phantom

Reaction score
hello all I have the phantom 3 just wondering what height should I put the return to home at so it does not hit any power lines or phone lines, and should I go by feet or by meters, when I set the RTH, thanks for any advice,

I always put mine at 100 meters high which is enough for the aircraft to return home safe. Assuming that there is not mountains or buildings on his way. But if there are any mountain or buildings, you need to see if you can skip these or calculate how tall they are.

It all depends on what obstacles are in the area you'll be flying. There is no "one size fits all" answer. I generally set mine to 100 ft above the tallest obstacle. Whether you use feet or meters makes no difference as long as you understand each. For example, if you want it to be 100 ft but for some incomprehensible reason, you want that setting in meters, you'd simply set it to 30 meters (roughly 98.4 ft). If the setting is in meters, just know how to convert feet to meters.

Strange question this one.

If you are flying it around close to you to learn how to fly then no point in setting it at 100m. Likewise if you have tall trees don't set it at 20m o_Oo_O

I also believe that the height is from take off point so don't fly to the top of a high spot and still expect to have the same clearance from ground clutter.

just wondering what height should I put the return to home at so it does not hit any power lines or phone lines
Since the RTH altitude is the height above the takeoff location, you should calculate the tallest obstacle over top of your takeoff location and add at least 50 feet as a buffer (since the current altitude in DJI GO is just an estimate).

should I go by feet or by meters, when I set the RTH
That setting must always be set in meters.

If you don't know the height of an object that you want to fly over, how can you determine what to set RTH altitude to? Answer: You don't! Then what do you do?

1. Do all your normal pre-flight checks.
2. Insure your camera pitch is aimed straight in front of the drone - lens barrel horizontal, parallel to the horizon.
3. Ascend upward until you are at the level of the tallest object that you can see on the horizon as you yaw the ' copter around in a slow 360-degree circle.
4. Using your camera view as a guide, fly toward that object (slowly) until you cam distinctly make out the top of it.
5. Keeping your camera pointed at the object (and still level with the horizon), ascend until the top of the object is in the center of the camera's view. When it is, note the altitude that is shown on your controller display.
6. Add to that altitude the distance above that object you feel is safe and comfortable for your skills and experience level.
7. Use the resulting figure as your new RTH altitude.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72