Phantom 4 to Statue of Liberty from Battery Park NYC

very nice, were there any other pilots out there? Do you have to do anything special with airport(s) proximity and volume of air traffic?

I looked it up on airmap - looks totally legal
Really? UAV forecast shows 16 aviation facilities within 5 miles of Battery park city. Having lived there for 25 years this is about as illegal a flight one could undertake, unless of course the operator contacted them all before flying. As the OP has provided digital proof of his possible infractions rather publicly, I wonder how long it is before none of us can fly without major restrictions.

[emoji341]

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Really? UAV forecast shows 16 aviation facilities within 5 miles of Battery park city. Having lived there for 25 years this is about as illegal a flight one could undertake, unless of course the operator contacted them all before flying. As the OP has provided digital proof of his possible infractions rather publicly, I wonder how long it is before none of us can fly without major restrictions.

[emoji341]

Not if you're Part 107 - there isn't any controlled airspace there

The rule applies to facilities ... There are at least 2 helo ports and a sea plane base all in lower Manhattan ... 2 more helo operators in midtown EWR, TEB, JFK within 5. EGA might stretch past 5 miles. Controlled or not, notification is required or have I misread the reg?

The rule applies to facilities ... There are at least 2 helo ports and a sea plane base all in lower Manhattan ... 2 more helo operators in midtown EWR, TEB, JFK within 5. EGA might stretch past 5 miles. Controlled or not, notification is required or have I misread the reg?

For Part 107 I don't think so. You ARE required to fly safely - so you have to keep situational awareness. To be careful you might consider contacting the ports that are nearby. If you don't have Part 107 it's more complicated. In that situation you ARE required to notify the nearby heli and airports.

My understanding is notification is required in any event ... 107 or not.

You can see on Airmap & iFlightPlanner that there's no controlled airspace there - it's all Class G. There are probably occasionally TFRs there - but not right now.
If you're near an airport or heliport that doesn't have controlled airspace DJI Go will give you a warning to be careful (yellow). If you're in controlled airspace it will not let you fly (without confirmation that you have permission) - red.

Reactions: Avocet
Thanks for the clarity Rob ... A lot of non 107ers think that permission is required when contacting an ATC, etc. This as I interpret it is not correct. One need just inform ATC of their intentions. If the ATC objects, the matter gets sticky and involves FAA participation. I have been contacting my FBOs nearby in any event and they are almost always appreciative and cooperative.

I still wonder about about the original OP flight. The sky is often full of Jet Bell rangers orbiting the SOL with tourist flights with flight paths very much like the quad as it filmed her. It very much seems like a problem waiting to happen. I know there is a VFR corridor over the centerline of the Hudson river extending north of the G.W. Bridge well out into the bay from my days when I worked towards my pilot's license from TEB.

Did the OP say whether he is a 107 ticket holder? After all, that is the central issue as I see it here.

Happy New Year ...

Thanks for the clarity Rob ... A lot of non 107ers think that permission is required when contacting an ATC, etc. This as I interpret it is not correct. One need just inform ATC of their intentions. If the ATC objects, the matter gets sticky and involves FAA participation. I have been contacting my FBOs nearby in any event and they are almost always appreciative and cooperative.

I still wonder about about the original OP flight. The sky is often full of Jet Bell rangers orbiting the SOL with tourist flights with flight paths very much like the quad as it filmed her. It very much seems like a problem waiting to happen. I know there is a VFR corridor over the centerline of the Hudson river extending north of the G.W. Bridge well out into the bay from my days when I worked towards my pilot's license from TEB.

Did the OP say whether he is a 107 ticket holder? After all, that is the central issue as I see it here.

Happy New Year ...
I agree with all of that. Notification is always better. That said - helicopters are not supposed to routinely fly below 500' - so ordinarily there wouldn't be a problem since drones can't legally fly above 400'. If the chopper is taking off or landing you need to be careful. The bigger problem I see here is that the distance from Battery Park to the SOL is almost 2 miles - so who can see a drone from that far away?

gvfb
I agree with all of that. Notification is always better. That said - helicopters are not supposed to routinely fly below 500' - so ordinarily there wouldn't be a problem since drones can't legally fly above 400'. If the chopper is taking off or landing you need to be careful. The bigger problem I see here is that the distance from Battery Park to the SOL is almost 2 miles - so who can see a drone from that far away?
That's one reason I'm kind of intrigued by the new black P4 - seems like it would be a lot easier to see from a distance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.