding 150 is not a lot for 6 filters, which puts it at $25 a filter. SRP is around $60 per filter. I also like the fact that PP is a screw on so its not nearly as heavy. I also heard that the threading tolerances will be reconstructed. PP has done a very good job with customer service and handling this issue with customers whos filters has not fit properly.

from my understanding 150 is not a lot for 6 filters, which puts it at $25 a filter. SRP is around $60 per filter. I also like the fact that PP is a screw on so its not nearly as heavy. I also heard that the threading tolerances will be reconstructed. PP has done a very good job with customer service and handling this issue with customers whos filters has not fit properly.

I have the SRP CP/NP8 and think its great. That said, I plan to buy polar pros filter pack when it comes out. I was very unhappy with the shipping/fitment issues but they resolved it the best they could and i respect how they have basically took it on the chin for a bunch of filters to keep their customer base happy.

So i despite being happy with what i have I am going to buy some of their filters to give them the fair chance they deserve.

I have the SRP CP/NP8 and think its great. That said, I plan to buy polar pros filter pack when it comes out. I was very unhappy with the shipping/fitment issues but they resolved it the best they could and i respect how they have basically took it on the chin for a bunch of filters to keep their customer base happy.

So i despite being happy with what i have I am going to buy some of their filters to give them the fair chance they deserve.
I agree with you Jay

Got my SRP CP/NP8 ordered, can't wait to get it.

Any times I SHOULDN'T have the filter on? (Other than the obvious low light, low sunlight, etc.)

Testing with the SRP ND8 & ND8/CP. Really liking these.

Howdy, I had a question for you as to the correct orientation for mounting on the camera...

I just got my SRP ND8/CP. As I understand it you have to rotate it to the best orientation.

When I look through it (the way the sun would enter) and rotate it there's a very subtle difference where the sky looks bluer and the cloud edges sharper.

When I look through the other way (the way the camera would see through) and look at my computer screen it goes from normal to completely blacked out when rotating.

I'm not sure which one is the "correct" one as they seem to be opposite. Which side are you supposed to look through to determine the best possible orientation? What do you recommend?

Thanks!

Howdy, I had a question for you as to the correct orientation for mounting on the camera...

I just got my SRP ND8/CP. As I understand it you have to rotate it to the best orientation.

When I look through it (the way the sun would enter) and rotate it there's a very subtle difference where the sky looks bluer and the cloud edges sharper.

When I look through the other way (the way the camera would see through) and look at my computer screen it goes from normal to completely blacked out.

I'm not sure which one is the "correct" one as they seem to be opposite. What do you recommend?

Thanks!
Great question. In daylight the polarizing effect is most prominent at the 90º angle from direction of the sun. Facing the sun, or the sun at your back, as you look through the filter is the weakest view for the polarizer. So...position yourself dead sideways with the sun shining only on one side of your face. Now look straight ahead, from this 90º position of the sun, through the polarizer at the sky and rotate the filter. You'll see the blue go dark. You can't miss it! That's your sweet spot. Mark the top center edge of the filter with a pencil so you know exactly what position it should be when you install it on the camera lens.

Reactions: Rothgarr
Great question. In daylight the polarizing effect is most prominent at the 90º angle from direction of the sun. Facing the sun, or the sun at your back, as you look through the filter is the weakest view for the polarizer. So...position yourself dead sideways with the sun shining only on one side of your face. Now look straight ahead, from this 90º position of the sun, through the polarizer at the sky and rotate the filter. You'll see the blue go dark. You can't miss it! That's your sweet spot. Mark the top center edge of the filter with a pencil so you know exactly what position it should be when you install it on the camera lens.
Thanks!!!

I just had the ND8 CP and ND 16 cp sent out by snake river this afternoon. My inspire tanked right (sent it back for refund) before I got the filters and I sent them back to Snake river. They exchanged them for phantom 3 versions. Looking forward to seeing what they do. Had I not already had a credit, I'd probably not paid so much for two but money spent already.

My only concern with the SRP is that because they are slip on the lens shoots through the stock UV filter as well as the SRP filter.

My only concern with the SRP is that because they are slip on the lens shoots through the stock UV filter as well as the SRP filter.
I can remove my stock cover. I'll let you know when I get it if I can just slip on the SRP without it. Unless someone can comment first.

I'm speaking from experience, you can't put it on (at least I couldn't) without the UV filter on. Quality is good so far but I'm just concerned about shooting through 2 pieces of glass.

I'm speaking from experience, you can't put it on (at least I couldn't) without the UV filter on. Quality is good so far but I'm just concerned about shooting through 2 pieces of glass.
I don't know how daring people are, but you can always remove the glass inside the cap. I also Skype some place where you can get a spare screw on UV cap. I might do that and make it sacrificial

Here is a quick test i did today shot in 4K and uploaded in 4K with the SRP ND8/CP. Filter is heavy, but gimbal handles it fine, and horizon stays perfect. Only suggestion would to face your lens straight down before powering off as when you do it swings down fast. Colors/clarity is great, SRP nails it again. Will get the ND16 when it comes out next.

Would you please enlighten me on why you'd want to have both the 8 and 16?
If I were only going to order 2 from SRP - without a doubt I'd get the ND8/CP and the ND16/CP. Keep in mind since you have to rotate a CP filter to set it to it's "sweet spot", adversely you can rotate it to it's weakest spot. Then the filter is just an ND8

It's my understanding that the ND16/CP will be available REALLY soon.
If you could get just one filter would you get the 8 or the 16?

Would you please enlighten me on why you'd want to have both the 8 and 16?

If you could get just one filter would you get the 8 or the 16?
I'd get the ND8 but you'll wish you had the ND16 also on days with full sun. The ND8 simply isn't dark enough to get the shutter down to the 50-100 mark. The ND16 is perfect for this in full sun.

Last edited:
any thoughts on it shooting through 2 pieces of glass?
I gotta say my "raw" footage looks incredible, Opcon. I've shot with the SRP ND8, ND8/CP and ND16/CP. All slipped over the stock UV. I see zero loss of detail, no muddiness or softness. That said I'm a maniac about keeping the lenses wiped clean and free of lent, smudges or dirt. In any case my shots don't "look better" or have a higher visual raw quality to them when shooting with the SRP filter on vs. with the SRP filter off.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik