Phantom4 Firmware

Reaction score
Hi there to all Phantom Pilots,
I purchased a pre owned Phantom4 several weeks ago which was in perfect condition ie no cracks, scratches etc.
Being a new Phantom Pilot, I began reading many posts on this forum from Pilots who had tremendous knowledge and experience and very willing to share information and advise.
On my first flight, and eager to try much of the DJI Go 4 settings, I was very impressed in the performance of the drone, this was until I activated the "RTH" function, instead of performing this feature, my drone elevated from a height of 10m to 90m and just hovered at this altitude. Panic quickly set in as the drone was unresponsive to any commands, I was waiting for the battery to exhaust at which point thought the drone would fall with fatal consequence.
Fortunately a quick search found that I could cancel the "RTH" function at which point I regained control and safely brought the drone back to terra firmer.
After further flights, experienced the same "RTH" issue and was about to contact DJI advice.
After checking previous posts on "PhantomPilots" I read that this was a reasonably common occurrence with Phantom4s that had upgraded Firmware to 02.00.0810, I eagerly checked my current Firmware and yes my drone had the 02.00.0810 Firmware installed which was a strong possibility of causing the "RTH" issue.
Many thanks to this Forum, I back loaded Firmware version 02.00.0700, fortunately this ended my "RTH" problem, in the future I may upgrade Firmware back to 02.00.0810 and see if DJI have made any changes to prevent the "RTH" function.
If the latest Firmware caused such a widespread issue, one would have expected DJI provide a statement and assistance to support its many customers who without "PhantomPilots" would have been in the dark.
It just proves how valuable your Forum is, in providing drone assistance, I cannot speak highly enough of "PhantomPilots" and eagerly read the regular posts pertaining to Phantom4 drones.
Keep up the good work.
Regards,
John Grace (Melbourne Australia)

Hi there to all Phantom Pilots,
I purchased a pre owned Phantom4 several weeks ago which was in perfect condition ie no cracks, scratches etc.
Being a new Phantom Pilot, I began reading many posts on this forum from Pilots who had tremendous knowledge and experience and very willing to share information and advise.
On my first flight, and eager to try much of the DJI Go 4 settings, I was very impressed in the performance of the drone, this was until I activated the "RTH" function, instead of performing this feature, my drone elevated from a height of 10m to 90m and just hovered at this altitude. Panic quickly set in as the drone was unresponsive to any commands, I was waiting for the battery to exhaust at which point thought the drone would fall with fatal consequence.
Fortunately a quick search found that I could cancel the "RTH" function at which point I regained control and safely brought the drone back to terra firmer.
After further flights, experienced the same "RTH" issue and was about to contact DJI advice.
After checking previous posts on "PhantomPilots" I read that this was a reasonably common occurrence with Phantom4s that had upgraded Firmware to 02.00.0810, I eagerly checked my current Firmware and yes my drone had the 02.00.0810 Firmware installed which was a strong possibility of causing the "RTH" issue.
Many thanks to this Forum, I back loaded Firmware version 02.00.0700, fortunately this ended my "RTH" problem, in the future I may upgrade Firmware back to 02.00.0810 and see if DJI have made any changes to prevent the "RTH" function.
If the latest Firmware caused such a widespread issue, one would have expected DJI provide a statement and assistance to support its many customers who without "PhantomPilots" would have been in the dark.
It just proves how valuable your Forum is, in providing drone assistance, I cannot speak highly enough of "PhantomPilots" and eagerly read the regular posts pertaining to Phantom4 drones.
Keep up the good work.
Regards,
John Grace (Melbourne Australia)
Wow...I had this firmware back in 2019 with p4s and not seen it since,never tryed thr RTH though so dont know what would have happen,this was my first p4 that died in a freefall,,,my sec p4 had the v02.00.0700 which was the new firmware,,not idea how it failed to install the corect one since it came from dji,,,,,,,this is the second time I've only seen it,,,,it is recommended that you check settings after firmware ,mayby the RTH height was set at that and set to hover at the time this happen to you,,depending where I flew I change RTH height accordingly since different objects and tree ,building heights all varied,,topical of dji to throw odd firmware out
Screenshot_20210519-140340_Chrome.jpg

Greetings, I just go with”If it ain’t broke don”t fix it” Good luck✌️

Reactions: Capt KO
Yes, half of us are saying NO and the other half saying YES about upgrading FW.
As you've heard NO for an upgrade if you haven't any issues with the drone.
I have mine since 2017 and I never updated it. It works fine.
Now about your problem - check which altitude was set for RTH. If it was 90 then the drone just followed the command.
And if the distance to the HP at the time you hit RTH was less than 30m it will land instantly without any RTH.

Reactions: Capt KO
Hi Capt KO,
Thanks for your comments, I know the altitude for RTH was set at 30m, not 100% sure if distance from home was 30m/+ however if it was less than 30m the drone did not instantly land. I guess the important thing for me now is that the drone is performing as it should with the previous firmware.
As a sideline, do you have any good links for ideal gimble setup for the p4.
Regards,
John.

Hi Capt KO,
Thanks for your comments, I know the altitude for RTH was set at 30m, not 100% sure if distance from home was 30m/+ however if it was less than 30m the drone did not instantly land. I guess the important thing for me now is that the drone is performing as it should with the previous firmware.
As a sideline, do you have any good links for ideal gimble setup for the p4.
Regards,
John.
Hi John,
attached please find the gimble settings I use.
regards

Attachments

• C07C19E7-9275-4D61-BCC0-C9497CD6B5E2.png
    C07C19E7-9275-4D61-BCC0-C9497CD6B5E2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 223

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member