Phone rebooted during flight!

Reaction score
So I was mid-flight had been watching on my phone screen and looked up to check my P4 - however when I looked back down I saw my splash screen on my phone!

Heart stopped! ...face dropped!

...I'm running a custom ROM on my my Galaxy S7E and have forever been having trouble with my SD card....I only presume this is what caused the issue as have once again been greeted with an unsupported SD card notification, although can still access data etc...

...Otherwise maybe it was the GO4 App that crashed since it seems to be known as incompatible with the S7.

Regardless!...

I'm relieved to say I could still control my P4 and once I got home I discovered it had continued recording video - even for the next 4mins back on the ground while I got my S7E back to normal.

I appreciate RTH would/should of kicked in eventually if lost contact however thought I'd share as it could be good to know for some.

It would seem as long as r/c is on and has juice you're fine - phone/tab is essentially your eyes.

Why ? You'd rather risk losing your drone with some screwed up jail broken phone, it doesn't make any difference to your flights.

Your controller should always have control of the craft, regardless what your display device is doing, or even it's disconnected. If you have VLOS you can simply fly back manually by sight. Otherwise, if you don't have VLOS, you can enable RTH to get the craft close by so you can see it, then disable RTH and take over command again and land manually. This is why it's so important to have your RTH height set at a good height based on your surroundings, and never fly somewhere that your RTH height would not be adequately high enough.

It's the phone. I'm using my s7 edge also and it does the same thing every once in a while. That's why I make sure I don't lose sight of my drone. I'm trying to sell it right now to get an iphone 7 plus. Lol

Reactions: grin factor
I am used to crashes of the Go 4 App and sometimes my tablet (Nvidia Shield K1).
If you have line of sight, there is no problem. You still have full control.
I am also glad that crashing of Go or Phone/Tablet doesn't trigger RTH. Occasionally I remove the USB connector to switch between Go and Litching during a flight. I would want it to start RTH then!

Why ? You'd rather risk losing your drone with some screwed up jail broken phone, it doesn't make any difference to your flights.
Personal preference, essentially I like to debloat the phone and stay up to date with latest software and security fixes - and add some customisation.

Phone was rooted before I got the P4.

Your controller should always have control of the craft, regardless what your display device is doing, or even it's disconnected. If you have VLOS you can simply fly back manually by sight. Otherwise, if you don't have VLOS, you can enable RTH to get the craft close by so you can see it, then disable RTH and take over command again and land manually. This is why it's so important to have your RTH height set at a good height based on your surroundings, and never fly somewhere that your RTH height would not be adequately high enough.
Cheers John, yeah I found this one out...much to my relief!

In hindsight, it makes perfect sense!

Gradually building up my confidence after getting my P4 back in Jan this year.

Good idea about the RTH and then cancel to take control back again!

I am used to crashes of the Go 4 App and sometimes my tablet (Nvidia Shield K1).
If you have line of sight, there is no problem. You still have full control.
I am also glad that crashing of Go or Phone/Tablet doesn't trigger RTH. Occasionally I remove the USB connector to switch between Go and Litching during a flight. I would want it to start RTH then!
I didn't realize Go crashed so much on Android. My iPad almost never crashes the Go/Go4 app, only once in 2yrs and 3mil ft+ flight distance.

Reactions: rene van der meer
I have crashes on my Samsung phone and tablet too, They seem to be a bit random, in average about every 30 min of active use. Another annoying thing is that you lose the current flight records. The other day I was doing some long range testing and after 18 minutes the tablet rebooted just as I was about to land. There is no record of the long range flight at all in the app, only the 20 m flight home after the reboot. :p

Personal preference, essentially I like to debloat the phone and stay up to date with latest software and security fixes - and add some customisation.

Phone was rooted before I got the P4.

I agree. Telco companies put so much crap on new phones these days, it eats up alot of your memory, and slows your device. They all just want to put their own little piece of crap on them to make them their brand.

Rooting your device gives you back the right to have what YOU want on the device YOU bought

The android version of the DJI Go app crashed on my Galaxy phone nearly every time. That is why I switched to the iPad Mini4. The IOS version on the iPad has been trouble free. The good news is that the remote control still worked every time. It doesn't need the mobile device.

As mentioned above, double check the RHT altitude. It is heavily wooded where I fly most of the time, so I set the RHT altitude at least 50 feet above the trees in case the terrain changes along the way.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj