Phantom 4 Pro + V2.0 Exploded In Flight

dirkclod

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Saw this in my FB feed from a member here and thought I would share it .Might be posted and some might have seen it that is in DJI's forum but check this out if you hadn't.
Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 6.10.16 AM.png

PHANTOM 4 PRO + V2.0 EXPLODED IN FLIGHT

Did you notice if the battery was swollen before this flight? Was it difficult to insert and remove? We have a couple of swollen batts and have stopped using them. They were quite new without much use (4-5 flights), so maybe a design fault??
Doh, sorry, it wasn't your drone, nevermind, as you were....

• Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
Yes, I saw this a few weeks ago. It makes me thinking. It is horrible!
Never knew this is even possible.
What if this happened over some flammable material?! Over woods in autumn etc. Should we now fear of flying in wilderness too not causing a big fire? It's really bad. Not just in theory, now we practically know and see what may happened whit the battery driven devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: MTO
Don't quite understand your attitude. Waste of time? Why?

Did you read the thread over there? The incident is interesting and the cause appears to be obvious, but the level of bickering and name-calling in the discussion, and the total lack of understanding by almost all the participants makes it painful to read.

Well that was a fascinating read, I mean complete waste of time. The DJI forum really is a worthless pit of nonsense.
Well if you knew it you didn’t have to read it.
Was your choice to skip on by but thanks for your opinion.
I just posted it for those that find it interesting.

Reactions: oconnb
Well if you knew it you didn’t have to read it.
Was your choice to skip on by but thanks for your opinion.
I just posted it for those that find it interesting.

Not criticizing you for posting it - the event itself is significant. I was just really disappointed by the level of discourse on that forum.

Not criticizing you for posting it - the event itself is significant. I was just really disappointed by the level of discourse on that forum.
Well I’m sure you havn’t missed any of that here or in Mavic
but get what your saying. I stoped reading when I saw the second poster but did find the opening post interesting. :)

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Well I’m sure you havn’t missed any of that here or in Mavic
but get what your saying. I stoped reading when I saw the second poster but did find the opening post interesting. :)

These forums are bastions of knowledge and civility by comparison - partly due to your efforts of course - but also apparently just a completely different membership. If you had read further you would have been appalled, I suspect.

Agree. I stopped reading after the keyboard commandos went way over the line. It's a shame they are so immature that a civil conversation is impossible. Oh, well.....

Hey @dirkclod, I know you Mod numerous forums, do you referee the DJI Forum as well?

Agree. I stopped reading after the keyboard commandos went way over the line. It's a shame they are so immature that a civil conversation is impossible. Oh, well.....

Hey @dirkclod, I know you Mod numerous forums, do you referee the DJI Forum as well?
lol ,No Way .:p
I would go nuts in that one .

These forums are bastions of knowledge and civility by comparison - partly due to your efforts of course - but also apparently just a completely different membership. If you had read further you would have been appalled, I suspect.
I agree and don't really go into there but when I saw that I did to get the link .Like I said when I saw RHP I got out of there .:D

Reactions: captainmilehigh
No joke.
Well I done got this going off the main topic.
That was just from all my time here I had ever seen that happen. I have had all types of malfunctions with the P2's and them crash but had never seen one blow up as he described or read about one doing that.

No joke.
Well I done got this going off the main topic.
That was just from all my time here I had ever seen that happen. I have had all types of malfunctions with the P2's and them crash but had never seen one blow up as he described or read about one doing that.

The reported loud explosion seems unusual and there were no precursor indications of problems with the battery, but if it developed a short due to lithium crystallization then it's quite possible.

Yeah I just have never read anything like that before. I shot a old P3 battery with a shotgun slug one time to see what would happen and it just busted apart. No smoke or nothing.
I'm going to go back and read all of that as soon as I can and should have to start with but just didn't.
Almost scared to now . :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj