Polar Pro ND and Polarizer build Impression

My ND8 won't seat due to bad threads, they've promised to send me a replacement soon due to some acknowledged "tolerance issues." The ND4 threads actually look worse in terms of cut, but thread on OK. So I sent the bird up yesterday for testing and so far so good. No twitching of the gimbal without any balancing. Optical quality also seems very good.

Reactions: Steezynickel
I wish a lens cap was available for the Polar Pro filters. I've asked the company for one and they've said they don't offer one. I've fashioned one from a cap I found in my junk. Appears to be 36mm outer diameter. If you're using the stock gimbal clamp you'll need a cap that's thin in order for it to fit.

Mark.

I'm waiting for shipment of PP filter set, then I will see what to do. I've taken a test video with @dataway filters ($5 for real Kodak wratten ND jelly); they are the easiest solution and it fits perfectly what I need bringing the exposure down enough to get good smoothness and image quality.
I will not go for dimes, coins or whatever for gimbal counterweight. If gimbal will be "stressed" by few more grams, then I'll sell PP filters.

Reactions: PhantomFun
My ND8 won't seat due to bad threads, they've promised to send me a replacement soon due to some acknowledged "tolerance issues." The ND4 threads actually look worse in terms of cut, but thread on OK. So I sent the bird up yesterday for testing and so far so good. No twitching of the gimbal without any balancing. Optical quality also seems very good.

Interestingly there seems to be an ever increasing number of videos featuring completely unspectacular footage and compensating for that by overly spectacular music. Excellent tracking of the train though ☺

Reactions: RyanK and Nannerz
I ordered the Polar Pro 3-Filter Pack, and just got my notice of shipment.
But now I don't plan to even open the packaging, and will return them to Polar Pro for a refund.
I'm afraid they have been rushed to market without undertaking a thorough testing process first.
I can't afford to risk doing damage to my bird.
I'll keep you informed about the experience I'll have working with Polar Pro for the return ....

Reactions: Nannerz
My camera nose dives when not powered, with stock UV and Polar Pros filter. Is it supposed to be camera up when not powered...? It doesn't appear to be symmetrical by design, to even do that without intervention... Is the fear that it will die prematurely with extra weight of the Polar Pro filter?

Mark.

Some photos from Yesterday with the ND8 1/60th shutter, 100 ISO

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 426
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 405
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 360
Interestingly there seems to be an ever increasing number of videos featuring completely unspectacular footage and compensating for that by overly spectacular music. Excellent tracking of the train though ☺

I wasn't trying to impress you, this is example footage for a recent product release. I use music from the freemusicarchive.org because it's a chance to feature a musician's work, they usually appreciate the added publicity for their work. I'll be sure to choose some more mundane tracks in the future so my subpar video doesn't bleed all over them.

You're overthinking it. The current videos are meant to show how well or poor the filters work. Roughs with music so it's not completely boring. I enjoy seeing what others have done as of course I'm not expecting Prometheus in an ND test.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobomet
well received my filters yesterday
all three go on fully seated. had to use a little lube
they feel nice. cant wait to test them out image.jpgimage.jpg

Reactions: bobomet
Update on my previous post regarding the ND8... I e-mailed them last week, they immediately responded and replacements arrived yesterday. I tested the ND8 this morning and it threads on all the way (a little tight but nothing to be concerned about).

Kudos to Jeff for the quick response. Looking forward to running it on my next shoot and reporting back.

I wasn't trying to impress you, this is example footage for a recent product release. I use music from the freemusicarchive.org because it's a chance to feature a musician's work, they usually appreciate the added publicity for their work. I'll be sure to choose some more mundane tracks in the future so my subpar video doesn't bleed all over them.
Some people are a bit edgy about almost everything these days.
I too use music from unknown artists in my work for the same reason.
And my video and still shoots require that I get, sometimes, 200 shots to get one good one. So I'd say you did fine mate.
Ignore the noise-makers ....

Reactions: Jeff48920
You're overthinking it. The current videos are meant to show how well or poor the filters work. Roughs with music so it's not completely boring. I enjoy seeing what others have done as of course I'm not expecting Prometheus in an ND test.
I might have a little time this weekend to go and do a comparison test with all of the ND filters even tho my stock UV Filter has a small crack on the side because I was a brute when I was taking it off.

Reactions: fhagan02
I might have a little time this weekend to go and do a comparison test with all of the ND filters even tho my stock UV Filter has a small crack on the side because I was a brute when I was taking it off.
Did you use a lubricant to get your Polar Pro filters on. I expect mine in the mail today or tomorrow, and want to know what's worked best ....

Did you use a lubricant to get your Polar Pro filters on. I expect mine in the mail today or tomorrow, and want to know what's worked best ....
No I didn't have to use anything but I must admit it makes a horrific screeching sound when putting the filters on.

Reactions: DrChris
Bobomet did you decide to keep the filters...? I thought you were going to return them?

I chatted w/ Dan of Polar Pros he informed me they've got over 200 flights w/ their P3, and have not experienced any issues with regard to the gimbal and the added weight.

Mark.

Waw ... I received the filters ... veeryyy fast ! I've tried on P3A and P3P (not flying) and it seems gimbal feel good with the few grams added ... No issue. I'll see during flight.
I used lube too, but that also for DJI UV filter removal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik