Phantom 5 ???

There are specialized purpose built iterations of the P4Ps out there. And pictures of them are being used in the rumor mill for the p5.
It's amazing how easily some people have been convinced by DJI's implausible "explanation" of those images.
The Phantom 4 drone with interchangeable lenses sighted in some online publications is not a DJI product for public sale. To clarify, this was a modified Phantom 4 Pro drone designed for an enterprise client to serve specific application needs.
That's quickly dismissed when you consider the cost to develop a completely new camera, lens mount and a range of lenses.
No client is going to pay that sort of cost when for much less, they can get an off the shelf Matrice and X7 which would do the job better.
And they aren't going to wait the time it would take to develop either.
That story makes no sense at all.

So, given the Mavic 2 (1” sensor version, not the zoom version) what, if any, are the advantages of the P4P v2 over it for a photographer? This is a real dilemma for me as I am about to put in an order for the Phantom. Note: I am interested wholly in photography.

Added: Here is a comparison. One thing that pops out is that the Mavic 2 Pro has a wider temperature tolerance over the P4P, which would make a difference in cold weather operation. The Mavic 2 lens is also less wide (28 mm effective).

Comparison of Consumer Camera Drones – Spark, Mavic, and Phantom – DJI

Last edited:
It's amazing how easily some people have been convinced by DJI's implausible "explanation" of those images.
The Phantom 4 drone with interchangeable lenses sighted in some online publications is not a DJI product for public sale. To clarify, this was a modified Phantom 4 Pro drone designed for an enterprise client to serve specific application needs.
That's quickly dismissed when you consider the cost to develop a completely new camera, lens mount and a range of lenses.
No client is going to pay that sort of cost when for much less, they can get an off the shelf Matrice and X7 which would do the job better.
Those were my thoughts exactly. It’s easy to see from DJI’s perspective. Advance knowledge in the market of release timing and features in new models hurts business. The last thing they want is for potential customers to hold off purchasing a current model in anticipation of what might be comming. This is especially true when people might expect to get more for the same outlay.

The "supposed" customer for those p4 s with interchangeable lenses was told to me to be a Chinese electrical company and they ordered "a lot" of them. The reason given why they won't go into mainstream production was that the retail price would need to be much higher than DJI feels they can sell in enough volume to justify it. That does make sense. How many would be willing to pay $3500 for that Phantom with a baby X5S that has low bitrate (probably 100mbps), and lower flight time than a P4P. A little more investment and you're into an I2 with full size X5s and ability to optionally go to CDNG/PR and bitrate that can't reasonably compared to 100mbps.

But sure, like everyone else, I don't know anything for certain. But the images that get tossed around are clearly a P4 platform with a unique camera. Not a engineered model that they would call a P5. Again, my opinion. We'll have to wait and see !!

Last edited:
Well I wrote the big cheese and he responded so I think it's safe to say we will se a Phantom 5!!!

jkdgk.jpg

My take is the P5 will not be introduced. Folding designs such as the Mavic Air and the Mavic Pro 2 have proven to be much more favorable by the consumer. If you want more camera capability, I believe your choice is the Inspire. Maybe, just maybe, a folding P5 will come along. BUT ... how would it be differentiated from the Mavic Pro 2?

I don't want a folding drone designed around portability, I want a drone designed to get great footage that doesn't cost as much as the Inspire - e.g the Phantom
If people want portability they sacrifice something. Up until last week the Mavic line was pretty much a flying mobile phone camera; 2 years after the Phantom 4 Pro was released it's now on par with it.

I'd think there's still a big market for the P5.

I don't want a folding drone designed around portability, I want a drone designed to get great footage that doesn't cost as much as the Inspire - e.g the Phantom
If people want portability they sacrifice something. Up until last week the Mavic line was pretty much a flying mobile phone camera; 2 years after the Phantom 4 Pro was released it's now on par with it.

I'd think there's still a big market for the P5.

The following video was captured by my P4P and my Mavic Air. Can you tell which footage was done with which. If you can’t, tell me more about your complaint about flying iPhones. The tell me more on what was sacrificed in the Mavic Air footage.

The following video was captured by my P4P and my Mavic Air. Can you tell which footage was done with which. If you can’t, tell me more about your complaint about flying iPhones. The tell me more on what was sacrificed in the Mavic Air footage.

For stills photography the difference should be obvious. Probably not at sizes shared on the web (unless lighting was bleak) but at reasonable sizes where you would want to make prints 8x10 and larger.

If I wasn't watching it on a compresssed, embedded video on a 5 inch mobile phone I'd probably take some guesses.

I filmed something on an X5s which was broadcast on TV. For all the world knows it could have been filmed with a Phantom 3, considering the lighting given and playback quality of broadcast TV. Does that mean the Phantom 3 is just as good as an Inspire 2 setup?

I never complained anyway... I was stating something. I have no issues with the Mavic, it was a good portable drone, but you can't tell me things weren't sacrificed. For one, it doesnt even have an adjustable aperture.

If I wasn't watching it on a compresssed, embedded video on a 5 inch mobile phone I'd probably take some guesses.

I filmed something on an X5s which was broadcast on TV. For all the world knows it could have been filmed with a Phantom 3, considering the lighting given and playback quality of broadcast TV. Does that mean the Phantom 3 is just as good as an Inspire 2 setup?

I never complained anyway... I was stating something. I have no issues with the Mavic, it was a good portable drone, but you can't tell me things weren't sacrificed. For one, it doesnt even have an adjustable aperture.

The video I showed you was all excellent lighting conditions. In this case the P4P had no advantage over the Mavic air. The larger pixels of the Phantom 4 Pro would have made a difference in low lighting. There is also an advantage of having a variable aperture. You don’t need to use neutral density filter’s so much. You also have a longer flight times. But, for most of us, the portability of the Mavic Air would generally be a strong feature.

Here is a place where my P4P captured some nice stills in low light ... www.schundlerphoto.com ... check GALLERY under the tab AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY. These images can be enlarged without out have a grain issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donald Brent
I think the biggest advantage the Mavic 2 Pro has over the P4P's camera is that it shoots 10-bit video (assuming it's h265 codec is up to par and not just another marketing gimmick like the P4P's 4K-60 with not enough bit-rate). 10-bit video is a BIG deal! You can actually color grade with that--unlike 8-bit video unless you use the special (yet very tedious) sauce that I discovered unintentionally... :p In any case, I for one thing don't think there's much reason for a P5. There's nothing stopping DJI from making a larger mavic to carry a larger camera that still offers more portability than the phantom while not being as expensive as an I2. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there's anything better about the airframe design of the Phantom series over the Mavic--except perhaps with flying sideways at higher effeciency. Handling wind and turbulence I believe is more a function of effective density.

I think the biggest advantage the Mavic 2 Pro has over the P4P's camera is that it shoots 10-bit video (assuming it's h265 codec is up to par and not just another marketing gimmick like the P4P's 4K-60 with not enough bit-rate). 10-bit video is a BIG deal! You can actually color grade with that--unlike 8-bit video unless you use the special (yet very tedious) sauce that I discovered unintentionally... :p In any case, I for one thing don't think there's much reason for a P5. There's nothing stopping DJI from making a larger mavic to carry a larger camera that still offers more portability than the phantom while not being as expensive as an I2. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there's anything better about the airframe design of the Phantom series over the Mavic--except perhaps with flying sideways at higher effeciency. Handling wind and turbulence I believe is more a function of effective density.

As things stand today, from a purely stills photography point of view, the Mavic 2 Pro equals (or betters by a hair) the P4P. This perhaps holds true for video as well. The only area where the P4P holds an edge is the mechanical shutter but in most situations an electronic shutter will suffice.

The only way DJI can now differentiate the Phantom series from the Mavic is in the camera sensor and optics pipeline. Will the Phantom 5 (assuming it is still in play) feature a full-frame or an APS-C sensor? We can only speculate.

In any case, I for one thing don't think there's much reason for a P5. There's nothing stopping DJI from making a larger mavic to carry a larger camera that still offers more portability than the phantom while not being as expensive as an I2. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there's anything better about the airframe design of the Phantom series over the Mavic--except perhaps with flying sideways at higher effeciency. Handling wind and turbulence I believe is more a function of effective density.

Wouldn't a larger Mavic be a P5? Maybe we will see a new design, but I'm not sure. The current design is streamlined in all directions and is adopted by a lot of other companies. It's moulded and solid, needing no extra weight from moving parts and folding arms. Maybe they'll up the efficiency of the motors to carry more weight (detachable lenses?).
Folding this and micro that requires a lot of R&D, that costs money. You can sh** out a tried and tested design packed with newer technology and charge less (Unless you're Porsche haha).
I think we could both sit here all day and discuss what we think may happen, as fun as it is, we'll probably both be wrong.

Reactions: whitelineNI
I notice no one post these pictures
20180903_204051.jpg
20180903_204000.jpg
View attachment 103108,yes would be nice to see but I'm wondering if the p4pv2 was the #5,I wonder how many versions they can stretch it out to,what next p4pv3 p4pv4, was just pondering thoughts on that so don't bite me head off...I do like the second picture but retractable landing gear just something else to go wrong as nice as it looks,,so many leaked pictures of the p5 I don't know which one is real anymore:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT