Phone App & No Fly Zone

Reaction score
I just got my P3P back from repair, it had the original firmware & of course they did the latest update for me, now I am restricted by Geo-Fencing where I wasn't before. I use a dedicated tablet for my P3P, NVidia Shield, I did not have a need for mapping or did I needing to know my location, I fly up take some pictures & back on the ground, if I can't see it I don't fly there, that's me I'm a safety kinda guy. I live on an island in the Florida Keys & there is a single landing strip for private planes, my P3P won't arm & as you see I can't even be on a boat out at sea & fly, that's where some of your most awesome shots are when your buddy is fighting a fish & it comes jumping out of the water, you can film from above, at least I use too.

With that said I will now be forced to use my phone instead of my tablet. I've been reading about this & I guess it's going to prompt me that I am in a no fly zone & I have to sign into my dji account and/ or tell it I am responsible, haven't done this yet so still a bit unsure. Trying to get all this info in my head before a day out on the boat. I have some questions & hope I can get some answers & what to expect.

1. In the Yellow Zone there are 2 areas, the center circle is darker then the outer circle. Depending on what area I'm in what will it advise? I'm guessing outer circle I just say I'll be responsible because its farther away & the inner circle I need to submit a request? Am I correct or even close?

2. If I'm using my phone app & flying what happens if I get a call or text message? Will it interrupt my flight, hoping it won't over ride what I'm doing & interrupt me.

Thanks

Attachments

• Geo-Fencing, Marathon Florida Keys.jpg
    Geo-Fencing, Marathon Florida Keys.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 517
Also yes if you get a call it will go to the call screen as if you were in any other app, on iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you want to prevent phone calls from interrupting your flight, put the phone into airplane mode first. For the WiFi based drones, enable WiFi and select the drone's access point.

Do you want to take a call while operating a drone?

I have a similar issue, living near an unpaved airstrip.. sure it's a bit of a pain but if you jump into DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access before you lift, tap and authorise the areas you need - you should be away with no interruptions inflight.

Do that from home before you leave, via a laptop/desktop - the clearance lasts for 24hrs so you can fly offline or in airplane mode as normal.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Does Litchi have geofencing? You may not want to use it but it's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I don't want to use it, don't want any surprises in the air, heard mixed reviews about Litchi. Could just be pilot error but not comfortable using it.

I don't mind if someone calls me I just won't answer. Just want to make sure while I'm flying the call doesn't take over the screen & I loose visual. Think I'll fly & have my wife call & see what happens. The weather has been so windy lately I can't seem to try it out. Thanks for your input.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj