Phantom 4 Pro V2: Yaw Issues: Rotates on its own

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've had this P4ProV2 for some months now - may be 6 - and it bugs me every time I fly... The thing turns on its own...

When I go forward for a while and then i release the controls, it just suddenly yaws to one side... it doesn't keep going in the same direction...

Even when I'm moving forward or backwards, there's always a little bit of turn... I had to pull back from some actors on a rock once, and we had to redo the thing 3 or 4 times cause it just wouldn't keep them centered and the film director wasn't happy... this ain't good for my rep.

I tried fiddling with the yaw settings, but that didn't change anything... I thought it was the remote control that was emitting turn signals... but no... last week I paired it with a friend's remote and the exact same thing happened... and his remote works fine with his drone...

I also have issues making 360° turns, it just won't turn with the same speed smoothly... without moving my finger any more, the thing will accelerate or slow down during the turn...

Now for the record, I have another P4Pro (not V2), a regular P4 and an Inspire 2 and the Air and Spark, none of which suffer those issues...

Is it possible that it is caused by those V2 propellers? I probably should try the drone with the regular props...

Let me know if any of you have encountered the same problem - and tell me how, if you've managed to fix it...

Thanks,

Reuben

Hi All,

I've had this P4ProV2 for some months now - may be 6 - and it bugs me every time I fly... The thing turns on its own...

When I go forward for a while and then i release the controls, it just suddenly yaws to one side... it doesn't keep going in the same direction...

Even when I'm moving forward or backwards, there's always a little bit of turn... I had to pull back from some actors on a rock once, and we had to redo the thing 3 or 4 times cause it just wouldn't keep them centered and the film director wasn't happy... this ain't good for my rep.

I tried fiddling with the yaw settings, but that didn't change anything... I thought it was the remote control that was emitting turn signals... but no... last week I paired it with a friend's remote and the exact same thing happened... and his remote works fine with his drone...

I also have issues making 360° turns, it just won't turn with the same speed smoothly... without moving my finger any more, the thing will accelerate or slow down during the turn...

Now for the record, I have another P4Pro (not V2), a regular P4 and an Inspire 2 and the Air and Spark, none of which suffer those issues...

Is it possible that it is caused by those V2 propellers? I probably should try the drone with the regular props...

Let me know if any of you have encountered the same problem - and tell me how, if you've managed to fix it...

Thanks,

Reuben

I have the same problem with the V2. It is a REFRESH replacement. I wish I still had the first one. I have done an IMU calibration which is supposed to help. Unfortunately due to weather I have not been able to get it up in the air yet. I have been told that will fix the problem. You could also try a RC calibration. I'm guessing with all your previous UAS experience you have already tried this. If you come up with a different fix please share. Good luck!!

Reactions: ReubenMru
Hi All,

Thanks,

Reuben

I’m getting ready to send mine back for the 3 time. Same issue. They sent me a used replacement that had the exact same issue as my new one.
Just a heads up, shipping maybe free but I was getting my drone in 3 weeks turnaround time.
I have done every calibration multiple time, even built a level surface out side and did an IMU cal outside away from all metal structures and electrical lines. Still turns. The P3 never had any issue.

Reactions: ReubenMru
I have the same problem with the V2. It is a REFRESH replacement. I wish I still had the first one. I have done an IMU calibration which is supposed to help. Unfortunately due to weather I have not been able to get it up in the air yet. I have been told that will fix the problem. You could also try a RC calibration. I'm guessing with all your previous UAS experience you have already tried this. If you come up with a different fix please share. Good luck!!
Yes I did do the RC Calibration - but not the IMU one - which i guess I'll do tomorrow...

Did the IMU calibration fix it for you?

Here's a video of the issue for the record, finally had time today to do this..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I’m getting ready to send mine back for the 3 time. Same issue. They sent me a used replacement that had the exact same issue as my new one.
Just a heads up, shipping maybe free but I was getting my drone in 3 weeks turnaround time.
I have done every calibration multiple time, even built a level surface out side and did an IMU cal outside away from all metal structures and electrical lines. Still turns. The P3 never had any issue.

**** that is really annoying!

We really need to find a way to put some pressure on DJI to FIX this!

I documented my issue above in the video, just had time to do it today...

It’s been there from day 1. June 2018.

They won’t fix it because they are no longer working on any improvements to the Phantom 4 line. Last firmware was 10/24/18. I have sent them plenty of emails. I did not want to send the drone in since the camera is perfect. You never seem to get the original drone back always a refurb. Anyone’s guess to camera quality.

The IMU calibration may help for 1 flight but it will start right back up.

Best fix is to learn to fly with slight negative stick pressure to the opposite direction of the yaw. Mine tends to move left. But it’s the same issue.

Paul C

It seems the IMU calibration helped. I will keep you posted on for how long. Have only flown 2 missions since. They were for mapping of a bridge and everything turned out fine. Typically I was seeing it drift as soon as I would launch. 4 ft in the air I could plainly see it. Now nothing. Fingers crossed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.