Phantom 4 yaw motor broken! plz help

Reaction score
Hello pilots,

As this is going to be my first post. It might end up being a long one. my sincere apologies since I am really bad at explaining things,

I crashed my drone on the day I bought it, from really high altitude. It's was in pretty bad shape.

I decided to work on it and swapped the shell and all the motors, it was a success. It's flying again!
The gimbal however is wobbling. I guess the yaw motor took a huge hit and it's gone bad.

I found one on ebay and ordered it. But to my bad luck the new replacement yaw motor has got a different mounting pattern compared to the one I have. So I contacted the seller and I have sent him the photo. He told me that the yaw motor what I have is the old style and the motor which I have got is new style. Please see the attached photo for the difference.
Capture.PNG

Now when I tried mounting the new motor on to the vibration plate the holes didn't match. (check the attachments)

I have looked everywhere to get a yaw motor with the old mounting pattern. But all my tires went in vain.
But I was able to find the vibration plate which has got the new mounting pattern and supports the new motor. The problem with the new vibration plate is " The tiny circuit board which sits on the vibration plate doesn't match holes with the new plate. Since when dji updated the yaw motor assembly they decided to update the yaw motor circuit board as well.
Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

now here is what I am in desperate need.

if someone has a yaw motor from their broken gimbal I would buy it from you. provided it must be the old style.

OR

I need a new (updated) style circuit board. (since I have the new motor and its bracket.)

Thank you for ready my lengthy post.

Please help me out. I don't want to spend another 375 dollars just for the gimbal. Especially When all the other motors are working fine and only one motor is getting over loaded.

Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

~Khan~

Hello pilots,

As this is going to be my first post. It might end up being a long one. my sincere apologies since I am really bad at explaining things,

I crashed my drone on the day I bought it, from really high altitude. It's was in pretty bad shape.

I decided to work on it and swapped the shell and all the motors, it was a success. It's flying again!
The gimbal however is wobbling. I guess the yaw motor took a huge hit and it's gone bad.

I found one on ebay and ordered it. But to my bad luck the new replacement yaw motor has got a different mounting pattern compared to the one I have. So I contacted the seller and I have sent him the photo. He told me that the yaw motor what I have is the old style and the motor which I have got is new style. Please see the attached photo for the difference.
View attachment 69590

Now when I tried mounting the new motor on to the vibration plate the holes didn't match. (check the attachments)

I have looked everywhere to get a yaw motor with the old mounting pattern. But all my tires went in vain.
But I was able to find the vibration plate which has got the new mounting pattern and supports the new motor. The problem with the new vibration plate is " The tiny circuit board which sits on the vibration plate doesn't match holes with the new plate. Since when dji updated the yaw motor assembly they decided to update the yaw motor circuit board as well.
View attachment 69596
View attachment 69597

if someone has a yaw motor from their broken gimbal I would buy it from you. provided it must be the old style.

OR

I need a new (updated) style circuit board. (since I have the new motor and its bracket.)

Please help me out. I don't want to spend another 375 dollars just for the gimbal. Especially When all the other motors are working fine and only one motor is getting over loaded.

~Khan~

Where did you get your yaw motor from? I also need one. My P4 is several months old but still has the new style motor and plate. good luck with it.
Don

Did you ever get to replace the motor? I'm trying to replace the roll motor (one near camera) and I heard you have to remagnetized things. Is that true?

Reactions: scottcim
I replaced mine but it's not pointing exactly straight. It works okay just not pointing exactly straight. Not sure about the magnet and what centers the camera

Did you ever get to replace the motor? I'm trying to replace the roll motor (one near camera) and I heard you have to remagnetized things. Is that true?
Sorry I don't have such thing.
But I have a spare pitch arm motor.
Bought a broken gimbal from Ebay. Everything works fine on it except the camera.
let me know if you are intrested

I replaced mine but it's not pointing exactly straight. It works okay just not pointing exactly straight. Not sure about the magnet and what centers the camera

Did you buy the yaw motor from ebay ? if you did then does the wire strip color is copper if yes then i had the same issue.
I ended up replacing the original motor from a broken gimbal which I bought off ebay.

Hello pilots,

View attachment 69590

View attachment 69596
View attachment 69597

OR

~Khan~
I have both the items you are looking for. The new style board and the old style motor. Actually i have all the motors new style and old. They are all used but in good condition. Just PM me or email me at : [email protected]

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have both the items you are looking for. The new style board and the old style motor. Actually i have all the motors new style and old. They are all used but in good condition. Just PM me or email me at : [email protected]

Hey!!

I am in need of the new style motor now
I got the new plate of amazon.

Sounds like you have had more experience with the new P4 cameras than you probably want, but, that's OK, because you are now the "expert". I have been avoiding the P4's but have finally gotten sucked into repairing them, since I have been fixing the P2V+'s and P3's for some time. I keep reading the posts that make reference to the P4 Yaw motor "sensor". Where is it and what does it look like? All I can determine is that the yaw motor body is "keyed" to the motor's 2 chip resistors. But, even being aligned, I still get a 20 to 30 degree tilt to one side or the other. Even changed yaw motors with the same results. I changed roll circuit boards with no change. The only thing I can think of is changing the ribbon cable. I have one coming. This particular camera has NO visible outward appearing damage from a crash, so it is difficult to pinpoint possible source of issues.

I would greatly appreciate any input form you or other "pilots" on this issue and, as usual, will post my results in order to benefit the P4 community of DIYer's.

Thanks,
Jim

It is on the back side of the yaw arm. The yaw motor and the roll motor connect to it. I am still in hell with these. I bought a bunch of yaw motors and i basically swap motors until i get one that works. I also swap the sensors. I have fixed a few this way. I am abkjt to retire so you can take over.

It is on the back side of the yaw arm. The yaw motor and the roll motor connect to it. I am still in hell with these. I bought a bunch of yaw motors and i basically swap motors until i get one that works. I also swap the sensors. I have fixed a few this way. I am abkjt to retire so you can take over.
Do you mean the roll motor circuit board that 3 ribbons connect to?
Soon as I figure this out, I might consider your offer. :}

Yes . The roll and yaw motors plus the main ribbon cable.
I find it hard to believe that every yaw motor is special.

tried something today that I have been poo pooing for weeks. shoot me now. I saw a YouTube video about how to take the housing off your old yaw motor and put it on the motor part of your new motor. He did this because he said the magnet in the original HAD to be kept. I thought why would DJI do such a silly thing as make every yaw motor specific to that gimbal?? I actually took the old housing (old style) and put it on a new motor.(new style)
Oh crap it worked and centered. The new motor I had on it pointed to the left about 20 degrees. here is the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

tried something today that I have been poo pooing for weeks. shoot me now. I saw a YouTube video about how to take the housing off your old yaw motor and put it on the motor part of your new motor. He did this because he said the magnet in the original HAD to be kept. I thought why would DJI do such a silly thing as make every yaw motor specific to that gimbal?? I actually took the old housing (old style) and put it on a new motor.(new style)
Oh crap it worked and centered. The new motor I had on it pointed to the left about 20 degrees. here is the link
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
In manufacturing, DJI, or anybody, can't afford to customize parts. However, he might have inadvertently stumbled onto the fact that the old motor shell may have been partially demagnetized, altering the "positioning" of the motor. I determined, some time ago, that the magnetic "rings" have evenly spaced segments of magnetism. Very much like "stepped" motors. If the magnetic ring is OK, then one of the resistor chips is bad on the edge of the motor. I have had many motors with dislodged chips, (along with a small copper winding wire broken), from the rim of the shell hitting them in a crash.

I am bound and determined to figure this out!!! :}

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic