Phanton 2 Vision Camera Quality?

Reaction score
Is the standard camera on this Phantom 2 Vision good enough for stock footage quality? Is it as good as the GoPro or similar in quality?

Thanks!

Mike

The GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition is regarded as being a good bit better.

No, its not as good as a Go-Pro, especially the Hero 4K edition.

But that little setup will cost you quite a bit more than a P2V+. You'd need a P2V, a gimbal, a go pro, an OSD, a wireless transmitter and receiver (perhaps a lightbridge for $1300), and a monitor. $2,300 easy, way more for a lightbridge model, or if you choose to use a Futuba controller.

And that is WAY less than a DJI Spreading Wings model that can fly a Nikon, Sony or Cannon.

You can also look at Walkera, Parrot, Blade, Align, BSS Discovery, and several of the do-it-yourself Arduino multi-rotors.

If you want something that can shoot 1080P at 30FPS, or 720p at 60 FPS out of the box with built in FPV, than the DJI Phantom Vision Plus CANNOT be beat.

I have been back and forth in my mind since buying the p2v+ and there are two answers, the short one, and easy answer is No the GoPro is the hands down winner, especially the 4.

That's the short and simple answer, BUT there is a much longer answer.... After research, and LOTS of footage comparison I have come to this I have been back and forth in my mind since buying the p2v+ and there are two answers, the short one, and easy answer is No the GoPro is the hands down winner, especially the 4. That's the short and simple answer, BUT there is a much longer answer.... After research, and LOTS of footage comparison I have come to this conclusion... The P2V+ CAN be just as good (not better but equal) as the GoPro, even the 4. Obviously you won't shoot 4K with the P2V+ but that can actually be a good thing when you consider file size and ability to edit the raw footage, it takes ALOT of CPU power to do!! That being said and putting 4K in its own class and not discussing that any further right now, when compared side by side 1080P at 30FPS out of both cameras are pretty close to the same. Raw footage is raw footage, and straight out of the GoPro it "looks" a little better BUT run it through an editing program, do some color correction, remove noise, reduce fish eye, and you will still have amazing video from the P2V+. Camera settings matter as well, and the P2V+ in my opinion is much easier to work with because of the app. Low light work can be hit or miss, but that is with both the GP4 and the P2V+.

Now briefly consider still images, comparing the GP4 and the P2V+ really the V+ wins in my opinion. The GP4 is good at stills, but frankly getting the setting where I wanted them was a bit of a hassle and at times down right frustrating, the GP wifi failed at about 8 feet (regardless of what they say I have owned all 4 models and they all had terrible remote capabilities via the app. and don't even THINK of strapping it on an aircraft!!) the V+ to me is better at just about everything still image wise.

My assessment is this; having owned both the GP4 and the P2V+, decide what you want, if it's 4k then I absolutely have no choice but to recommend the GP4 for obvious reasons. If you want a package that is going to give you professional quality video, plus top of the line aircraft options straight out of the box then I say go P2V+, just understand your post production is going to be substantially more labor intensive, but your end result can easily be the same.

I know that explanation might sound pretty contradictory, but after weeks of buyers remorse buying the P2V+, I have found that I actually really love the entire platform that it offers over the GP4 options that exist. It is an extremely capable camera especially in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing.

My disclaimer is this: I flew the GP4 on a Blade 350 QX2 with a 2 axis gimbal, that platform may have made the outcome a little different but since I no longer have the GP4, or Blade, and I do not own an H3-3D gimbal I can't do a side-by-side comparison, I have only been able to compare footage shot at different times lol....

**** I wrote that whole review and realized you asked about the Phantom 2 Vision not the Phantom 2 Vision+ lol FML [emoji23][emoji23]

Gopro will give you better video but V+ is pretty close and the difference is minimal enough that the decision should be made on factors other than video quality of the two cameras. I was in this dilema not long ago and decided to go the gopro route, so far I'm happy that I did.

I'd like to correct DrJoe, about the cost of V+ vs Gopro setup. I got h3-3d fpv setup including gopro4 silver for $1550usd, includes h3-3d, iosd mini, 7" screen, rx, tx, antennas, mounts, gopro4 etc... V+ goes for around $1250 so the price difference is actually pretty small and with gopro setup you do have a camera you can use for other things as well. If you damage your V+ gimbal your costs will be much higher than with h3-3d setup.
In the end it's personal preference IMO.

aggiesrwe03 said:
**** I wrote that whole review and realized you asked about the Phantom 2 Vision not the Phantom 2 Vision+ lol FML [emoji23][emoji23]
Same camera ... only differences are the housing and gimbal

As with any camera with a small sensor an important factor is lighting. The Vision + is not great in low light but in my opinion neither is the GoPro, even GoPro 4. Shooting in the daytime the Vision + produces good photos. You can shoot in RAW and it does great on a sunny day.

Attachments

• Sunny-1.jpg
    Sunny-1.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 458
  • Sunny-2.jpg
    Sunny-2.jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 503
  • Sunny-3.jpg
    Sunny-3.jpg
    540.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Sunny-4.jpg
    Sunny-4.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 448
I think the GoPro has a much more film-like quality. Both cameras, with some post-processing, can be made to look beautiful. The GoPro is much better out-of-the-box so the the PV2+ requires a little more after-shoot work. I do like the RAW still capability on the PV2+.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl