Phantom battery does not charge

Reaction score
I have a new Phantom battery that does not charge. I was able to use it once, but when I try to charge it, it gets stuck with the Charge Status and 1S LED blinking. I tried that overnight but it won't charge at all. Any idea ? The charger works fine with other batteries.

Seems like there is something wrong with the balance cable, it detects just one of the 3 cells (1S? should be 3S)
This is the instruction, you are sure every step is followed:

1. Connect the red and black plugs of the charger cable to the charge
socket. Make sure the red plug to the red charge socket, and the
black plug to the black charge socket.
2. Insert the AC power cord into the charger and AC cord into a wall
socket (100-240V). The charge status LED will flash green.
3. Select the battery type switch to LiPo and the current switch to 2A.
4. Connect the battery connector to the XT60 connector of charger
cable, and the battery balance wire to the 3S balance socket.
5. Start charging. The 1S/2S/3S cell LED will glow constant red.
When the charge status LED glows constant red, it is charging in
CC (Constant Current) mode. When the charge status LED blinks
green & red alternately is in CV (Constant Voltage) mode.
6. When the cell LED is flashing, the cell is balancing.
7. When the battery is fully charged, the charge status LED will glow
constant green.
8. Please disconnect the battery and the charger.

It must be something wrong with the pack if the charger works fine with other packs......

I'd recomend getting a decent charger, something like an IMAX b6, then you can see exactly what's happening with the batts ! Sorry it's not much help to your question, only thing I can think is the battery has been discharged to much and the cells are not responding ! But I could very easily be wrong !

if other batteries work fine, then there's something wrong with the battery.
unless you can see a break in the balance connector or wires that can be fixed,
it's quite likely you've got a bum battery.

I spoke with a knowledgeable guy at a hobby shop that sells them.
After chatting he asked if there was any chance I'd fully discharged the battery. I didn't tell him at first but this battery was in the Phantom I lost for eight hours... He said that the Phantom chargers were not designed to feed a charge to the battery if it can't detect a full circuit.

Therefore if the battery has been completely discharged then the battery charger that ships with the Phantom will not recognize it. You get no juice. He offered to use a power supply they have at the shop to give my current battery just enough juice so that that the standard charger would recognize it and begin recharging it normally.

I'm going to head over there tomorrow.

Why not just buy a good charger while there ? Lipo batteries are fairly sensitive to differences between cells.

After I charge my packs, I balance them as well.

I've never used the charger that came with my Phantom.

Rogers Global said:
Therefore if the battery has been completely discharged then the battery charger that ships with the Phantom will not recognize it. You get no juice. He offered to use a power supply they have at the shop to give my current battery just enough juice so that that the standard charger would recognize it and begin recharging it normally.
I think that is the problem I am having with the battery. What good charger would you recommend ? I would need to charge 2 batteries at once.

Well I've got to admit... I'm impressed. They were able to bring my battery "back to life"!
Apparently it doesn't always work, so it's a little hit and miss but there were only 2 volts left in one of the cells and that just enough to get things charging and balancing again.

Wow mine is doing the same thing. I thought you should drain the battery before charging it again. There isn't a hobby shop around Cincinnati who would do something like this. Any suggestions of an online charger?

I ran my battery dead. Put it on the charger and all it showed was the green flashing main LED. I was really freaking out, so I flipped the switch to 3 amps and prayed. After about 2 hours the 1S led started to flash along with the main LED flashing. Sometime later all 4 LEDs were lit and not flashing, it was taking a charge. Battery came back from the dead.

cliffyballgame said:
Wow mine is doing the same thing. I thought you should drain the battery before charging it again. There isn't a hobby shop around Cincinnati who would do something like this. Any suggestions of an online charger?

Try Hobbytown in Mason (in the Kings Automall area). They may do that for you. I plugged in my battery incorrectly to my stock charger and let the smoke out, and took that battery to them and they checked it out to see if it was okay. Also sold me a new charger....which I highly recommend anyone do instead of using the stock charger.

You do NOT want to discharge Lipo batteries fully. By doing so you actually can damage them. The charger I bought will actually allow you to do a storage mode, which charges each cell to like 3.6V or something around that. I use that storage mode and then put the batteries in my frig when I know im not going to fly for a week or longer.

Also, something you probably should be aware about is you really should get a Lipo bag to store and charge your batteries. These batteries *can* explode or catch fire. Always keep an eye on your batteries when you are charging them to be safe.

I have a new Phantom battery that does not charge. I was able to use it once, but when I try to charge it, it gets stuck with the Charge Status and 1S LED blinking. I tried that overnight but it won't charge at all. Any idea ? The charger works fine with other batteries.

1. Unplug battery
2. Power it on as if your were going to power the drone on, if it were in the drone. But do not have battery in the drone.
3. Once battery lights are on or flashing, plug it in.

Will resolve your issue. there is absolutely no reason to buy an aftermarket charger to fix this issue.

1. Unplug battery
2. Power it on as if your were going to power the drone on, if it were in the drone. But do not have battery in the drone.

Will resolve your issue. there is absolutely no reason to buy an aftermarket charger to fix this issue.
Welcome to the party Billy,

Sounds like you know your way around the LiPo world. Nice to have you aboard.
I'm sleepy, so going to use that as an excuse, but I can't understand what you said to do. Any chance of clarifying, maybe with a :30 video or rewording your instructions?

Here is something for you to hang on to. It works well, please try it.
This will help you find things here. It's Google Custom Search for just our forum.
Enter your text in the middle of the page, not at the top.
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Enjoy the show... :)

As for the rest of this thread, I am happy to hear about the batteries being brought back to life. Maybe I will be able to do the same with my 1st Phantom battery, which I think I killed deader than a door nail.

1. Unplug battery

Thanks... Worked for me.
I had that last LED blinking on my intelligent battery..
Must have tried to charge it while still too warm.
Back on the charger now. Oh, already done charging.
I love this 100w charger.

RedHotPoker

Hey Billy, that hasn't worked for me, my problem is when I plug the charger in I get 2 green lights and the red light on the button flash at the same time it does that again and stops for 3 seconds then starts the flashes again. I really hope somebody can suggest something as it's not time for a new battery yet as it's not 6 months old.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic