Please Help Quad Destroyed

Re: Please Help Quad Destroid

I have to say, from high speed flight, I would not use the GPS mode to slow the bird down. This puts the motors and ESCs under massive stress, as they will attempt to increase power to the front motors massively while chopping power to the rear motors - which produces large amounts of back EMF (Voltage generated as the motor continues to rotate).

This could well be the cause of the ESC or motor failure, leading to the crash.

When flying fast in atti, I will gently release the sticks and allow the quad to speed to drift down before attempting anything to abrupt. Same goes with cornering. A progressive yaw turn makes for an easy ride on the electronics and can still be quite sharp.

Sorry for you loss and hopefully you get back into the air shortly.

noiseboy72 said:
I have to say, from high speed flight, I would not use the GPS mode to slow the bird down. This puts the motors and ESCs under massive stress, as they will attempt to increase power to the front motors massively while chopping power to the rear motors - which produces large amounts of back EMF (Voltage generated as the motor continues to rotate).

This could well be the cause of the ESC or motor failure, leading to the crash.

When flying fast in atti, I will gently release the sticks and allow the quad to speed to drift down before attempting anything to abrupt. Same goes with cornering. A progressive yaw turn makes for an easy ride on the electronics and can still be quite sharp.

Sorry for you loss and hopefully you get back into the air shortly.

there is very little inertia in the props and the air hitting the prop from underneath will actually try and stop it spinning so I can't see how much bemf is going to be created??

I would think its due to what ever is causing all the other v3 crashes.. There has been like 5 on this forum lately, and heaps on other forums.....
Frank didn't have a v3 but had upgraded parts to make it v3-ish.

I think when he opens it up the problem will be revealed, hopefully. Atleast if he knows the cause of the crash its something to go on.. If its just a random thing, then I personally would not have confidence getting another one. Either way its very unfortunate situation :(

Just got off the phone with DBS....his went down this morning in exactly the same manner....lost in the lake.... :cry:

It's unfrigginbelievable.... :x

Here we have 2 very experienced pilots, both of whom have recently done the v3 mods (motors and esc's) and both experience the same horrific results... I believe DJI has a serious quality control issue and a recall is in order....

Frank, the solution mentioned above is a viable one. Put the card into another Phantom for recovery. If you have no one local, send it to me and I will do the recovery for you. If you want to do that, send me a PM and I will get you my mailing address.

mede8er said:
Here we have 2 very experienced pilots, both of whom have recently done the v3 mods (motors and esc's) and both experience the same horrific results... I believe DJI has a serious quality control issue and a recall is in order....

Well, maybe that's the root of the problem. Maybe the main board in a v2 doesn't like something about a v3 ecs and motor. I assume DJI is selling those parts for a v3 and has never said that they could be used to upgrade a v2 -- not that I'm defending DJI. Just looking at what the cause could be. Considering that quality control is WAY LOW on the list for Chinese manufacturing, it could also just boil down to a non-obvious faulty part or connection anywhere on the bird -- which could be just waiting to fail on all Phantoms. But the first thing I would ask DJI is whether v3 ecs/motor set can be used in a v2 without problems.

MM,

Authorized dealers are selling these kits as an upgrade....seems to me DJI approves of the practice....

I have been practicing in the field of consumer protection for 27 years...and these are just the 2 most recent examples of v3 quads falling out of the sky....

Doesn't pass my smell test.....

Mopar Bob said:
Frank, the solution mentioned above is a viable one. Put the card into another Phantom for recovery. If you have no one local, send it to me and I will do the recovery for you. If you want to do that, send me a PM and I will get you my mailing address.

This will work to get the file, but the file will most likely be corrupt due to not being properly closed when the recording function was stopped. If you do not turn off the record function before powering off the Phantom, it doesn't close the video file properly and it is corrupted, leaving a file which the players can't play back. This is of course exactly what happens when the unit is recording when it hits the ground and the battery is ejected.

Another way to retrieve the file is to put the microSD card into a normal SD-adapter card and read it directly into a computer from a typical card reader, then follow DronePilot's recommendation below. I've transferred corrupt video files via adapter cards and followed the below fix and the files have been recovered every time.

DronePilot said:
Sorry to hear of your loss frank, DBS also. I hope you find the culprit.

You might try this to recovery your video file.
http://live555.com/drones/DJI-Phantom-2-Vision+-video-fix/
I have used this and it works.

I also thought of something else. When you repair a corrupted file, you lose some of the last frames. Not sure how many, but it may be the part you are looking to view.

From the other threads I've been reading Frank quite possibly will find visual evidence of esc/motor failure (burnt MOSFET or melted wiring) when he opens it up....

Sorry for the loss of your quad, Frank. :cry: Looks to have suffered substantial damage. Hopefully you won't give up and will either repair or replace.

On your corrupt video, be sure to save a copy of the original corrupt file before sticking the memory card into another unit or attempting a repair. If a Phantom repairs the damage, you know you will lose at least the last 30 seconds of video and miss the crash. Other recovery software may be able to recover more of the file.

As to your stiff motors, I would wager this has to due with the impact rather than a general concurrent failure of two motors. The stator shaft may be bent, bearings crushed or bent, or a magnet(s) may have become dislodged.

Someone mentioned the stress of flipping from ATTI to GPS mode. Obviously any change of attitude/speed induces stress, but no more than flying full out in ATTI mode and pulling back completely on the control stick.

Again I am very sorry for the loss, and hope to see you back in the air soon.

Wow Frank! Really sorry to hear of your loss. I know this will be of absolutely no help to you, but the recounting of the situation was so enthralling it made my butthole pucker...it was like watching it drop with my own eyes. :shock:

Hope that at least gave you a laugh.

Nothing to do now but dust yourself off and get back on the horse.

this works, but you must pay... i've used it.. MP4repair.org

recommend you find a local drone meetup group or go to your local RC hobby store in hopes of finding a local phantom flyer to help recover your file...

Gut wrenching news, Frank, and certainly discouraging for others who may have decided to upgrade there P2 to a V3.
Something in the upgrade modification certainly appears out of order and contributing to this sort of malfunction, and such incidents only adds insult to injury.
Attempts to determine what may have broken down within the quad to cause such a crash will take time, but I'm sure a solution will be found. There are a lot of talented folks on this forum, and lots of good info. coming in all the time.

Respectfully,

I'm so glad to be surrounded by such a good group of people! We're not suppose to have to go through these type of things during this time of the year.

So as you can see I opened the flyNcat up today and was greeted with just what I thought I would. A total complete wreck. The only thing worth saving was the Flytrex Live 3G I had just recently installed. The camera/gimbal looks repairable. I see no signs of it being hit in any manner anywhere. The camera simply separated from the gimbal and has a spot that looks like a screw was pulled from the threaded area. Of coarse the ribbon is broke, but I have a new spare on hand.

I wrote a DJI representative today explaining the experience and requesting his help on the matter. I will share any feedback I gather from that. I also plan to email DJI support on the issue, as well as call the dealer in which I bought the quad from and request contact info to someone that will at least respect the situation I'm in as well as the other member who are associated with us here.

Because of the facts surrounding what has happened, my agenda is to ask DJI to replace my vPlus. I have went through the experience of loosing two other Vision & Vision Plus prior to this and each time I just ordered a new one the same day of the loss. One of those two losses was my actual fault. I never pursued my 1st loss out of ignorance. Much later I learned a faulty S1 toggle switch caused the fly away in which I never saw my copter again.

Thanks to each one of you for showing support. I really appreciate it!

Attachments

• 1crash80.jpg
    1crash80.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 297
  • 1crash90.jpg
    1crash90.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 315
  • 1crash110.jpg
    1crash110.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 1crash120.jpg
    1crash120.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 289
  • 1crash130.jpg
    1crash130.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 295
Could you see any electrical damage that may have caused the fault ?

BTW It looks like you have the same ESC as Bob and I.. I don't see v2.0 on the QR... Lets hope DJI don't give you any grief about that.

In the second last picture it looks like the mosfet is screwed ???? Actually it looks like 2 of them are screwed... or did you do that when soldered in the motors ? They got some gray thing on them..

cougar said:
But the soldering looks very suspect and might be the issue?

Exactly.

Lots of ham-fisted soldering on display in those photos. If the OP is going to try to blame DJI and try to file some kind of claim he would delete those photos if he was smart. They certainly cast doubt upon the true cause of his crash.

In which pictures are you refering to exactly ?
All the motor connections seem to be fine, not like factory, but they are all still connected, except the one pic where it looks like they were pulled out when the arm cracked off. ?

if the mosfets are damaged in the second last picture and they are the cause, hardly Franks fault.. but maybe its just the pics and they are not damaged.

hemorrhagic flyer said:
cougar said:
But the soldering looks very suspect and might be the issue?

Exactly.

Lots of ham-fisted soldering on display in those photos. If the OP is going to try to blame DJI and try to file some kind of claim he would delete those photos if he was smart. They certainly cast doubt upon the true cause of his crash.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1