Phantom rolling hard case DIY

Reaction score
I didn’t want to pay the prices for a hard case online and be limited to whatever configuration the foam was in. So I decided to build my own. I will update this as I get more done on it. Currently waiting on the foam to come in

Plan is 3” pick n pluck for bottom to hold drone and transmitter, tablet and maybe a couple other items. The case is deep enough to put a shelf above the drone which I plan to keep in place with angle brackets. The shelf will have egg crate foam on bottom to protect top of bird with motor covers as well. 1.5” pick n pull on top for battery storage, extra props, my Gannet bait drop system,etc. Then more egg crate foam on the lid of the case if needed to protect those items.

The case is a Hart rolling tool cart from Walmart. It’s also stackable and they have a toolbox the same size, so if you have 2 drones you could stack it lock it in place and roll them both to your location. It did require a bit of minor surgery to fit the drone but it’s only a couple of lips on either the back or front of the case. They aren’t structural or anything. Once they are cut out the drone fits perfect. This isn’t a true hard case. I wouldn’t trust it being thrown around but I don’t plan on flying anywhere with my bird just car rides to and from the beach. There is also a divided storage box for smaller items. That is part of what made me go with this case. It’s upgradable as I add more to my fleet later on.

I hope this helps someone else on a budget like me not trying to spend $150 or more on a prebuilt case. All said and done I’m looking at $70 completed and customized to my own needs.
540AD668-A21D-4F50-8F0D-C8624FDE8295.jpeg
2FD37204-C852-49DB-8F31-298B4E295032.jpeg
Link to full stackable kit here

The pluck foam I ordered is on back order. So I made do with what I could find for the time being. It’s a little rough but it works. I’m holding off on building the top tray until I have the correct foam. The case is at least usable in the mean time.

E6979BB2-227C-4D1A-81FF-D114F23D57BD.jpeg

EE4E9C5D-5ED1-4DB3-9774-2F133074EA95.jpeg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that,saves a $ aswell,,hey if your not goin to reply why did you post,,I was asking if you drone fish and you disappear like most who post,
Happens to much here now,if you dont want my reply just block me otherwise I'll comment, I dont disrespect you but one way conversations dont make a thread :)

First off not yet just got my drone. Going to practice over dry land before I take it over water, but yes I will be fishing with it. Already ordered from Gannet.

Secondly, lose the attitude. You don’t know me. It had been an hour since you commented on my post. It was after midnight where I live. I don’t sit here staring at the forum 24/7. You were the first person to say anything 4 hours after I made the thread so not like it was just posted in the last 5 or 10 minutes.

First off not yet just got my drone. Going to practice over dry land before I take it over water, but yes I will be fishing with it. Already ordered from Gannet.

Secondly, lose the attitude. You don’t know me. It had been an hour since you commented on my post. It was after midnight where I live. I don’t sit here staring at the forum 24/7. You were the first person to say anything 4 hours after I made the thread so not like it was just posted in the last 5 or 10 minutes.
Ah that's cool,,I got you to reply lol,yip i got good attitude but did not realize the time so sorry about that,,i not staring at forum all day either ,i do other stuff in between,,
Ok yip good to practice over land till you get drift of things,,i did same,,i used me old p4 for fishing since it was more reliable to me and lots of power,beats casting line out the line out,,

Here's all I was using but worked great..I cant afford much so went home made styles ,,used braid ,carry 4 oz sinker and 3 baits easy,either tilt back or tighten surfcaster drag and line drops off the back,,,,just a tip,,,when flying with line stay committed ,,if sudden wind change or gust ,drop your line and start again, dont have your line drag to loose or the wind breeze will peel off to much slack,set so you phantom can spool it off the reel without creating birdnest,I liked fishing like this, can drop you line nicely where you want it unlike a fishing rod cast
Screenshot_20210517-175247_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AirdropFishing
Ah that's cool,,I got you to reply lol,yip i got good attitude but did not realize the time so sorry about that,,i not staring at forum all day either ,i do other stuff in between,,
Ok yip good to practice over land till you get drift of things,,i did same,,i used me old p4 for fishing since it was more reliable to me and lots of power,beats casting line out the line out,,
All good and I know what you mean. I’ve been on forums for years. Mainly automotive but same goes on there. I’m not one of those people.

Yeah plan is to use this to drop baits out closer to the sand bars and into the cuts for me. Hard to reach them on most of the beaches where I am without 12-15ft rods and I’m just really not into heaving it out like that anymore now that I’m a little older lol. There’s also a small pier I fish off of where the freighters come through so looking to hit that channel hoping some bigger sharks are lurking in there.

I’ll update as the case progresses also. Thinking after I get the hang of this thing maybe also buying a dslr upgrading to a 4K drone and doing both aerial and interior real estate photography. After I get my part 107 of course. So this case would be perfect to house both the bird and accessories in one box, the camera, laptop, lenses, etc In the other big box and sd cards, and other small goodies in the smaller divided box.

Sweet sorry for winding you up,ha get it,,yeh keep the updates coming and good luck and sorry again for not realizing the time difference, 6.10pm here

Here's all I was using but worked great..I cant afford much so went home made styles ,,used braid ,carry 4 oz sinker and 3 baits easy,either tilt back or tighten surfcaster drag and line drops off the back,,,,just a tip,,,when flying with line stay committed ,,if sudden wind change or gust ,drop your line and start again, dont have your line drag to loose or the wind breeze will peel off to much slack,set so you phantom can spool it off the reel without creating birdnest,I liked fishing like this, can drop you line nicely where you want it unlike a fishing rod castView attachment 122068
Whatever works. Main reason I went with the Gannet is safety. I really don’t want to lose my phantom due to something like a snag in the line or a bird flying into it as I’m flying out. If that happens with the gannet it will just release and not nose dive in into the depths. If that $50 saves my drone it’s $ well spent.

Sweet sorry for winding you up,ha get it,,yeh keep the updates coming and good luck and sorry again for not realizing the time difference, 6.10pm here
No problem we’re good now. ? The older I get the less it takes to wind me up it seems. I’m going to be one of those grouchy old men yelling at the kids to stay off my lawn lol. Anyway back to bed for me. Not sure why I woke up. Have a good rest of your evening.

Yeh I did have couple close calls but was lucky,,experience in the wind saved me bacon,,I'm sure you do well so good luck ,catch heaps of fish,,sorry about the time zone thing,,stay safe and well and keep updates coming,,have good sleep,,hey I already been called that ,

It would seem that in hauling things to the beach, you should free up your hands. I get tried dragging everything from the parking lot and through the sand. (I only make one trip, but that's enough to get my hips and back. ) I have a hardshell backpack to carry my Phantom 3. I picked it up years back with ailing Phantom 3s to boot for only $100 US. Have you checked around to see what you can get?

I'll be in Pine Knolls, NC. Oct.9 for a wedding. Driving that far, I always hang around longer and enjoy the sites.

It would seem that in hauling things to the beach, you should free up your hands. I get tried dragging everything from the parking lot and through the sand. (I only make one trip, but that's enough to get my hips and back. ) I have a hardshell backpack to carry my Phantom 3. I picked it up years back with ailing Phantom 3s to boot for only $100 US. Have you checked around to see what you can get?

I'll be in Pine Knolls, NC. Oct.9 for a wedding. Driving that far, I always hang around longer and enjoy the sites.
I’ve looked around and I have seen a few of the backpacks that might work for me but they still aren’t cheap. I actually have a beach cart with the big inflatable tires on it that usually goes fishing with me anyway. Carries my cooler, tackle box, rods and reels, etc. so this cart will probably get strapped onto that one for the trip from the parking lot to the beach.
D0FEEF08-EC1E-4560-B052-5ABB6038489D.jpeg
My fishing cart is similar to this one luckily it was gifted to me because they are around $600. It is a back saver though.

Interesting

I use a couple Gannets myself and use the same cart in your picture. Have ramps to help on/off my pickup. Haul Phantom, Gannet Pro, and Air2 with all my tackle, cooler, beach tent and chairs. Sweet setup.

Phantoms definitely make the best fishing drone up to a kilo load. Any heavier, I will use the Gannet Pro. Camera only good enough for fishing but awsome waterproof drone for BIG baits.

I use a couple Gannets myself and use the same cart in your picture. Have ramps to help on/off my pickup. Haul Phantom, Gannet Pro, and Air2 with all my tackle, cooler, beach tent and chairs. Sweet setup.
Thanks man. I wouldn’t trade that cart for anything lol. I mounted 4 rod holders on mine just so I don’t have to use the sand spikes anymore.

Reactions: Capt KO
So for my P4P I spent a little more than the basic box getting a Seahorse rolling case with pluck and pull foam (for just ove $100 (had discount for cc order). But to beef up durability of foam once I got the customization done, I sprayed 3 coats of Plasti-dip spray, giving if great durability an a more professional look. I had to rig the top cover foam so I could keep props on all the time - similar to the (Case Club you can get on Amazon - selling for $190). Turned out pretty decent and meets what I was going for - all in maybe $125 (with 2 cans plastidip, and can of foam spray adhesive). Add another $75 and you could just get the Case Club off Amazon and save yourself the labor - but I enjoyed the project so was well worth it to go this route for me.
received_1919106174917427.jpeg
received_629754421528359.jpeg
20211030_164010.jpg
20211031_131310.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dronesky

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members