Phantom lost transmitter signal ?

Reaction score
Yesterday, when I was shooting (a crucial video shoot) with phantom, suddenly It was out of my control. The yellow light was blinking (while it was on GPS mode), I hope that means, it has lost the signal from the transmitter. Copter was about 30-40 meters away from me. I couldn't do any thing, but fortunately, because of the fail safe mode it came back and auto landed in home position. This happened in every time I was flying yesterday ( I flew it 7-8 times yesterday at the shoot). when it lost the control, sometimes I got the control back, when I switched the from the GPS to Altitude mode and switch it back to GPS again. Sometimes nothing happened.
Only thing that I can suspect is, I recently installed a HiFly gimbal and plugged its pitch control to Naza F2 port. And turned on the gimbal control on assistant software. But when I gets this problem continuously, I removed the gimbal and turned off the gimbal control from assistant software. As I feel (may be my feeling wrong) it reduced the losing control problem a bit. But it happened twice again.

I opened phantom, to plug the gimbal pitch control to NAZA F2 port, do you guys thing that I have mistakenly done some damage to a signal receiver or or something like that ? Please could you guys help me to fix this?

Sounds like GPS cable (from lid) is lose. IF you've had it open a few times double check the cable from the lid/GPS to the NAZA

Could it be that your Controller TX batteries are bad....or worse...LOOSE? The light would flicker or go out. It only takes for one of the four, perhaps with hand movement, to break contact. Alto I have not had a problem, I have been uncomfortable with the minimal tension some of those batteries have with their contacts.

Thanks for your comments. I tried changing transmitter batteries. But it didn't work. I'll check for the GPS cable, may be while I was removing the lid, it may has loosen.

If it is going into failsafe and coming back to land then its not the GPS signal being lost. It is a problem with the control signal.

The first thing to do is look at how you ran the cables to the gimbal. Did you run the cables and cover up the small wire coming out of the body of the Phantom? That is the receive antenna for the controller. It is best if no other wires are near that. Especially the gimbal control wires. Those can interfere with the radio signal.

You could try to disconnect your gimbal to eliminate that as the culprit. Also are you changing switches on your controller? You could have one of them set to failsafe/return home in the Naza software.

In my Phantom there are 2 receiver antennas. I ran the power cable for the gimbal, through the hole, which the compass cable comes out (opposite side of antennas). But, I have a doubt, this power line may interfere with the compass signal.
- Could that be happen ?

As I noticed this signal problem, I removed the gimbal and turned off the gimbal control from the assistant software. That looks like that reduced the problem a bit, but that didn't eliminate the problem. Gimbal has been plugged into the NAZA F2 port.
- Could something like this happen because of a software issue ?

Please also tell me guys, what is the transmitter type, that I should select from the assistant software (traditional, D-Sub or PPM). may be accidantly I have selected the wrong type. Can this cause a loosing connection problem ?

BinaraA said:
Please also tell me guys, what is the transmitter type, that I should select from the assistant software (traditional, D-Sub or PPM). may be accidantly I have selected the wrong type. Can this cause a loosing connection problem ?

It's possible...for the receiver you have you should choose "D-Bus" as the connection type

I checked for the GPS cable, inside phantom, they are not even look like loosen. And checked for the receiver type in assistant software, which is on the "D-Bus". Still has that problem. sometimes it looses signal, even within 10 meters. Then what may be the cause guys ? Plz help me, I'm stuck with this problem. Can I send the phantom back to, where I bought it and fix this problem ?
Plz, give me some options ?

We have talked to the "Heliguy" (UK) also, where we bought the phantom from. They said it might be a fault with the receiver. That means, it has to be replaced. Then I'm going for the last option, that I have. I have to send this back to Heliguy(UK), to fix this problem. Thank you very much guys for all your comments and help. They were very useful.

OI Photography said:
BinaraA said:

It's possible...for the receiver you have you should choose "D-Bus" as the connection type

I don't think it's that. If you don't choose D-Bus for 1.1.1 Phantoms in the assistant app, the receiver won't even bind to even engage the motors to begin with.

As I was told by the phantom dealer (Heliguy), the fault is with the signal receiver of the copter.Could anyone please tell me, can I buy a receiver and replace it in my own? because I don't have much time to send the phantom back to them n bring it back.

BinaraA said:
As I was told by the phantom dealer (Heliguy), the fault is with the signal receiver of the copter.Could anyone please tell me, can I buy a receiver and replace it in my own? because I don't have much time to send the phantom back to them n bring it back.

If you have a newer Phantom 1.1.1, you should be able to bind with a Futuba FASST (sp?) controller. There's a bind button in the battery compartment on the upper right.

I sent the copter back to singappore dealer of DJI Phantom, and they said there is a issue on this copter. Which is flashing yellow light continuously while flying and turns on the auto pilot system and automatically comes back home. They said they did a firmware update and now the issue is fixed. And also they said there is a issue with a one motor, we suspect it could happen while on the transport to the singappore from Sri Lanka. Then I said to replace that motor also. Then we brought back the copter yesterday. After received it we flew it without the camera and the gimbal, but I noticed that problem stays same. The flashing yellow light happened again. So, I'm in a deep trouble now, what can I do now ? I have spent whole lot of money to repair and transport of the copter, but nothing has improved. Could you guys suggest me what to do ?

- this signal issue started after I installed the hifly gimbal to the copter and plugged the pitch control to the F2 port of NAZA. Can this(gimbal) be the cause ? Do I need to do a firmware update after installed the gimbal ?

I used here the following gimbal
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hifly-Brushless ... 3a8bcea541

Have you had your TX apart for upgrade?
Do you only go into failsafe at certain distance or is it random?
Wondering if you damaged the antenna cable and have a poor connection.
Easy to tell I would think.

Setup on the ground let it gain sats and prepare to fly idle up the motors. Don't take off just walk away from it say 50 to 100 yards and see what happens.

Thanks gbshovel, for the comment.

- What do you mean by "Have you had your TX apart for upgrade?"
- No, the losing connection distance is random. sometimes it loses in very short distance.
- I've already checked for the receiver antena cables. It looks fine.
- I did this test, the copter is on the ground without flying, Powered on. And I went far with the receiver, then the connection loses.

What could be the problem ? Software issue, Naza issue, Transmitter or receiver unit ?

I'm confused and helpless with this.

Same problem on a brand new Phantom 2 FPV. Have both a Phantom 1 and Phantom Vision ... never loss contact with either system. This is obviously a wide spread problem ... seeing more and more comments on this issue. Question to my supplier got the standard response ... toggle out of GPS and back. If not, phantom will return home. This is not a solution or option. I also do photography. DJI needs to step up to identify and correct this problem.

Yesterday, when I was shooting (a crucial video shoot) with phantom, suddenly It was out of my control. The yellow light was blinking (while it was on GPS mode), I hope that means, it has lost the signal from the transmitter. Copter was about 30-40 meters away from me. I couldn't do any thing, but fortunately, because of the fail safe mode it came back and auto landed in home position. This happened in every time I was flying yesterday ( I flew it 7-8 times yesterday at the shoot). when it lost the control, sometimes I got the control back, when I switched the from the GPS to Altitude mode and switch it back to GPS again. Sometimes nothing happened.
Only thing that I can suspect is, I recently installed a HiFly gimbal and plugged its pitch control to Naza F2 port. And turned on the gimbal control on assistant software. But when I gets this problem continuously, I removed the gimbal and turned off the gimbal control from assistant software. As I feel (may be my feeling wrong) it reduced the losing control problem a bit. But it happened twice again.

I opened phantom, to plug the gimbal pitch control to NAZA F2 port, do you guys thing that I have mistakenly done some damage to a signal receiver or or something like that ? Please could you guys help me to fix this?

Did you ever figure out your problem I have a Phantom 1.1.1 and it keeps losing signal.
sometimes it loses signal 10ft sometimes closer then picks back up the signal then loses it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers