Phantom 4 take off pause then go

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that when you take off (no auto take off) manually, that the phantom goes up about 3 feet then you have control of it? I don't like that if I'm taking off into the wind I want to push forward right away not have it go straight where it could gust back into something. Anyone else notice this or know how to turn it off?
Thanks!

No, I can take off right away in which ever direction I choose.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

that's weird it does like an automatic take off even though it's manual take off.

I've never noticed that behavior, but I'm flying my P4 tomorrow, I'll pay close attention. I'm pretty sure mine will fly forward right after I take off.

Has anyone noticed that when you take off (no auto take off) manually, that the phantom goes up about 3 feet then you have control of it? I don't like that if I'm taking off into the wind I want to push forward right away not have it go straight where it could gust back into something. Anyone else notice this or know how to turn it off?
Thanks!

I have never noticed this when I take off but when I take off I always make sure that I am in an open space away from any objects, especially when there are gusts of wind. :)

I've never really thought about it. Because of my helicopter experience, the first thing I try to do is pop up 3-4 feet anyway to get out of potential vortex problems. Why would you want to take off "slower" anyway. Staying slowly below 3 feet is just asking for problems. Slow and steady is a good rule of thumb but it's not always equally applicable to every situation and takeoff of a heli or multi is a great example.

For this very reason, DJI may "make" it pop up fairly quickly, regardless stick control but I doubt it. I'll play with it this afternoon and if I find it to be the case, I'll report back here. Again, I doubt that's the case though, even though I could make a case for them having done so.

After updating to the latest firmware, my P4 is doing some weird stuff in manual and auto take off. When manually launching, it looses power about 2' off the ground regardless of what I'm doing with the sticks. It begins to drop and then after a split second it recognizes my input and lifts up until I stop it. When I do the auto take off, a similar action is visible. It does a funky yoyo dance and then goes up to the hover position. Very bizarre and not comforting. Before updating, I had about 50 flights on this P4 without any issues. I did a basic cold IMU cal, but not a sensor cal w/ DJI Assistant after updating firmware and DJI Go. Will do the sensor cal now.

I should add that the same take off behavior is also present when using Litchi.

After updating to the latest firmware, my P4 is doing some weird stuff in manual and auto take off. When manually launching, it looses power about 2' off the ground regardless of what I'm doing with the sticks. It begins to drop and then after a split second it recognizes my input and lifts up until I stop it. When I do the auto take off, a similar action is visible. It does a funky yoyo dance and then goes up to the hover position. Very bizarre and not comforting. Before updating, I had about 50 flights on this P4 without any issues. I did a basic cold IMU cal, but not a sensor cal w/ DJI Assistant after updating firmware and DJI Go. Will do the sensor cal now.

I should add that the same take off behavior is also present when using Litchi.

Did you get to the bottom of this?

If you are too close to the ground and on p mode the OA will prevent you from moving forward. Go up more before pushing forward and you should start moving.

Don't want to tempt fate but DJI released a new version of Assistant yesterday. It has a new VPS calibration section. I've used it and (touch wood) just had a very stable test flight. Will test more in the morning but it looks like the new process works!!!!

Reactions: chazzm
For all those with bouncing yo-yo jumpy jumping problems (covering all the keywords I've been searching with) - you heard it here first :)

Thanks!
I NEVER use auto take off and nor should you for this reason.

If for some reason your props aren't installed well because you were in a rush or whatever, would you rather have it pop up 3 seconds while it's rising for 3 seconds or let it run for about 5-6! seconds before sending it in the air.

I'm amazed they even let any prop place take off without first spinning on the ground for at least 3-5 seconds.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20