Phantom Rain RESUCE JACKETS - Submersion PART 1

That was for demonstration only and to show that it could be done.

You being impressed is not the point of this product or this thread.

Its like the second someone comes to us and says “hey, Ive got a solution for you to recover your drone from a body of water for DJI Care Refresh”, and “actually get your sd footage back too, no wasted work”, and folks jump straight to “eff that, if it doesnt turn my drone into a submarine, it sucks”. Humans will never cease to amaze me.

Reactions: BigAl07
Its like the second someone comes to us and says “hey, Ive got a solution for you to recover your drone from a body of water for DJI Care Refresh”, and “actually get your sd footage back too, no wasted work”, and folks jump straight to “eff that, if it doesnt turn my drone into a submarine, it sucks”. Humans will never cease to amaze me.

You've hit the nail on the head. Very well said.

Reactions: DKG13CC
That was for demonstration only and to show that it could be done.

You being impressed is not the point of this product or this thread.

OK, but as it's been said what is the point of doing something what has nothing to do with the real situations.

Drop it from an altitude of 10m or higher and show what your rescue jacket will do. This would then be a real situation!

OK, but as it's been said what is the point of doing something what has nothing to do with the real situations.

Drop it from an altitude of 10m or higher and show what your rescue jacket will do. This would then be a real situation!

Give them time.

Why exactly do we need to show a Crash Video , we show that the Drone can float after being totally submerged under water indefinitely .

Most people are aware that hitting the water from 30 ft or 100 ft is like hitting the ground, the drone is going to break :Camera is going to break and legs will snap so might a prop.

Bottom Line the drone will still float just fine as it is not dependant on the legs or the props or camera for it to maintain rescue ability.

That is why we showed the Full submersion of the drone under water, a worst case scenario. so why is a crash video needed other than Drama.

Please explain. What is it that we are not understanding about a crash video ?

I would like to end this conversation as it isn't going anywhere.
You did very impressive work on protecting the phantoms against water. I just wanted to point out that drones can fall from 5 - 10m or higher.
If it protect them from submersion that is something for sure, because there is a big difference if you can retrieve the drone from the surface of the water or it, as it do now, going down and nobody can ever see it again. And I would like to see that in your video as nobody would put the drone so gently on the water surface as it was shown.
And that was the point of my comment.
Best regards!

I would like to end this conversation as it isn't going anywhere.
You did very impressive work on protecting the phantoms against water. I just wanted to point out that drones can fall from 5 - 10m or higher.
If it protect them from submersion that is something for sure, because there is a big difference if you can retrieve the drone from the surface of the water or it, as it do now, going down and nobody can ever see it again. And I would like to see that in your video as nobody would put the drone so gently on the water surface as it was shown.
And that was the point of my comment.
Best regards!

Ok , That is the part i was not understanding , I understand it now,

The video we posted the touch and go was trying to show a RTH or low battery where the drone had to land early on the water. So that was the reason for the gentle landing being shown.
'

The Second video was trying to show that if the Drone did get submerged say falling from a drop of 300 ft high that it would still float just fine and be ready for rescue

I will consider a drop from 400 ft as that is the legal ceiling , as I am confident that it will still float and not submerge but just break apart the camera, the gimbal and the legs, so maybe for the Grand Finale .

Thank you
Phantomrain.org

In the EVENT of a CRASH on the Water the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets are going to help you float and get Rescued.

The Rescue Jackets will come in 3 colors: Black and Red Black and Neon Blue Black and White

Because of the amount of pressure sustained on impact when hitting the water, your Personal Rescue Information will be Etched into the Unit itself.

Each unit will have your personal Rescue Information etched into the Rescue Jackets.

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 11.11.56 AM.png

The Rescue jackets will fit both the Phantom 4 series drones and Phantom 3 series drones allowing them to float till rescued.

The Rescue jackets will allow you to float right side up or inverted.

In the Event that the drone lands nicely on the water do to low battery , RTH ect , it will most likely land in the Upright position and remain that way until rescued... or a possible relaunch.

In the Event of a Crash , it is a 50/50 as to the orientation it floats on , either way your drone will be ready for rescue.

More Information will be posted on Phantomrain.org as
Approved Vendor

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 7.15.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 7.15.03 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I wonder how much drag is produced by flying with this attached , it has to be a big hit on battery life

I wonder how much drag is produced by flying with this attached , it has to be a big hit on battery life

There is some drag in sport mode going straight up as fast as possible and or straight down , but at just 3.0 ounces it should be minimal hit on the battery with normal flying and recording.

We have to much wind now to test it for a long distance run, but we will post it when we do.

I have a couple of questions

Regarding the camera and gimbal surviving: Does this product have something on the camera and gimbal that kept them dry? Or was it the native construction of them? I once dunked my P3S camera exactly like that by accident and it and the gimbal survived. I had to dry condensation from inside the lens for a day or two. So I’d be interested to know if your product seals the camera.

