POLAR PRO LANDING GEAR

My evaluation for Polar Pro landing gear:

1. Very well designed and made
2. Plastic pieces priced at ridiculous high price
3. Utility is questionable as hand catching is a safer practice
I agree with you on price being to much, & also they are well made and good design, I think the catch grab method is safer for the p3 but not for your fingers! Cheers.

quad.jpg
I agree with you on price being to much, & also they are well made and good design, I think the catch grab method is safer for the p3 but not for your fingers! Cheers.
Amen to that.....

I flew RC Helicopters since 2003. Landing was pretty tricky in the beginning, but after several "boom strikes" over couple weeks, it was very easy. The quads practically land themselves in comparison. Just put it an inch or so over the ground and put it down. Also what is interesting is it was always considered kind of dangerous to "catch" a helicopter instead of land it as rotor tip speeds averaged at 200 mph.
I realize the quads are very tame compared to that, but IMHO, having it get close to your head/face'eyes is not a good idea.... And like quoted above, the machine was designed to land on the ground. I'm sure DJI would not recommend it....
Again, just my two cents.
Well said Dave! This hand catching has seemed to evolve into a standard operating procedure. I too flew some helos and fixed wing, however, never was it in my mind to hand catch them because I lacked the skill due to lack of training or what everyone else is doing. I have scars on my hands and ankles from some aircraft, although the phantom is not putting up the rpms it can still hurt you and cause you to lose control.
Additionally, grabbing that one leg while the still turning at a high rpm causes the phantom to fight back a bit, which causes some high opposing torque on that leg which over time will cause a fracture or failure of that landing gear leg.
Handcatching is also it making the the whole community of Phantom and other UAV look untrained, irresponsible and not taken seriously among all the other folks who fly airplanes, rotary ect.

Reactions: DaveWithDrone
I love the setup! Those landing feet look like a huge and practical improvement!

Sadly I'm far too lazy to remove the legs every time I load up my P3A.. as my case would't fit em well.

..That said what's so bad about hand catching? I do it 50% of the time.. No problem dry landing though.

My evaluation for Polar Pro landing gear:

1. Very well designed and made
2. Plastic pieces priced at ridiculous high price
3. Utility is questionable as hand catching is a safer practice
I agree with you eval except #2 and #3. The plastic used is not cheap. However, this price by a well known company is not really "ridiculous". It's not generic and made per spec of the Phantom. Yeah it seems too high, however you and I both bought about 1200 dollars for a large piece of plastic, with accessories.
#3 I can not even understand or comprehend how in the name of God you think that Hand Catching is Safer. You claim to be an engineer? That explains a lot .Seriously. Read the other posts I made as well as Dave .

I agree with you eval except #2 and #3. The plastic used is not cheap. However, this price by a well known company is not really "ridiculous". It's not generic and made per spec of the Phantom. Yeah it seems too high, however you and I both bought about 1200 dollars for a large piece of plastic, with accessories.
#3 I can not even understand or comprehend how in the name of God you think that Hand Catching is Safer. You claim to be an engineer? That explains a lot .Seriously. Read the other posts I made as well as Dave .
My guess is if the price is reduced to 1/3 rd of its current price, sale volume will grow up by 10 fold. Supplier can easily experiment it for a short time.

Anyway that's not our decision.

Very valid points.

Hand catching is NOT safer for a person. Sorry, but my life/hands/fingers/ect are far more important than a $1k flying toy!!!!!! I can buy another drone happy at $1k. I would NOT be happy paying medical bills for being hit by strong thin blades!

Reactions: GunnyPapa
Very valid points.

Hand catching is NOT safer for a person. Sorry, but my life/hands/fingers/ect are far more important than a $1k flying toy!!!!!! I can buy another drone happy at $1k. I would NOT be happy paying medical bills for being hit by strong thin blades!
Exactly BVC, a no brainer!

My guess is if the price is reduced to 1/3 rd of its current price, sale volume will grow up by 10 fold. Supplier can easily experiment it for a short time.

Anyway that's not our decision.
I do not have any words to reply to your post after quoting me. Just have nothing to say as you are not addressing anything and you are creating a whole new area that.. I can not post anything further, as I am a decent person. Good luck sir!

GunnyPapa, Thanks for the support. I didn't want to seem "adversarial", to someone so to speak. But since a lot of "newby's" will be flying these things, and reading these posts, I didn't think it was a good idea to be saying how it was a good idea to try to hand catch. Just going to YouTube and searching for Quad Copter injury or Drone injury and you can see those cute little blades will definitely do some slicing and dicing if they "bump" into you. That said, there are numerous posts on this site about Quads just all of a sudden doing their own thing without explanation, such as dropping out of the sky or just seeming to have a mind of their own. Keeping a safe distance seems like a good idea to me.

Reactions: GunnyPapa
I mostly hand catch as well. I didn't see pictures of the landing gear.
Again..... I assume most pilots have seen this, and other examples of "things can go wrong really quickly"... Click on:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hand catching shouldn't be done by the faint of heart because it is more dangerous now that some P3's have a drift after the 1.3.02 update, plus you really have to know your bird. Mine drifts a little so I bring it in fast and close and push down the left stick at the same time as I grab. It's quick but on this day I had gulls coming within a foot of her, so I brought her down in to me faster then normal.
Iglesias stuck his fingers in the props of an inspire on purpose from the looks of it, like putting your fingers into a fan for fun. But this time the props weren't his friend... lol
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

GunnyPapa, Thanks for the support. I didn't want to seem "adversarial", to someone so to speak. But since a lot of "newby's" will be flying these things, and reading these posts, I didn't think it was a good idea to be saying how it was a good idea to try to hand catch. Just going to YouTube and searching for Quad Copter injury or Drone injury and you can see those cute little blades will definitely do some slicing and dicing if they "bump" into you. That said, there are numerous posts on this site about Quads just all of a sudden doing their own thing without explanation, such as dropping out of the sky or just seeming to have a mind of their own. Keeping a safe distance seems like a good idea to me.
Agree!!
BRAVO ZULU Post!!

Honestly, hand-catching is super simple and there are lot of interesting places to fly that don't have a smooth flat landing pad.

totally agree, seems more safe for the gimbal as well. Only time that I don't hand catch is if I have someone right next to me watching... which i guess you could say is just being too lazy to walk 10 feet away :laughing:

Just received and installed Landing Gear from Polar Pro on my P3A. What a difference! Easy on and of and material is very durable, lightweight with plenty of flex.

Here is pic installed.

[file]PolarPro LG|none[/file]

I see a few reviews that say the camera hits it on calibration. Have you had this issue?

I see a few reviews that say the camera hits it on calibration. Have you had this issue?
Not at all. Camera actually is much further away with gear installed

I am new to the hobby and have a P3S coming tomorrow. I have been thinking about getting a set of these. I have seen a lot of positive posts about them. Only one person mentioned that they got in the way during filming. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: DaveWithDrone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic