Phantom Losing Connection-Coming Home

Reaction score
Ok I am the second owner of a P1 and have been flying for a couple months now. Just recently I have lost considerable range on my P1. I can't seem to fly for more than about 100 yards before the yellow light starts blinking and it goes into return home mode. I can override it by switching out of GPS mode but of course the flight is not as stable. I have checked all the applicable connections in the drone and the transmitted and can find no faults with either. The only conclusion I can come to the TX is going and I may need to replace. Any other thoughts?

Have you tried hooking it to a computer and checking Assistant to see if there are any height/range limits set?

Last edited:
We can set height and range limits to the FC40, which is just a fancy name for a P1 with a camera.
I believe the P1 is the same and if the limit is close enough it can be reached easily. I also suggest checking your settings in the assistant.

Yes, i ran the assistant and looked at the settings but think I need to take another look. I had not been experiencing this issue unitl I upddated the software and rebaselined it. I will take another look and mess with that and see what happends. Thx

Well I checked my limits and they are at 3000 meters so I don't think that is the problem. I have heard/read of people having issues since the firmware update with the controller and the whole d-bus/ppm issue which I don't really understand. I did go ahead and raise the limits and turned the another option off (can't remember right now) that is suppose to bring the bird home if it hovers too long. Will fly tomorrow and see what happens.

Check the controller. Remove the 4 screws on the back. Open it up carefully, not to yank off any cables while raising the bottom shell. It just might be that the previous owner had the antenna wire come lose of the Tx board while checking the insides for whatever reason.

The limits you set in Naza will not invoke a return to home. It will just act as a invisible fence and the bird simply will hang there and not go further.
It must be the Tx or Rx acting up.

Another thing to look at is the switches. As a lot of users found out, they are prone to flaws and sometimes switch over without input. Calibrating everything, including the switches, helps. Some people just replace the switches by standard quality (which is really fine enough).

Last edited:
And in case you wander what the range should be of a P1, it depends on what version. The dual antenna P1.1.1 has the same range as the P2, which is well over 2km in an open area. The early P1's might have a different range (with the single antenna) but still well over 1 km before they kick in RTH.

Yes, i ran the assistant and looked at the settings but think I need to take another look. I had not been experiencing this issue unitl I upddated the software and rebaselined it. I will take another look and mess with that and see what happends. Thx
I just read your reaction here.

If it happened after a software update, check and relcalibrate the Tx, including all switches.
If you have the controller with USB port inside, open it up carefully and hook it up to the computer via this micro usb port. Download (if not done already) RC assistant and calibrate the controller. After that calibrate again in Naza.

If the problem is still there, than it's hardware hence follow advice previous post.
Once you found the hardware problem and it's not fixable, a new Rx board sets you back 9-12 $ and a new P1 controller about 75.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj