Polar Pro ND and Polarizer build Impression

My Phantom 3 filter pack arrived in the post today. I'm based in the UK and I have to say the delivery was super quick. However to much of my disappointment the filters didn't fit properly onto my P3, I'm also having issues as stated in this thread by others. Thanks to the forum I had the heads up. As of now I've emailed them for a refund or an exchange and still waiting for their response. I will keep you guys updated.

They'll refund. They're fully aware of the issues and word has it they're releasing an updated set July 17th. Hold until then.

Just got an update that my replacements will be shipped with priority to Poland, when available in mid July. Very satisfied with customer service.

I got a reply and I have to say they were straight to the point and admitted that some of their filters were faulty. I've gone for the replacement option and they will update the order when they are shipped out in July. Top customer service.

SRP is much too heavy. Value isn't there either. Can't beat $150 6 pack coming mid July.
The value is not there if you don't use them. I have the polar pro PL, ND4 and ND8. Quite frankly, with this camera, the PL and ND4 are not very useful. PP seems to learning from SRP or their own REVISED testing that you need >ND8 and people want CP/ND combo filters. So for me, I think you will only use 4 out of the 6 pack....so is it worth $150?

SRP is much too heavy. Value isn't there either. Can't beat $150 6 pack coming mid July.

Wrong on all counts. Not to heavy at all. I didn't even counter balance mine. No need to it works perfectly smooth and being nd/cp in one is perfect. Slip it on and go. Nothing to unscrew, no sticky threads, no striped threads, no risk of getting dirt on the sensor like with the cp filters. The srp setup is far superior.

I also wondered about SRP weight and as SRP recommended to contact manufacturer, I did so. DJI support in Europe answered immediately and asked me not to use any additional parts on the camera and the gimbal, as it will unbalance the system, motors will get hot and might burn through. That's the recommendation from DJI.

Wrong on all counts. Not to heavy at all. I didn't even counter balance mine. No need to it works perfectly smooth and being nd/cp in one is perfect. Slip it on and go. Nothing to unscrew, no sticky threads, no striped threads, no risk of getting dirt on the sensor like with the cp filters. The srp setup is far superior.

Ditto all this... plus The SRP glass is far superior. Obviously I have both sets snd have tested. PP tends to copy what SRP does anyway IMHO. That tells you something. The PP ND8 isn't as dark as the SRP ND8?! I've found that an ND4 is useless. So with PP I'm really paying $70 for 2 filters not 3. SRP doesn't offer a P3 ND4...for a reason. They listen to their pro-sumers.

Last edited:
Ditto all this... plus The SRP glass is far superior. Obviously I have both sets snd have tested. PP tends to copy what SRP does anyway IMHO. That tells you something. The PP ND8 isn't as dark as the SRP ND8?! I've found that an ND4 is useless. So with PP I'm really paying $70 for 2 filters not 3. SRP doesn't offer a P3 ND4...for a reason. They listen to their pro-sumers.
I want very much to believe what you say here, but the SRP filters weigh even more than the PolarPro equivalents.
The weight differences between the PolarPro and stock filters are considerable - like 300% heavier. The SRPs are 340% heavier.
Only time will tell if premature wear occurs I guess ...

I want very much to believe what you say here, but the SRP filters weigh even more than the PolarPro equivalents.
The weight differences between the PolarPro and stock filters are considerable - like 300% heavier. The SRPs are 340% heavier.
Only time will tell if premature wear occurs I guess ...

You're right @bobomet I've really struggled deciding what to do, counter balance or not, what's safe, what's over the top safe etc. etc. The one think I'm convinced of is than an ND is a necessity for aerials... not a preference. The quality of SRP glass is just incredible so I made a choice. In the end I look at it like this.... Pure wind, the resistance of that wind and flight at say just 12-15mph produces a MUCH greater force on the gimbal motors than the 7g of the filter. The gimbal was engineered with this in mind otherwise none of us would be able to shoot anything unless skies were absolutely calm, zero wind and traveling no faster than 5mph. That said I've yet to notice any visible or audible motor strain, hibernation or drifting. Gimbal calibrates fine everytime and stays level the same way it would without an ND. Disclaimers are everywhere. Makes me nervous too. But that's good old CYA and I guess I'd do the same if I were an aftermarket product designer.

Apologies in advance to the moderators as I may be veering too far off the topic of this particular thread. But a lot of folks, including myself, have had huge issues with the "PP build impressions" so showing an alternative that works helps folks make informed purchases I thought.

For what my two cents is worth. (The PP test is a little shorter as I couldn't get the filter screwed on all the way and feared loosing it if it fell off.)

Last edited:
You're right @bobomet I've really struggled deciding what to do, counter balance or not, what's safe, what's over the top safe etc. etc. The one think I'm convinced of is than an ND is a necessity for aerials... not a preference. The quality of SRP lenses is just incredible so I made a choice. In the end I look at it like this.... Pure wind, the resistance of that wind and flight at say just 12-15mph produces MUCH a greater force on the gimbal motots than the 7g of the filter. The gimbal was engineered with this in mind otherwise none of us would be able to shoot anything unless skies were absolutely calm, zero wind and traveling no faster than 5mph. That said I've yet to notice any visible or audible motor strain, hibernation or drifting. Gimbal calibrates fine everytime and stays level the same way it would without an ND. Disclaimers are everywhere. Makes me nervous too. But that's good old CYA and I guess I'd do the same if I were an aftermarket product designer.

Apologies in advance to the moderators as I may be veering too far off the topic of this particular thread. But a lot of folks, including myself, have had huge issues with the "PP build impressions" so showing an alternative that works helps folks make informed purchases I thought.

For what my two cents is worth. (The PP test is a little shorter as I couldn't get the filter screwed on all the way and feared loosing it if it fell off.)
I agree fully .... and I'm done with PolarPro at this point ...

The SRP filters add 7.5g as you leave the stock UV filter on. The new PP filters add 3.9g as you remove the stock UV filter.
From a warranty POV, DJI will always say don't make aftermarket mods. The aftermarket companies will say check with mfg. So at the end, it's up to the consumer to decide. I personally am willing to risk it with SRP given they had similar filters on the P2V+ and I haven't heard of issues. I know it's a different gimbal/etc, but you gotta go with your gut. Also, if the gimbal burns out while under warranty, will DJI be able to say "you shouldn't have put on that filter?". NO, because I will remove it prior to sending in [emoji6]

That's correct, although I would like the quad to last far beyond warranty, so still debating what to do. What the market is lacking now is high quality screw on filters in thin housings, keeping the weight on same or very similar level as the stock UV filter. It would be awesome if DJI or another manufactuer released such filters soon, that would be a no brainer for me to purchase.

Reactions: DaGunn
That's correct, although I would like the quad to last far beyond warranty, so still debating what to do. What the market is lacking now is high quality screw on filters in thin housings, keeping the weight on same or very similar level as the stock UV filter. It would be awesome if DJI or another manufactuer released such filters soon, that would be a no brainer for me to purchase.

Man....Ditto that. I've sent emails to all the popular ND makers with this simple request. Supposedly DJI is going to release such filters. We'll see...

Nice. The problem is that my UV filter is cracked and I do not want to fly anymore without protection, but I have an idea until I have a proper filter mounted, I will try it tonight.

I ordered a set of filters from PhantomFilters.com, but due to poor weather I'm still waiting to test them out. They're little discs of ND filters that slot behind the stock UV filter. They're a bit fiddly to install, but the alternative is hanging heavy filters on your camera and hoping the fragile gimble wont die, which is not really something I want to risk. The thing I'm worried about with these discs is scratching the lens while screwing the UV filter+ND filter disc in place. Little specs of dirt and dust would be on the surface of the disc and scratch the lens if it comes into contact. Maybe that's a paranoid fear - I don't really know how scratch-proof lenses are.

For those of you with PolarPro filters with defective threads: remove preferable filter from the housing by pressing it carefully outwards, making sure the glue sticks with it and reapply onto your stock camera and you have a temporary fix. In my case, with a removed cracked stock UV filter, I now have a ND8 filter with protection for lens at no added weight to gimbal. I just made a test flight and it works, sticks well to the original housing and it looks good as a bonus:)

1_zpsrauri8jh.jpg
1%201_zpsd2ncciws.jpg

I also contacted DJI support in North America and got today an reply that the weight of the SRP filter may not be too much on the gimbal and that IMU and gimbal calibration should be performed.

I got refunded for my defective Polar Pro filters after asking for it, once again very good customer service. I will decide which filters to purchase when their updated filters have been released in mid July. I will either go for Polar Pro again, SRP or DJI, if they release filters by then. Meanwhile, I will use my temporary fix above.

I also contacted DJI support in North America and got today an reply that the weight of the SRP filter may not be too much on the gimbal and that IMU and gimbal calibration should be performed.

I guess a natural question is if the gimbal calibration should be performed with the added SRP filter. What happens when you remove it during a couple of flights? Can't imagine doing a calibration in the field. So far I've done the gimbal calibration only w/o the SRP filter and haven't had an issue. The gimbal isn't noticeably warmer either.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor