Phantom took off on its own, uncontrollable, crashed onto someone's car, bricked everything.

"Academy of Model Aeronautics". A three-month trial membership is $15. I joined because I'm thoroughly bitten by the R/C bug and bought a couple of used R/C fixed wings. The insurance coverage alone is worth the price of admission. If you join and get your AMA number, put it on your bird for identification.

The problem for me is it doesn't cover business pursuits. While this crash might have been covered since I was not shooting a job, it wouldn't cover normal business operations (pro photography). I suppose a three month trial would be worth it for 'practice' sessions though...

The problem for me is it doesn't cover business pursuits. While this crash might have been covered since I was not shooting a job, it wouldn't cover normal business operations (pro photography). I suppose a three month trial would be worth it for 'practice' sessions though...
There appear to be other benefits to being a member that legitimize your standing as an UAV operator, especially if your bird(s) is/are labled with your membership number. $15 for three months seemed reasonable to me, but was a requirement to join a local flying club. Though the club fees were too high for me as a new member, I think I'll retain my AMA membership. Especially since UAV registration is about to visit us hard and heavy with the negative press we've been getting. Besides, AMA seems to be our best national advocate, like the NRA is to gun enthusiasts.

•  AMA Liability Protection applies to bodily injury or property damage caused by an AMA member. Any AMA member who causes an accident resulting in an injury must report that accident immediately to AMA HQ.
  •  Applies to accidents arising from the modeling activities of model aircraft, rockets, cars and boats, in accordance with the AMA NATIONAL Safety Code(s).
  • SOURCE - http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/InsuranceSummaryMembers.pdf

Has anyone read this "national safety code(s)? How draconian are they?

Do you have to be at a designated AMA field to be covered?

You do not have to be on the field if you are a full member.

WOW! sorry your baby did that and lucky that all it hit was a car windshield, and someone that also flys!
One thing that is puzzling me...
When you said you shut down your quad, how did you do that? Was it left stick back? If so, I was under the understanding that as long as the bird is up and is detecting altitude change, it will not shut the motors off until it lands.
Is this correct?

I just signed up with the AMA today after debating about it. The backing of a good company is worth it if/when I have problems!

Has anyone read this "national safety code(s)? How draconian are they?

I don't think there's anything draconian in the code. It's worded and crafted to give legal standing and conduct that aids in responsible operation of hobby and sport RC modeling. And you don't have to be a member of any designated field or club.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yes, I was in the flight path to the airport at the time, although I was much much lower than any planes would be flying (airport is about 15 miles away)... but the drone took off on the exact heading toward the airport, which is partly why I shut it down - I was unsure whether it would ever stop, and while it would die before getting into the actual flight path (trajectory/altitude), it's a scary thought. There's a reason they need to regulate these things a bit.

The scary part is this happened with no control over the craft. I wasn't expecting it to power down when I tried it (it wasn't responding to any other controls), but it did, and I tried it out of damage mitigation (if I'd shut it down one second earlier it would have just crashed in the empty park)...
Obviously, you did, in fact, still have critical control. Been there, done that! If the transmitter is still in control, CSC will stop the motors every time immediately! Once stopped, you will not be able to restart them in mid air. The P3P transmitter has an LED which is green while in contact with the aircraft. Only when it turns red has it truly lost signal. While green, never do a CSC unless you want to stop the motors and drop out of the sky. It may have been flying directionally crazy because of a bad compass reading, but the transmitter was still in control otherwise. I learned this the hard way myself! :oops:

There appear to be other benefits to being a member that legitimize your standing as an UAV operator, especially if your bird(s) is/are labled with your membership number. $15 for three months seemed reasonable to me, but was a requirement to join a local flying club. Though the club fees were too high for me as a new member, I think I'll retain my AMA membership. Especially since UAV registration is about to visit us hard and heavy with the negative press we've been getting. Besides, AMA seems to be our best national advocate, like the NRA is to gun enthusiasts.
The AMA is not our advocate! They tried to sell us out to the FAA, to avoid the FAA regulating them, too. The FAA just pissed on their parade! Now they and their worthless insurance syndicate all have to register with the FAA, too! :p

WOW! sorry your baby did that and lucky that all it hit was a car windshield, and someone that also flys!
One thing that is puzzling me...
When you said you shut down your quad, how did you do that? Was it left stick back? If so, I was under the understanding that as long as the bird is up and is detecting altitude change, it will not shut the motors off until it lands.
Is this correct?

I just signed up with the AMA today after debating about it. The backing of a good company is worth it if/when I have problems!
There is no backing of a good company, if you are referring to AMA insurance. No one flying a drone will ever collect a dime under it, but by joining the AMA, you are supporting the very AMA entity that lobbied to sell us all down the river with the FAA, by proposing imposing the AMA Flying Rules on us, so that the AMA wouldn't have to register their own aircraft with the FAA! Guess what? The FAA saw right through it, and said everyone now has to register with the FAA, including all AMA members who have been flying under the radar for 50 years! :p

Last edited:
I don't think there's anything draconian in the code. It's worded and crafted to give legal standing and conduct that aids in responsible operation of hobby and sport RC modeling. And you don't have to be a member of any designated field or club.
Read your worthless AMA policy with your attorney, instead of listening to some BS put out by the AMA to get you to pay for your own execution!:eek:

Please do your own research on the value of the AMA. There are some who are woefully confused over the AMA's advocacy for our hobby, and are merely parroting what others suffering from the same ignorance have posted.
Again, do your own research and make up your own mind.

Reactions: jason
Read your worthless AMA policy with your attorney, instead of listening to some BS put out by the AMA to get you to pay for your own execution!:eek:

If you're not an AMA member then you have no one to blame. No room for cry babies here.

Reactions: iowahill
Please do your own research on the value of the AMA. There are some who are woefully confused over the AMA's advocacy for our hobby, and are merely parroting what others suffering from the same ignorance have posted.
Again, do your own research and make up your own mind.
I am woefully confused about your post. What are you trying to say?
If you are in any way suggesting that the AMA represents the interests of drone owners, then you clearly haven't read or comprehended the 211 page document put out by the FAA yesterday, which is replete with AMA attempts sell all drone pilots down the river, to protect the sanctity of the AMA members from a registration requirement. They lost! Now all AMA members finally have to register, too! Read the document! Stop pretending that the FAA is woefully confused, or that those that have actually read the document misunderstood the AMA recommendations to the FAA, which are spelled out in black and white! :rolleyes:

Again, do your own research and make up your own mind. :rolleyes:

If you're not an AMA member then you have no one to blame. No room for cry babies here.
Blame whom for what? Who is being a cry baby? Is this like an EST thing where to understand an AMA insurance policy, you have first to be a member, as otherwise we won't get it? What a crock! I can read. If you choose not to, so be it!

Blame whom for what? Who is being a cry baby? Is this like an EST thing where to understand an AMA insurance policy, you have first to be a member, as otherwise we won't get it? What a crock! I can read. If you choose not to, so be it!

It doesn't matter whether you can read or not if your not a member you have no right to set there and criticize them for not looking out for your interest nor rest who are complaining that you have lost your rights. If you want representation then join if not shut the hell up.

Reactions: iowahill
It doesn't matter whether you can read or not if your not a member you have no right to set there and criticize them for not looking out for your interest nor rest who are complaining that you have lost your rights. If you want representation then join if not shut the hell up.
1. Your insulting personal attack is a violation of Forum Guidelines.
2. I simply asked for clarification.
3. I never asked the AMA to look out for my interests and never would.
4. I am not seeking representation
5. I have every right to criticize the AMA for "pretending" to represent our interests, while actively soliciting AMA membership among our forum of drone owners, under the guise of "free" drone insurance (which no drone owner could possibly collect under) with membership, so that we could help fund their "advising" the FAA to force all drone owners to register and fly under all AMA flying rules, while exempting all model aircraft AMA members from registration.
6. The AMA hates drone owners because they now blame drones for their current requirement to also register with the FAA, after they failed to get the FAA to follow their "advice"
7. The AMA still is trying to uniquely exempt themselves from FAA registration, but not drone owners. according to their email sent out Monday, included in this forum, in another thread,
8. The AMA tried to put one over on the FAA, too, and the FAA saw through the AMA's self-serving advice, and decided that all AMA model aircraft owners should register, too! Boohoo!
9. No drone owner should ever want AMA representation, as the AMA interests and ours are entirely different. This is where the reading of the 211 page FAA document comes in. It contains every AMA comment, suggestion, proposal, and self-serving statement made by them and all their members. Read them, as I have. Then, decide if they are still your friends, or the wolves in sheeps' clothing.

Last edited:
1. Your insulting personal attack is a violation of Forum Guidelines.
2. I simply asked for clarification.
3. I never asked the AMA to look out for my interests and never would.
4. I am not seeking representation
5. I have every right to criticize the AMA for "pretending" to represent our interests, while actively soliciting AMA membership among our forum of drone owners, under the guise of "free" drone insurance (which no drone owner could possibly collect under) with membership, so that we could help fund their "advising" the FAA to force all drone owners to register and fly under all AMA flying rules, while exempting all model aircraft AMA members from registration.
6. The AMA hates drone owners because they now blame drones for their current requirement to also register with the FAA, after they failed to get the FAA to follow their "advice"
7. The AMA still is trying to uniquely exempt themselves from FAA registration, but not drone owners. according to their email sent out Monday, included in this forum, in another thread,
8. The AMA tried to put one over on the FAA, too, and the FAA saw through the AMA's self-serving advice, and decided that all AMA model aircraft owners should register, too! Boohoo!
9. No drone owner should ever want AMA representation, as the AMA interests and ours are entirely different. This is where the reading of the 211 page FAA document comes in. It contains every AMA comment, suggestion, proposal, and self-serving statement made by them and all their members. Read them, as I have. Then, decide if they are still your friends, or the wolves in sheeps' clothing.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Boy did this thread get hijacked!!!!
Why not keep the AMA/FAA comments, arguing to your OWN thread????
Bunch of whiny old men!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj