Phantom 4 Pro Sharpness settings

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm just wondering what is your sharpness settings
Does 4 Pro also have "built-in noise reduction issue" same as Mavics?
Thank you.

I don't know what you really talking about as the noise reduction is just the opposite of sharpening.

Well, on Mavics (at least some of them) there's an "issue". People call it "built-in noise reduction issue" which occurs if you set the sharpening to 0 or below and causes partially blurry, smudgy images. And btw they are not exactly the opposite things but sharpening and adding blur are. BUT, in practice removing noise causes some softness. So in that sense you are right.
I don't know what you really talking about as the noise reduction is just the opposite of sharpening.

I did some tests after posting my question to find out what's going on there and in conclusion if you put it to zero there is still, little bit too much for my taste, sharpening applied buy the camera and also it is a bit noisy. So I will use -1 from now on instead. Cause I couldn't spot any partially blurry areas like Mavics do.
Set it to zero. Sharpen in post as needed.

I did some tests after posting my question to find out what's going on there and in conclusion if you put it to zero there is still, little bit too much for my taste, sharpening applied buy the camera and also it is a bit noisy. So I will use -1 from now on instead. Cause I couldn't spot any partially blurry areas like Mavics do.

I should have also stated that you need to be shooting in RAW. Only way to get the best quality. Any 'adjustments' are not applied.

Reactions: LARA images
Oh I forgot to mention that I was actually talking about filming but interestingly enough when you shoot D-Log in video mode and leave it like that and switch to photo even though you choose raw, some weird thing happens and camera applies some settings to raw photo images, too! Other than that you are totally right and I always shoot in raw.
I should have also stated that you need to be shooting in RAW. Only way to get the best quality. Any 'adjustments' are not applied.

D-Cinelike will be better and will have less noise as with D-Log its locked at 500 ISO so more noise in the greys...for video

I've watched a lot of videos trying to get tips about settings, nd filters, etc BUT the best thing to do is experiment with different settings and see what you like best. The added benefit is you gain experience flying the aircraft.

Oh, and I agree that D-Cinelike works really well.

Reactions: Deezbs and 8orax
Well, on Mavics (at least some of them) there's an "issue". People call it "built-in noise reduction issue" which occurs if you set the sharpening to 0 or below and causes partially blurry, smudgy images. And btw they are not exactly the opposite things but sharpening and adding blur are. BUT, in practice removing noise causes some softness. So in that sense you are right.
Actually the "watercolor" effect is when you set sharpening to 0 or more. The "fix" is setting it to -1.

Oh I forgot to mention that I was actually talking about filming but interestingly enough when you shoot D-Log in video mode and leave it like that and switch to photo even though you choose raw, some weird thing happens and camera applies some settings to raw photo images, too! Other than that you are totally right and I always shoot in raw.
What software are you using to convert your Raw video and photos? Anything out there that's good for free or inexpensive?

How could there be a sharpening value of minus (value)? Perhaps it is actually softening the image little? Pretty weird.

Last edited:
How could there be a sharpening value of minus (value)? Perhaps it is actually softening the image little? Pretty weird.

I know this is off topic, BUT, I looked at your CUBA video on your site. VERY NICE. My wife is Cuban and I think you captured it wonderfully.

Ok, so back to the thread, lol. Yeah it is weird, but I also think -3 is closer to 0. That's pretty much what I shoot in now and add Sharpness in post, IF needed...

I know this is off topic, BUT, I looked at your CUBA video on your site. VERY NICE. My wife is Cuban and I think you captured it wonderfully.

Ok, so back to the thread, lol. Yeah it is weird, but I also think -3 is closer to 0. That's pretty much what I shoot in now and add Sharpness in post, IF needed...

DJ, that is very kind of you to check out my work. Thank you. Photography is my main thing, my drone is to support that. Personally, I save files in RAW so no sharpening or anything else is applied to the image. I do what is necessary in post processing.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
Just keep aperture below or equal to 6.3

Below in number. See below:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl