Phantom2Vision vs. Phantom2 H3-3D

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am in a process of buying a Phantom. I will use it for still pictures and I need FVP as well and I can not decide what to buy.

As I can see, I have two options. Can you please tell me if I get it correctly?

Phantom2Vision

+
you get everything in a single package
a smartphone is used as a FVP monitor (you do not need to buy video)
you can make pictures while vieweing the live stream video?
cheaper as a kit
photos are transferred to phone while still flying (can I ask, which sharing options are supported - e.g. facebook, twitter?)

-
FVP is operating on 2.4Ghz, and has shorter range?
there is no gimbal on camera so pictures can become fuzzy, video is shaky

Phantom2 H3-3D

+
beter FVP can be used (5.8Ghz), longer range
video is still due to gimbal

-
FVP has to be bought additionally (monitor, long range antenna, transmitters)
price of a bundle
you can't make pictures while viewing live stream?

I have additional question:
- Is it possible to make still photos (on demand) by GoPro Hero3 camera?
- Is it possible to change the FPV of the Phantom2Vision in order to get better range?

Thank you a lot.

Matej

Your summary is pretty accurate.

Regarding your additional questions: I'm not aware of any way of activating a GoPro shutter remotely from more than a very short range using wifi (which you are advised always to have turned off when flying it with a P2, so shouldn't be used in any event). You can set it to take a shot every few seconds on the ground and send it up. The Vision app allows you to switch between video and stills capture whilst in the air and to review or share the video/image whilst still in the air via wifi transfer if you wish. These are sent to your phone/tablet as jpeg so can be shared however you wish (there is some social network integration in the DJI app, or you can simply upload from your phone's gallery). You can also capture stills with the Vision in RAW .dng format if you want to do full image post-processing (you will need to use a card reader to transfer these to a computer back at home, I'm not aware of any mobile devices that can natively handle RAW image files.

In answer to your last question, yes. You can modify the range extender of the Vision to add a third-party custom antenna that will improve wifi (FPV) range. I'm not the most technical of people but I did this with relative ease and my effective FPV range has gone from 1000ft max with the stock setup to over 2300ft - and that's even with a Rotorpixel 2-axis brushless gimbal mounted. Others have added additional antennas to the aircraft side (or larger ones to the ground side) and have pushed this out to over 8000ft range. There have even been some setups using signal boosters and amplifiers that have gone 13,000ft or more. If you go to my YouTube channel from one of the videos linked below you can see a video I made of how I installed this and a range test video with data if interested.

Pull_up you are a great resource here and I want to ask a silly question that may be useful to MCERK as well.

I can't afford the purchase of a P2 with FPV and all the bells and whistles add that you get out of the box with the Vision.

I have seen posts about removing the Vision Camera and replacing with a gopro, but that gets rid of the FPV - has anyone attached a gopro under the vision camera? I know you would need to extend the legs but the question about quality of the Gopro for photos or video is always in question. I think it is a matter of taste. But If I really wanted a "cheap" FPV could I not add the Gopro under the Vision camera?

Another wrinkle / question, when and if my rotorpixel gimbal ever arrives would that make it even easier to somehow to attach a gopro to the vision camera or simply loss FPV and attach a gopro.

MCERK - if photos are really what you want I hate to say it but the Vision may not be the way. Well let me rephrase that, you will have to be lucky. I have sent back 4 Vision units because the photos had focus issues. I am hoping the 5th time I get a good one. I have seen a LOT of GREAT photos with the Vision and I am sure I am exception to the rule or extra picky. I understand I am NOT getting a SLR photo quality photo. If you are looking for that I say hold off and save up more money.

Pull_Up said:
Try this. I'm particularly fond of the chopstick landing gear conversion:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny3-AwvmRtw[/youtube]

The biggest issue I find with Vision camera is that it has really low datarate (something like 11megs per second). GoPro video has like five times the same data per second.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl