Phantom flips on start up in atti mode

Reaction score
In GPS mode, when the motors are activated, they turn on gently at the lowest speed making a controlled start easy.
In Atti mode however, when the motors are activated, the propellers spin up at high speed immediately causing the Phantom to flip over and then turn off as it's tilting over.
LED is blinking 4-5 times green, then 3 red for poor satellite reception. Not quite sure what the green means. It was powered on, left for 5 minutes to settle before starting up.

It's so wierd. Is this supposed to happen? The Phantom is new, unmodified, not crashed, no other settings changed other than calibration and IOC activated. IMU and compass was calibrated the day before.

Any ideas?
Thanks

How frustrating! I suggest that you only take off in gps mode for the time being ( I always do) and I will do an experiment to see if I can replicate your atti mode problem. Have you updated the firmware to 3.12 yet? Doing that might sort it out. The green lights used to mean that the Phantom is complaining that it has been moved since power on.

are your props on correctly?
as in did you follow the arrow on each phantom arm and match it up with the correct prop?

Use the Assistant in MOTOR tab of ADVANCE section to see where the motor idle speed is selected. LOW is preferred.
Then re-calibrate both IMU and compass but do the compass calibration outdoor away from any metal constructions.

Did it ever fly at all?

It works now! Thanks for all replies.
The problem went away when I did an advanced calibration. As I said, it was calibrated basic the day before. Today when I checked the Naza assistant, there was a warning saying an advanced calibration was necessary. So i did, and then it worked fine.

And to answer all your questions:
Yes it flew perfectly well in both GPS and Atti mode, I just had problems taking off.
Motor idle speed was at recommended, but I'll consider changing it to low.
All firmware and software was updated.

Green blinking lights might have been trying to tell me either that it was moved since power on (it wasn't) or "6x green = Bias of Sensors too Big". Not sure which or what.

So to conclude, I'll need to calibrate IMU and compass more often and watch out for the green lights.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic