Phantom Powered Off and Fell in a Waypoint Mission

JLP

Reaction score
Yesterday I was flying my Phantom in the neighbors back yard setting waypoints to be able to take pictures from the same place every day as his pool was being built. After the points were set up I flew the mission (which was all in his backyard). During the mission the drone just completely powered off and fell at least 80 ft to the ground breaking the camera off. The battery was @75%, and I know it was in good because I always check it since I have read about the problems of them coming out. Also the drone was flying itself it was making no sudden movements. I was not controlling the drone, so there is no way I accidentally powered it down with the RTH and stick. Anybody have any idea why it could have done this?

Sounds like the battery came out or lost connection. Check the contacts for the battery. Was the battery still locked in after the crash?

The battery was @75%, and I know it was in good because I always check it since I have read about the problems of them coming out.
Take a look at your flight log and look at the individual battery cell voltages just before shutdown. You may have seen the 75% value, however there could have been a cell go south and that will shut the battery down. If you would like someone else to take a look at that for you, follow the instructions at the link below to upload the log, then place a link to that back here.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

Yesterday I was flying my Phantom in the neighbors back yard setting waypoints to be able to take pictures from the same place every day as his pool was being built. After the points were set up I flew the mission (which was all in his backyard). During the mission the drone just completely powered off and fell at least 80 ft to the ground breaking the camera off. The battery was @75%, and I know it was in good because I always check it since I have read about the problems of them coming out. Also the drone was flying itself it was making no sudden movements. I was not controlling the drone, so there is no way I accidentally powered it down with the RTH and stick. Anybody have any idea why it could have done this?
As Fly Dawg said, check battery cells. Had cell #1 drop on a flight. Shut battery down, fell 175 ft onto frozen lake! Destroyed the drone! Send flight data.

I had got my computer savy. neighbor I was flying for to post it yesterday after the crash. They are in that post that msinger referenced. Drone and extra battery were purchased in October. The battery did come out when it hit the ground. I put it back in and it powered back up. Looking at the contacts on the battery, there are 2 small spots that look like they are melted. Trying to figure out how to upload a picture of it.

@JLP The .dat files don't provide the individual battery cell values. I need the log file from the device to check those as in Post #3. Regardless, if there actually is melting on the contacts, this may not help either. That would be an over current issue of some sort.

Does the log file come from the drone?
No, it is on the device you were flying with. See the link with instructions.

these are all the flights I have for yesterday. some were successful so those may show nothing but one of these are FOR SURE the Crash file...

Also, All of these were in the Flight Logs folder... I also have some in my "Flight Records" file... am I sending the right ones or do you need the ones from the Flight Records file?

Attachments

• 2018-03-15 17_46_05-07JDE6G00200MN.dat
    959 bytes · Views: 263
  • 2018-03-15 17_58_33-07JDE6G00200MN.dat
    1.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 2018-03-15 18_22_21-07JDE6G00200MN.dat
    1 KB · Views: 261
  • 2018-03-15 18_38_03-07JDE6G00200MN.dat
    751 bytes · Views: 245
  • 2018-03-15 18_50_44-07JDE6G00200MN.dat
    85 bytes · Views: 236
Do I have the right files uploaded?

You wanna upload the flight record from that fatal flight. It is a .txt file within the DJI folder on your tablet/phone.
Then see Fly Dawgs post. Click on his link 'DJI Flight Log Viewer' for further instructions to upload this file and share it here.

Explanation: The .dat Files are from the "black box" of your drone. That is a fixed Mini SD card within the drone that cannot be removed without force. Neither can it be deleted. It's 4GB big and keeps overwriting itself. Retrieved files can be viewed with software like DatCon.

However: In order to determine a battery issue, the flight record (from your tablet/device!) is important. It shows battery cell performance/deviation etc.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna