POI Flight Mode and RTH Buttom

Reaction score
Hi to everyone.
I'm a little confused about the POI flight mode. After completing a flight and exit from this mode, everytime I had passed the control mode from F to P, and pressed the RTH button, the phantom started to land straight bottom at the same point where it was instead of returning home. Does anyone experiment the same behavior? Is there any way of making the phantom to return home as usual once you used the POI Flight Mode?

Thanks in advance!

Hi to everyone.
I'm a little confused about the POI flight mode. After completing a flight and exit from this mode, everytime I had passed the control mode from F to P, and pressed the RTH button, the phantom started to land straight bottom at the same point where it was instead of returning home. Does anyone experiment the same behavior? Is there any way of making the phantom to return home as usual once you used the POI Flight Mode?

Thanks in advance!

I have not tried that. I know there is an issue with the POI and if it looses control signal it will land where it is at but I would have thought it should still be OK when its out of POI mode.
Are you further away than 10 M in POI ?
I will give it a go wednesday.

Reactions: Mako79
About three hours ago, I experienced the same issue "uncontrolled flyaway." Ended up in a tree despite using the RTH on the controller. Prop guards and string saved the day. I recalibrate prior to every flight. Also made sure Home Point is established.
About an hour ago, I flew it again. Re calibrated, set the home point and confirmed on the map. After numerous attempts at using the RTH, the P3P always descends at a point directly under the drone, not at its home point.
Any suggestions?

I have not tried that. I know there is an issue with the POI and if it looses control signal it will land where it is at but I would have thought it should still be OK when its out of POI mode.
Are you further away than 10 M in POI ?
I will give it a go wednesday.

+1
If the phantom is within 20m (66ft) and you trigger RTH, it will land where it is. DJI assumes you have visual site and should be able to fly it back. If you want to land automatically, press the Autoland button. The reason for RTH to land where it is triggered when within 20m is stop the "wtf - flyaway reaction" when it shoots into the ceiling. On default, RTH is ascend 30m and return home. If RTH was triggered (battery/loss of signal etc) and the phantom 2m next to you, would you want it ascend 30m, move 2m and then descend and land?? Imagine now when you leave it on idle to drain battery in your garage - it will shoot up into the roof on the low battery warning.

About three hours ago, I experienced the same issue "uncontrolled flyaway." Ended up in a tree despite using the RTH on the controller. Prop guards and string saved the day. I recalibrate prior to every flight. Also made sure Home Point is established.
About an hour ago, I flew it again. Re calibrated, set the home point and confirmed on the map. After numerous attempts at using the RTH, the P3P always descends at a point directly under the drone, not at its home point.
Any suggestions?
Work around-- Reset the RTH point after the POI and it should come back to you-- better yet fly it back and don't rely on the RTH

Reactions: bobomet
I just pop it back into "P" Mode, and fly it home.
RTH worked perfectly for me the one time I needed it ... when I completely lost sight and signal, but not during a POI flight.
The instruction I read said the P3P will go into RTH mode if there is a signal loss during POI.

RTH worked perfectly for me the one time I needed it ... when I completely lost sight and signal, but not during a POI flight.
The instruction I read said the P3P will go into RTH mode if there is a signal loss during POI.
There seems to be an issue with the New POI and Waypoints features in the app that negates the RTH feature and lands the Phantom instead of RTH. That will probably be addressed in app updates.

POI will continue to circle until battery warning and land.
POI will NOT RTH on signal lost. Why? During POI, there is a chance that the structure/object may block the line of sight this will end up in signal loss. You don't want the Phantom to go splat everytime it disappears behind a structure...

Maybe DJI should look and see if they can set RTH during POI to trigger when closest to pilot/home point.

Prior to this event of the fly away happening to me, I had been practicing POI, Waypoints, and some Follow me. I also wanted to use the RTH function, as I had not practice using RTH recently. Later, I went back and looked at the flight tracking. The H Home symbol was not where I had originated the flight at, but off in the trees on an adjacent property. Don't know how it got there, but my trust in RTH is no longer there until this issues gets resolved.

Ok. Time to man up. Operator error. Since I haven't been using RTH often, and when I did, instead of touching the RTH button on the controller, I was selecting a new Home Lock Position on the iPad, which happened to be over a tree. Lesson learned!! Always check where the Home Position prior to using the RTH home feature.
Also, the P3P has to be farther away (66 feet) prior to using home lock as per Mako79 well appreciated post. Thank You!!

Reactions: Cerone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers