Picked Up A Phantom 3 Adv for $265

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, New to the forum - Atlanta, GA

I got insanely lucky on Craigslist last week and picked up a Phantom 3 Adv with a broken yaw arm and ribbon cable for $265. That was the only issue with it. When I went to pick it up the guy insisted that we fly it, gave me the run through on basic operation, let me fly it and gave me a 2 week return policy if I didn't crash it. He was a really nice, genuine, and kind guy, ex military on top of that. If you're on here, THANK YOU

After figuring out what parts I needed, I've ordered them and am impatiently waiting. I've flown it twice so far for 15 min each, going up to a nerve racking 300ft, hovering, just getting used to the controls. (this isn't my first quad). I've registered with the FAA, I'm familiar with the guidelines, etc. Everything seems perfect!

So, as a new Phantom owner - what do I need to check out or watch for on a used bird? What would you do with it to make sure its in perfect working order?

Thanks,
Matt

Reactions: Ken Hanks
Welcome, congrats on the deal. Make sure your firmware is up to date on everything, drone, controller and batteries. Never fly with less than 100% charged batteries, you never know what issues may occur in flight. Keep batteries warm during winter flights, cold batteries = less flight time. And I would consider a GPS tracker, at least if a fly away occurs you can find it.
Happy flying

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ken Hanks
Well come on in, to the forum and Phantom 3 family.
Yes, that's an awesome deal you found, way to fly. ;-)
Hopefully you can continue to have more sucess with it, than the previous Pilot had.

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker

So, as a new Phantom owner - what do I need to check out or watch for on a used bird? What would you do with it to make sure its in perfect working order?
Nice deal, that's a bargain.

I'd suggest watch all the instructional videos on the DJI site, they were quite detailed and helpful for making sure you know what to do and expect.

Now get some spare batteries :)

Welcome. Take it slow and don't put the camera back on until u are use to the controls. It might take a week or so. Stay away from trees as they tend to reach out and grab drones. This is the part u need to read....when u are repairing the camera. watch the videos until u are sick of them. You tube has videos on how to repair. DON'T make the mistake I made with my fat fingers. The locking clips that hold the ribbon cable break very easy. I flipped one up and it flew across the room. Very hard to put back. I tried to put it back and broke the edge. Now I needed a new board as u can't fix it.
Maybe it's just me but the clips seem cheap. Very hard to find just the part u need. Yaw arms etc are easy and reasonable. Circuit boards not so much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav