Phantom 4 Pro without the built in screen?

Reaction score
I just sold my P4 standard to upgrade to the Pro. I have heard the built in screen is a drawback. Your thoughts if you have a Pro? What is the P4 Advanced? Is the P4P worth upgrading to? I’ll take thoughts all the way around, even the criticism that I should have stuck with my P4 [emoji10]

Paul

I just sold my P4 standard to upgrade to the Pro. I have heard the built in screen is a drawback. Your thoughts if you have a Pro? What is the P4 Advanced? Is the P4P worth upgrading to? I’ll take thoughts all the way around, even the criticism that I should have stuck with my P4
If you are interested in photography, you made the right choice.
The pro, pro+ and Advanced all have the same camera and it's a huge improvement in photographic quality beyond the p4.
The screen of the + model is the whole reason for the model.
many users love theirs but the screen size might not suit everybody.
It's not the right choice if you need to run 3rd party apps for mapping or waypoint flying.

Reactions: With The Birds
If you are interested in photography, you made the right choice.
The pro, pro+ and Advanced all have the same camera and it's a huge improvement in photographic quality beyond the p4.
The screen of the + model is the whole reason for the model.
many users love theirs but the screen size might not suit everybody.
It's not the right choice if you need to run 3rd party apps for mapping or waypoint flying.

So I’d like to get the upgraded camera and obstacle avoidance in all directions but not the built in screen. Would that be the advanced?

Paul

So I’d like to get the upgraded camera and obstacle avoidance in all directions but not the built in screen. Would that be the advanced?
No .. the Advanced has less obstacle avoidance sensors than the Pro.
But ... the side sensors only operate in beginner and Tripod modes, so for general flying, none of the P4 variants gives you obstacle avoidance in all directions.
To compare models, go to: Consumer Drones Comparison- DJI
Turn off the models you aren't interested in and you'll be left with the ones you want to compare.

IMO, don't buy the Advanced. The P4P works much better with 5.8Ghz, 4+ mile range (with windsurfer). The Advanced model offers only 2.4Ghz and struggles past 2 miles because of the RC that comes with it, the GL300C, which I'm not a fan.

Also, avoid the P4P+, as the display is not up-gradable, you're stuck with a small 5.5" screen. With P4P you have options, many options, including the new 2000nit 8" CrystalSky if you can afford it.

Last edited:
IMO, don't buy the Advanced. The P4P works much better with 5.8Ghz, 4+ mile range (with windsurfer). The Advanced model offers only 2.4Ghz and struggles past 2 miles because of the RC that comes with it, the GL300C, which I'm not a fan.

Also, avoid the P4P+, as the display is not up-gradable, you're stuck with a small 5.5" screen. With P4P you have options, many options, including the new 2000nit 8" CrystalSky if you can afford it.

So, I want the P4P but without the built in screen. Is that possible?

Thanks

Yes. Buy the P4P instead of the P4P+. When purchasing in the DJI Store, you'll be prompted to select which remote controller you'd like.

Thanks
Yes, like msinger and meta said, get the P4P. It rocks.

Then you have the decide on the tablet to use. The least risk scenario IMO is an iPad with at least an A8 CPU. Minimum would be iPad Mini4, or an Air2. There are some deals on Air2 since they stopped making them. I'm not an iOS fan, but to fly DJI craft they certainly seem to work the best IMO. I had trouble with Android working right, even a high end S3 Samsung, they just wouldn't work for me. My phone is an LG-G5, would have nothing else, but my preferred smart device for flying DJI is an iPad Air2. The new iPad Pro's are a little brighter if you can afford that, better CPU too. However, maybe in the future you'll want the ULTRA CrystalSky tablet, super bright at 2000nit, just now starting to ship. I'm considering that myself, but I need to see one first. I'm waiting for my local DJI store to get one in so I can actually see it in person, in sunlight.

The new iPad Pro's are a little brighter if you can afford that, better CPU too. However, maybe in the future you'll want the ULTRA CrystalSky tablet, super bright at 2000nit, just now starting to ship. I'm considering that myself, but I need to see one first. I'm waiting for my local DJI store to get one in so I can actually see it in person, in sunlight.

Check out this video, especially at 1.22m where they compare the Mini 4

Reactions: Capt KO
I had to P4P+ initially. The first issue was that you had limited software applications available for it. The second issue was that in bright sunlight even the brighter built-in screen was hard to see. So for a limited investment I bought the P4P standard radio controller. Then, in my opinion, the best device was the Epson BT-300 to give me good clear images on sunny days.

Reactions: lannes
I had to P4P+ initially. The first issue was that you had limited software applications available for it. The second issue was that in bright sunlight even the brighter built-in screen was hard to see. So for a limited investment I bought the P4P standard radio controller. Then, in my opinion, the best device was the Epson BT-300 to give me good clear images on sunny days.

The BT-300 is a great option, but there are glitches with the DJI Go4 1.4.18 just released in new firmware

I just sold my P4 standard to upgrade to the Pro. I have heard the built in screen is a drawback. Your thoughts if you have a Pro? What is the P4 Advanced? Is the P4P worth upgrading to? I’ll take thoughts all the way around, even the criticism that I should have stuck with my P4 [emoji10]

Paul
Go for the Pro+, no more problems over incompatabilty with phones/tablets.

Only my opinion, as a relatively new flyer and the owner of a Phantom pro4 + .

The BT-300 is a great option, but there are glitches with the DJI Go4 1.4.18 just released in new firmware
Which glitches do you experience? I’ve only used mine for one session since upgrade but that went very well.

I own a P4P+. It’s definitely a personal decision. Like buying a computer, the first question to answer is “What am I going to use it for?” Then you can decide how it should be featured. I don’t need any third party apps to do what I want/need to do. With a P4P+ I don’t need to find another display device, worry about compatibility or suffer from upgrade problems. Everything just works —- and very well too.

Reactions: JohhnySkye
Which glitches do you experience? I’ve only used mine for one session since upgrade but that went very well.

On the BT-300, high latency and pixelation with the DJI Go 4.1.18, so many of us have side loaded the newer 4.1.24 version or are using Litchi , both which have no problems

Reactions: Tomas Wangen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga