Please help with Phantom 4 Pro Video to Premiere

Reaction score
Hello!
I am new owner of a P4 Pro. Recently moved from Karma. Had my first flight and recorded some really cool video. I am now having trouble viewing and editing in Premiere. I work on Mac not PC. I can bring in and edit fine in Final Cut, but prefer to work in Premiere. I have tried converting .mov to .mpg using Brosoft, but still no luck! Video is very janky and jerky. The highlights are flashy and flickering. Can someone please point me in the right direction to correct this? Do I need to change the camera settings? Happy to provide any information that can assist.
Thanks!
John

I work with a PC not MAC but I have the same problem, I find that my videos do not play on the computer if I film in 4K, so I usually film in 1920 x 1080 and it plays fine. Also before I film I set it to record in mp4 as that seems to play the best for me.
I would say try filming in 1080 x1920 or somthing lower then 4k.
Hope it helps :)

Thanks Firedrone! I will give that a try. Would also like to know if there is anything I can do with these videos that I currently have, so that I can edit in Premiere? Have heard of editing with a Proxy. Can someone let me know if this will work, or give another suggestion to be able to use these videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Firedrone
Ran into the same thing with my P4P+. Couldn't wait to see some 4K@60fps. Pulled the memory card from the bird put it into a USB reader and plugged it into my PC (Windows 10). Really disappointed, video was jerky and pixelating. Tried running it through my video editing program, Magix Pro 17, with the similar results. I took the USB reader with the memory card still in it and plugged it into my 4K Sony TV and WOW, there was the picture I was hoping to see. The movie played flawlessly without any stuttering and the quality was exceptional.
My theory is that my computer and or video card processor is not fast enough to render that much information. My TV told me that the camera and the video was not the problem. I then tried shooting at 1080 x1920 and my computer played it just fine. FWIW, I did read that if you use a Mac you should set the camera to .mov format and if you use a PC set it to MP4.

Video will also play better off the hard drive than your card reader. Copy it to the hard driver first. You need a pretty robust computer PC or Mac to edit 4k footage and have smooth playback.

Interesting that Final Cut works. My guess is it "downsamples" the footage to make it easier to edits and then uses the original for the final render. Maybe Premiere has a similar option?

In Premiere you can have your preview window show at 1/2 res 1/4 res.

I'm experiencing similar issues. You need a computer with an Intel i7 or i5 processor to play 4K smoothly.
You also need to transcode your 4K footage to play in premiere pro if you don't have a fast computer. ProRes 422 plays well on my 2012 iMac.
You can do this with Adobe Media Encoder:
How to encode video or audio in Adobe Media Encoder

You can also create proxies but that's more for editing. Not really for judging footage.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl