Please Help Quad Destroyed

Reaction score
Exactly 1 hour ago I watched my quad drop from the sky from 250ft onto a neighbors cement driveway some 200ft from where I was standing. I had just went out because I only had around 30 minutes of day light left and I wanted to make a test flight to gather data that had to do with the new V3 motor upgrade. I had done my usual compass calibration before a test flight. I wanted my data to be on par as much as possible. This test is one that member Justin00 and myself decided to do late last night. We knew that Justin had different ESC's then what I had, and he didn't seem to think his was as less noisy as what MoparBob and I had described since doing the upgrade. Justin also felt that his props were spinning much faster since upgrading his quad. So anyway, I thought since Justin and I both had Flight loggers, we could launch our quad full throttle up to 100ft and then make a note on how many milliseconds it took to reach the 100ft mark. I did 3 of these test back to back and then wanted to fly a little more since I had so much battery left. I began feeling some wind blowing a little so I flew around 900ft from my home point and position my quad where I let it hover a short time. I then lock full throttle flying with the wind, and in no time the quad had topped out on the highest speed it was going to go. Which happened to be a little over 48mph, which is no big thing for me or my quad. To slow it down I do the usual and flip it back into GPS mode and reverse the throttle. It slows down like a dream and I turn in the direction of home point and proceed to fly home which was only about 400 something feet away. The quad reaches halfway and out of nowhere it comes to a sudden stop even though I still have the lever pressed in the direction to get home. And as it is quickly slowing to this stop it rolls down to it's right side and begins dropping fast. I did actually have a split second of time to tell myself to push both levers down to csc position as if I was attempting to restart the motors. But just as I could see there was no response it was colliding with the driveway where it made a loud crash sound. When I got to where it laid, right away I could see debree scattered around a 20ft diameter. Then I saw the camera separated from the gimbal, and the battery was out of the quad but still powered on with the green lights doing their usual flashing. And of coarse I gathered everything up and walked home with glazed eyes and a feeling on just being robbed. All I could think of is how others with the same quad upgrades have been experiencing the same thing, and those numbers have been increasing by the day.

Most of you know I'm on here trying to help those who are having whatever type of issue. I actually have my own multicopter website but I choose to spend my time here helping where ever I can. I consider myself as knowing what I'm doing when it comes to the vPlus. I have now went through buying 3 phantom visions. One phantom 2 vision & Two vPluses. All 3 has turned into total losses. I take the blame for one of the 3. I'm here to tell it now that this is not my fault in anyway. You can see in the pic's the quad hit so hard on the two motors on the right that almost all the freakin paint I had on the quad like exploded off in flakes. I have looked at the data from two flight loggers I had installed on the quad. One is attached, where as the other is by a app and reads it's data internally right from the quad. The end of the data from each of the two are missing because they were shutdown in the wrong manner. Actually the Flytrex was able to get the most data near the end when the crash took place. But it just doesn't have the actual event. I can not get the video from the last bit due to not being able to power up & off the quad properly. Maybe someone knows of another option.

It sounds like a 1000 bits & pieces are rattling inside the covers. I know the GPS puck was shattered, and who knows what else at the moment.

So as I say I strongly feel this is NOT of my doings. Expecially when others are explaining the same characteristics when their quad rolls and drops. We all know things happen for a reason. But now I'm the one in need of help to get back on my feet, somehow.

Attachments

• 1crash30.jpg
    1crash30.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 2,021
  • 1crash40.jpg
    1crash40.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 1,998
  • 1crash50.jpg
    1crash50.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,934
  • 1crash60.jpg
    1crash60.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,964
  • 1crash70.jpg
    1crash70.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 1,952
Re: Please Help Quad Destroid

Wow... :( ... that bugger hit the ground hard bro ...

Sorry to hear it happen to ya like that Frank...

suppose with the age of mine i should be expecting something sooner or later...

they don't stay in the air forever right?

I'm sympathetic. I know the feeling well. 40 years flying R/C.... I've made that long walk back carrying a shattered airframe carcass many times. Sometimes pilot error, usually equipment/structure failure. These drones are a whole new ballgame for me. I'm much more dependent on complicated interrelated electromechanical systems than anything I've flown before. I'm confident, and you've reinforced, that failure of one little component of the many components that make a Phantom might bring me down without there being anything I can do. In my past, equipment failure has been hinges, horns, clevises, wing or empennage structure. Now, I don't have to worry about structural problems, I have to worry about electronics, the quality and reliability of which I simply have no control over. And it's even a bigger problem since I now have 4 motors to worry about, all of which have to be working well, with no cushion for failure since these things just. don't. glide. I've brought planes in with a flapping control surface, engine failure or other such components failures. I won't get that chance when my number comes up with this Phantom. Years of experience wont get me a thing.

Condolences Frank.

That sucks. Sounds very similar to what happened to me except I was 5feet off the ground instead of 200. Best of luck figuring out what happen.

Man Frank, that must have been a horrible few minutes, watching the crash and gathering up the pieces. I just wanted to offer my condolences, I'm really sorry to read this.
And no, it certainly doesn't look like any of this was your fault.

I'm very sorry to hear about your crash. I have read many of your posts and have always found you to be very helpful and insightful. As for the cause of the roll, could possibly a ESC/motor upgrade mismatch been contributory? I ask only because I have my motors ready to Install and my ESC has the "v2 " on the circuit board, but not on the label. Sorry again to hear about your loss.

Sorry about the crash. A bad feeling, losing the ability to affect the situation. I've seen a few posts on forums about ESC failure with the P2V+V3. Don't know if the problem is happening to a particular ESC or any/all of them, but I think it's the latter. You point out that you've read of problems similar to yours and a pretty common occurance at the beginning of the phantom going off program - and this dates back to pre-V3 - is a sudden dip to THE RIGHT. All of the components in each of the arms is the same (right?), so why is a dip in a particular direction so common? What kind of sensor glitch or software malfunction or hardware failure could cause that? Or is it that I just haven't seen enough of these posts and people report dips in various directions at the start of loss of control?

Im also sorry to hear of your loss... but i cant stop thinking about your pictures from this post...

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912

I know you assured us that the soldering job to the right was perfectly safe, but it sure does look like several fly away strands of wire are loose there.... just begging to short out on the adjacent negative terminal. I hope this had nothing to do with it... but it scared me then and still does now.

Again.. I'm very sorry for you loss. I also have a V2+ with v2esc and my upgraded motor are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... not sure I want to install them either now.

Doug Fletcher

:( :( :(

Have you been able to open it up yet and inspect the internals ?
I has got to be the ESC or motors that is the problem. This has happened to like 5 v'3s in the past 2 weeks... and now you with the upgraded v2 :[ Hopefully a few of you can band together and get DJI to relies there is a problem. I would suggest lawyering up, but it would cost way more than buying a new one.

Sorry for your loss :( :(

There is definitely something fkup here for this **** to happen to so many machines. I feel particularly bad because I just finished posting the sound level tests I did before I saw your post. Everything on my end seems so good. Good hovering, no heat. Just like you reported last week. So it sounds to me that its not a matter of will it happen to others like myself, but when. And the saddest thing is, DJI does not seem to catch on that they have problems. What I think they should do, and maybe DJI is reading this, is to do a post mortum on your machine with the best techs they can muster. And fix the freakin thing.

Anyway, don't get discouraged. And like others have already said, your help on this forum has been a big plus for us all.

I agree with Mopar Bob, please don't get discouraged your posts have helped me and many others. If you or anyone on the Forum determines the cause please let us know
Thanks for all of your posts

dbfletcher said:
Im also sorry to hear of your loss... but i cant stop thinking about your pictures from this post...

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912

I know you assured us that the soldering job to the right was perfectly safe, but it sure does look like several fly away strands of wire are loose there.... just begging to short out on the adjacent negative terminal. I hope this had nothing to do with it... but it scared me then and still does now.

Again.. I'm very sorry for you loss. I also have a V2+ with v2esc and my upgraded motor are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow... not sure I want to install them either now.

Doug Fletcher

Thanks to all of you that read the thread and share some kind responses. dbfletcher, I think the last I mentioned about what you are referring to was all good. I also later the evening cleaned it up. When I pull the cover again I will get another pic for you. It sounds like everything inside is busted all to crap though, so I don't know what to expect.

Ok guys, Two things to add for now. One is I went to spin each motor and the two with broken props are hard to turn! It feels like the magnets in those two motors are a 100 times stronger then when installed. Kind of like something went wrong electronically causing to put them in this same condition which would be no way they would spin, thus lock up and go into the roll I described.

I had V2 on ESC's but I can't remember what the label showed off hand. I'm now feeeling like maybe I should have bought the new ESC's. BUT....I just helped to new members yesterday that had just got New V3 vPlus from DJI and both had the same thing as what mine did here today.

The other thing is in the pic that is not one of the quad, it shows what was frozen on my monitor after the crash. It appears that I should have video to the point of impact. I need someone to tell me if there is another option to get the video without sticking back in the quad like you normally would.

pterrill said:
I agree with Mopar Bob, please don't get discouraged your posts have helped me and many others. If you or anyone on the Forum determines the cause please let us know
Thanks for all of your posts
++1

Frank, I am sorry to read your misfortune. Like everyone has stated, you are one of the most helpful persons dealing with us noobs. I hope DJI starts to realize there are some problems as there are several new quad mfg. that will gladly take a bite out of DJI's pockets. I hope you get it rectified quickly.

Open that puppy up Frank and have a look.
Please also tell us as well what the label on your ESC says.

Stick the SD card in Justin00's quad and see if you can recover the files that way.

How do you guys think a Phantom, which had flown many problem free flights, would behave if one of its motors suddenly quit in flight? Wouldn't it yaw and descend abruptly, fall out of the sky, and crash? And then would you blame its failure on fatigue or a defect?

I think i'm about 20,000km away :[

Noël said:
Stick the SD card in Justin00's quad and see if you can recover the files that way.

Great Pumpkin said:
How do you guys think a Phantom, which had flown many problem free flights, would behave if one of its motors suddenly quit in flight? Wouldn't it yaw and descend abruptly, fall out of the sky, and crash? And then would you blame its failure on fatigue or a defect?

Yes, motor failure will cause the Phantom to flip and plummet to the ground. Motor failure/ESC failure does not cause Phantoms to drift away or "fly away."

When this happens, the Phantom might be destroyed (or "destroid" in frankspeak).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20