Sounds like this product is designed to allow a rescue from a water crash and not just dipping the bottom. Will you be showing video of a drop into the water and then complete recovery and working of the craft? Hopefully that will be part 2. I’d personally be more interested in that than a salt water test.

Can you post the video that the drone recorded from this test shown in part 1?

I have the same question. How is the camera protected? I don’t think I’ll ever dunk my camera into the drink like that ever.. unless I know it’s protected 100 %

I have the same question. How is the camera protected? I don’t think I’ll ever dunk my camera into the drink like that ever.. unless I know it’s protected 100 %

Its not intended for you to intentionally drown your bird. Or for the camera to work afterwards. Its for the prospect of just flat getting it back, so you can fix whatevertheeff happened to make it go down in the first place instead of just wondering where it is at the bottom of X body of water.

The camera is not protected. This product is only designed to keep your drone afloat so that you can recover it for the memory card and for insurance and/or repair purposes.

Putting the Phantom Rain Rescue Jackets into Perspective and how we think they should be used.

It goes without saying that the Rescue Jackets do not make your drone into a submarine nor do they allow you to take SEÅ World Pictures under water. We think its going to be an amazing tool to make flying over the water a lot less stressful and a lot more fun.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
If you need to float on the water or fly in the rain, we got you covered.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rescue Jackets are now in Stock: Phantomrain.org

If you fly over the water this is going to be an invaluable tool for your preflights when taking off from a new location over water.
Once your drone is confirmed to be flying well over the water , you take the rescue jacket off if flying a long distance or you can just leave it on and record with the extra security.

Rescue Jackets are now Available for both the Phantom 4 and Phantom 3 drones.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 10.12.47 PM.png

We have completed our test into the destruction and flotation limits of the Phantom 4 Rescue Jackets. The locking system is still in tact after an almost complete destruction of the Phantom 4 pro. On that sad note.

We sold our very first unit to the Team in Seward Alaska who job is to survey the river and keep everyone safe from harm. We sold are second unit to the man in south Africa who flies out fishing lines and bait and tackle with his drone. Very cool.

For those wondering Critical height and mass destruction was more than ceiling limits. Videos will be posted on the Phantomrain.org website.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 10.08.33 PM.png

We have completed are test into the destruction and flotation limits of the Phantom 4 Rescue Jackets. The locking system is still in tact after an almost complete destruction of the Phantom 4 pro. On that sad note.

We sold are very first unit to the Team in Seward Alaska who job is to survey the river and keep everyone safe from harm. We sold are second unit to the man in south africa who flies out fishing lines and bait and tackle with his drone. Very cool.

For those wondering Critical height and mass destruction was more than ceiling limits. Videos will be posted on the Phantomrain.org website.

View attachment 104568

You show two images with the craft upsidedown which would make it extremely hard to spot , No ? Is this how they normally land in the water when falling out of the sky , maybe make the bottom of them a brighter color then the black shown

You show two images with the craft upsidedown which would make it extremely hard to spot , No ? Is this how they normally land in the water when falling out of the sky , maybe make the bottom of them a brighter color then the black shown

Orientation of the Drone in the Water was 50/50 on a Crash with no power , and with Power or landing was almost always 100 % Upright.

Colors are subjective : The first set of Colors were designed to match those that purchased the Phantom Rain Wet Suits. Being that all black made up a bigger percentage of those sold it made sense we had to test the all black in the water.. as far as being shown it was just the sad luck of the draw.

As always we found the TWO tone Colors to do the best for Visual Sight in the water /air , thus we we make the Neon Red, Neon Blue , White and for those have need or reason for purchasing all black, we offer the the All Black Rescue Jacket for continued Stealth Support. .

But as of now We got the Brightness Covered :

If its the ALL WHITE of the shell of the Drone or the NEON colors on the bottom of the Rescue Jacket , finding the drone in the water should be very possible.

If your Drone is running the Phantom Rain Wetsuit on top of being geared up with the Rescue Jacket you are at Optimum levels of securing your flights.

Actual Color of Rescue Jackets are Neons Red/blue : Not to hard to spot at all but colors dont always show on video to well.

Actual Picture of Rescue Jacket ready for delivery. Locking system not shown

Last edited:

It's a guess as to how the aircraft is going to impact the water. Many variables (power or no power, attitude at time of impact, horizontal velocity at time of impact , roughness of the water at impact location. . . .) so it could potentially land in any orientation and ultimately orient feet up or feet down.

While they are trying to make them as "visible" as possible the main goal of the unit is for flotation to allow for retrieval. Bright colors may help but honestly from a distance the colors will be irrelevant because the flotation aspect of the device is at water level.

It's designed to make-her-float so you can grab it and salvage the aircraft and hopefully the DATA on the card.

Reactions: DKG13CC
Big Al........looks like then you better " have a boat available when you fly out over water " !...just as a precaution !....then if its in the water and drifts by way of water current and winds....its good to be able to hopefully eventually find it before its dark (sigh)....and if you try to find it by way of the last recorded location on the flight path it could have drifted away because its not like its in a tree or on the ground ! not ever body has a boat to immediately to use if the drones lost in the water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic