Phantoms BEGGING for your help-- iOSD Install on PH2, H3-3D, AVL58 5.8G VidLink

Reaction score
IMG_4376 copy.jpg
IMG_4373 copy.jpg
IMG_4371 copy.jpg
IMG_4372 copy.jpg
So I just bought an iOSD mini and connected it to a Phantom 2 with an AVL58 Video Link. After a few hours of searching and viewing iOSD installations on YouTube, I came across every type of install other than one similar to the set up of my Phantom. As you can see it looks like a bloody mess and my phantom would be embarrased to be seen in the company of any other phantoms.

Things are up and operational, but when I power the device on I have to set the FPV Hub switch to iOSD. Once I'm powered on my LCD displays iOSD info, nothing from the GoPro. When I flip the FPV Hub switch to VID I have both the iOSD info and go pro image. Does not work the other way around. I assume there has to be another way I could go about this and would appreciate any suggestions.

As you can see it's a horrible looking job with all the exposed wires. It would be ideal if someone could offer some details, not only on how to power on my unit without having to toggle switches, but also to get rid of these power and fpv boards by pulling power off the Vid port on Main Board and connecting things similar to all the youtube tutorials where only a transmitter is on the belly of the phantom.

Last edited:
Images of my installation

Attachments

• IMG_4371 copy.jpg
    IMG_4371 copy.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 1,206
  • IMG_4372 copy.jpg
    IMG_4372 copy.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 766
  • IMG_4373 copy.jpg
    IMG_4373 copy.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 2,080
  • IMG_4376.jpg
    IMG_4376.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 650
Last edited:
Hi Josh, I'm not sure how much help I can be as my setup is different to yours. However, the IOS-D can definitely fit inside the Phantom and I am fairly sure the fpv hub should as well but I guess you are saying that unless you start the Phantom up in IOS-D mode, you don't get any picture at all so you need access to the switch. That doesn't sound right to me. Really, the only items on the outside of the Phantom should be the transmitter and the gimbal anti-interference board.

Casper,

Your response to my post is greatly appreciated.

I was hoping to put the iOSD inside the phantom. Unfortunately the wires that I have linking the power and FPV board are nowhere near long enough to run in to the phantom and back to the transmitter and gimbal. If there is a wiring kit for the AVL58 transmitter other than what I have I've yet to find it and would be grateful to anyone that might steer me in the right direction. I'm capable of soldering and doing the work if I had color coded wires. Pulling those gray wires apart and figuring which serves what purpose is beyond my scope of knowledge.

As for the iOSD switch, you are correct. I just got off the phone with DJI and something is definitely wrong with my main board. They issued me an RMA and emailed me a UPS label to send the unit in for repair.

Really, the only items on the outside of the Phantom should be the transmitter and the gimbal anti-interference board.
And in fact the anti interference board is designed to screw into the main board.

I don't have the P2 no more but I know you cannot use the DJI hub if you want the clean look. The cables are not long enough. You can however extend the cables doing cut and solder..

I mounted my DJI hub onto the IOSD and I had the interference board on the inside. Make sure the USB on the IOSD is accessible.
P2%20iosd%20avl58%20resized.jpg

On a side note, I also dabbed a bit of glue on the antenna to make sure no one would remove the antenna. Powering on the transmitter with no antenna will fry the transmitter.

And in fact the anti interference board is designed to screw into the main board.
I think it may help with cable lengths if the interference board is on the outside? When I got my Phantom, the dealer had fitted the board on the outside and I found there was enough room for the 600vtx alongside it, so i just kept it where it is.
I'm not sure about allowing access to the USB port on the IOS-D, my understanding is that so long as the firmware is at the latest version you shouldn't need to touch it again.

If either of you fellows here willing to do hard wire soldering you could place iOSD and interference board neatly inside the shell With only two wires outside one for the gimbal and the other foe the AVL58 TX. This is the setup for the AVL58.
IMG_5551.jpg IMG_4641.jpg
This setup is for the immersion 600mw TX
IMG_1550.jpg IMG_1554.jpg
The interference board can be mounted right next to the control module in both setups in fact there two screws there to mount that module there. Here's a video on how to mount the interference module.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Man that AVL58 is HUGE.. is like 3 times bigger than ImmersionRC 600mW... also it requires a special board?? seems like going AVL is a bulky solution. Any reason you went with it as opposed to ImmerionRC?

Man that AVL58 is HUGE.. is like 3 times bigger than ImmersionRC 600mW... also it requires a special board?? seems like going AVL is a bulky solution. Any reason you went with it as opposed to ImmerionRC?

The AVL58 does not require a special board if it's hard wired which means doing some some soldering. If you don't care to solder then you would need the plug n play FPN hub module. There is also a AVL58 lite Which is about the same size as the immersion 600mw TX.

The AVL58 does not require a special board if it's hard wired which means doing some some soldering. If you don't care to solder then you would need the plug n play FPN hub module. There is also a AVL58 lite Which is about the same size as the immersion 600mw TX.

Interesting.. I wonder what power the light one has has.. AVL58 I think is 100mW less than ImmersionRC

Interesting.. I wonder what power the light one has has.. AVL58 I think is 100mW less than ImmersionRC

It's a 500mw TX.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31