Play P3 MP4 video on smart tv

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Sharp LC70UD1U_OM smart tv that supposedly can play MP4 and MOV files up to 4k .

First, nothing would play from the Phantom. I had it set to MOV. So I tried converting to MP4. Still no go. Then I realized natively the P3 could create the video in MP4. So I switched to MP4, and realized the P3 app was set to PAL (I'm in the USA.) so I've now confirmed - MP4, NTSC, 4096x2160. Yet still "Cannot play video."
Any suggestions? I know this isn't directly Phantom related, but figured maybe someone had an idea. I'm trying to find some other standard 4k video files - maybe something from my gopro - to try and see if that will play, and just a basic 1080p video.

Your tv might not have the right codec to play the video format. Maybe try casting to your smart tv but with it being 4k it may not work. What way are you trying to play the file? On a usb?

With the GoPro, I'd just run a HDMI cable from GoPro to an input on TV and GoPro has its own play menu. With the Phantom, I just take the memory card, place it in an USB adapter and plug it into the USB port of the TV. Perhaps Mal is correct, check your TV's manual or manufacturer's web page.

To be safe, I plug into a port not powered for device charging.

Searching the tv manual for codec: Nothing. VIdeo formats shows MOV/MP4 (among others) and says "
H.264
MPEG4
Motion Jpeg
But even with a Google search, I'm not seeing any reference to what codecs it supports :( It DID play a 1080p video shot with Android based camera. Woudln't play video from GoPro.

Just read the specs on your tv and it says the 4 hdmi inputs are capable of 4k input, maybe you need a 4k player like the gopro or an android 4k tv box?

Maybe the screen is 4k but it doesn't have an internal 4k player? Sounds strange but plausible?

Have you done all the updates on the TV? Perhaps call their customer support.

Have you done all the updates on the TV? Perhaps call their customer support.

It's a work TV so kind of limited as to what extent I can troubleshoot the TV :) Appreciate all the replies / help but sounds like this may be a no go. Will probably invest in a 4k monitor for my home soon, but that will then hook up to a computer, but still then I can mess around with updates and such :)

(unless anyone has other ideas)<grin>

The USB input is capable of photo, music, and video playback of your favorite content. With 4K photo playback, you'll be able to see amazing clarity and detail from your 8MP images.

The USB input is capable of photo, music, and video playback of your favorite content. With 4K photo playback, you'll be able to see amazing clarity and detail from your 8MP images.

Not sure what you're trying to say? I would assume it can play back 4k Video. There's nothing (that I see) to say otherwise?

If it were capable of both photo and video, why would it only mention photo, is all I'm trying to say. I would assume it should be able to display 4k video and 4k photos, so why distinguish in the description at all?

You've found the limitation for image files, I wonder what it is for video files? Aren't phantom photos 12 MP

If it were capable of both photo and video, why would it only mention photo, is all I'm trying to say. I would assume it should be able to display 4k video and 4k photos, so why distinguish in the description at all?

Good point and good question. Some marketing person perhaps decided that? :)

I'll try to convert it with a more common codec (kinda hard as I can't find what codecs will work) and that'll be my last ditch effort :)

Anyone have a suggestion as to what a fairly universal codec is to try?

I also Google'd around a bit, and there are a couple Amazon reviews that say "forget about playing 4k over USB, it's not supported"

I also Google'd around a bit, and there are a couple Amazon reviews that say "forget about playing 4k over USB, it's not supported"

I'm using SD :) Not sure if that makes a difference (I believe it's a tad quicker, no?)

My Vizio will only play 4k from a flashdrive if it's h.265 with acc audio. Handbreak didn't work either- I had to encode it with DivX.

But on a 4k TV, watching 4k video that hasn't been destroyed by Youtube is really something special. If your computer is able to play 4k video, you can try connecting your TV as an display.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic