Phantom 4 pro - pulsing/flickering

Yes, I think so. I am a pro-cameraman in the UK, and an aeroplane pilot, and have just purchased my P4-Pro purely as a "camera platform" I am not really interested in the drone as a leisure item. I had the same experience with the 1st video I filmed.(PAL settings, not NTSC) The camera settings on the drone are very important . I would advise you to go to YouTube and find "Kenneth Hagan" and his posts will give you very accurate details as to camera settings. They are very similar to filming with DSLR cameras. The next issue depends on your editing software. I use Final Cut Pro X. On importing into FCP X the footage needs converting to Apple's Pro Res 422, as the footage from the drone is not in that format. The first time I used it, I had the same problem, and realised that the native footage as filmed that I had imported was actually captured at 23.45 frames per second, in spite of being filmed with a 25 fps setting on the drone. I then used a Third Party piece of software called "Free Video Converter" and set it to convert to Apple Pro Res 422 at 25 fps - and the results are perfect. I would again suggest you look at Kenneth Hagan's tutorials. I do not wish to claim superiority as a cameraman, but at 76 have had several years experience using cameras in the Broadcast industry, but flying and filming at the same time, is a new and challenging experience. I would not dream of trying to operate a camera whilst piloting an aeroplane. With a drone, you're having to do both. Quite a challenge to get it right ! Hope some of this prattle helps !
Good luck !
Hi Thanks for the advice, I downloaded the converter and changed the frame rate to 25fps (interestingly enough it was at 23.45...) and converted it to Apple Pro Res. Unfortunately the flickering was still there. Worth a try though :)

Last edited:
Hi Thanks for the advice, I downloaded the converter and changed the frame rate to 25fps (interestingly enough it was at 23.45...) and converted it to Apple Pro Res. Unfortunately the flickering was still there. Worth a try though :)

Same here, after the conversion the problem remains.
I don't know how to explain the issue, but for me, it's a kind of pulsing white light and look's like the trees and the vegetation in general have millions of ants moving...

It is Fred Hagen btw. He is very good at giving you great info on everything drone and video related.

Hello, somehow I'm not able to find a Kenneth but Frederick Hagan...
Can you post the link for the Free Video Converter?
Thank you
To produce Prores codec from DJI Phatom 4 4K H.264, you can have a try at Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac(best HD Video Converter for Mac Review), which helps to directly wrap DJI Phantom 4 4K H.264 video to FCP X best favorable editing format Apple Prores in various different file types. You can choose proper Prores format to output according to the following standards: That is a quote from the software people that I used. There are many facets to this problem, which I am still working my way through, but issues that I have "fed into my own equation" are: The power of the computer you are using for the edit. I use a 27 inch iMac - which just about copes, but an older MacBook Pro is total misery and useless. I have not filmed anything in 4K - as it is "way over the top" for everyday use, and clients do not have the display facilities to make the most of what 4K can offer. Good luck . I have found Frederick Hagan's YouTube channel a very good source of advice .

To produce Prores codec from DJI Phatom 4 4K H.264, you can have a try at Pavtube HD Video Converter for Mac(best HD Video Converter for Mac Review), which helps to directly wrap DJI Phantom 4 4K H.264 video to FCP X best favorable editing format Apple Prores in various different file types. You can choose proper Prores format to output according to the following standards: That is a quote from the software people that I used. There are many facets to this problem, which I am still working my way through, but issues that I have "fed into my own equation" are: The power of the computer you are using for the edit. I use a 27 inch iMac - which just about copes, but an older MacBook Pro is total misery and useless. I have not filmed anything in 4K - as it is "way over the top" for everyday use, and clients do not have the display facilities to make the most of what 4K can offer. Good luck . I have found Frederick Hagan's YouTube channel a very good source of advice .

Thank you, I already subscribe his youtube channel.

I have a Phantom 4 pro which is a few months old. I mainly use it for photography but have been doing a little film work for clients. I've found that when filming in low light conditions the footage looks great but in good light, particularly bright sunlight I get a horrendous pulsing/flickering effect which makes the footage unusable. Anyone know any way to fix/improve this?
The footage was shot at 25 fps, 1/50sec, F4,100ISO, 1920 X 1080 (full HD), ND Filter, EV locked.

Here's a high resolution clip - please watch in HD.

I'd love to hear from people who have some ideas around this, not people who troll these posts and say that they can't see anything wrong with the footage. Solution based answers from people that know what they're talking about only please...

Hi man, I've done my first flight today and immediately noticed that flickering problem; firstly I thought that I've used a too much fast shutter (1/800), but if u have the same thing with 1/50 shutter, the shutter is not the point.
I'm thinking now that is possible that the sensor isn't able to catch so detailed textures, like grass or trees, when u use the camera 90° angled, because when I used it in front view position and in different angles, the problem doesn't appears.
Have u seen the same problem while u shoot at different angles then 90°?
Thanks for sharing that, is useful to compare experiences and trying to solve them out.

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised more people haven't noted this issue. It's a real pain.
Its a real problem in bright sunlight, especially with greens (forests etc). I haven't noticed a difference depending on the camera angle...

I'm a little surprised more people haven't noted this issue. It's a real pain.
Its a real problem in bright sunlight, especially with greens (forests etc). I haven't noticed a difference depending on the camera angle...
I'm gonna solve that man ! I'm gonna try every possible way and I'm sure that I'm gonna solve it.
Have u tried to disable the mechanic shutter?

I have a Phantom 4 pro which is a few months old. I mainly use it for photography but have been doing a little film work for clients. I've found that when filming in low light conditions the footage looks great but in good light, particularly bright sunlight I get a horrendous pulsing/flickering effect which makes the footage unusable. Anyone know any way to fix/improve this?
The footage was shot at 25 fps, 1/50sec, F4,100ISO, 1920 X 1080 (full HD), ND Filter, EV locked.

I'd love to hear from people who have some ideas around this, not people who troll these posts and say that they can't see anything wrong with the footage. Solution based answers from people that know what they're talking about only please...

I understand your frustration, but having looked at your clip a few times, I really struggle to see any fault with it.

I think one needs to have a bit of a reality check here. Writing as a pro- video freelance cameraman in the UK - a broadcast spec video camera will set you back $7500 dollars, plus an average lens cost of $10k to shoot 50p HD video. My P4P cost me $1500 . Do you really expect my P4P to deliver footage to compare with stuff shot through a lens costing $10k ? If so, you are "living in cloud cuckoo land" Dream on - it will not happen. For the money - the P4P delivers very good results ! It is not without its issues, but for that money, what more can you expect ?

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I understand your frustration, but having looked at your clip a few times, I really struggle to see any fault with it.

I think one needs to have a bit of a reality check here. Writing as a pro- video freelance cameraman in the UK - a broadcast spec video camera will set you back $7500 dollars, plus an average lens cost of $10k to shoot 50p HD video. My P4P cost me $1500 . Do you really expect my P4P to deliver footage to compare with stuff shot through a lens costing $10k ? If so, you are "living in cloud cuckoo land" Dream on - it will not happen. For the money - the P4P delivers very good results ! It is not without its issues, but for that money, what more can you expect ?
Nuff said! The P4P is a beast for only 1500. First bird to throw up this quality of an image in this price range! Period!

Money doesn't regard anything with that thing man... U can buy an apsc camera for 400€ bucks and it has a better quality, so money is definitely not the point.
The point is the small sensor of the P4P, that can't catch every detail of the frame, especially when u use it at 90° camera angle while shooting trees and grass, but I'm pretty sure that there are some ways to reduce that annoying flickering problem, but I've haven't tried yet; for example, try shooting at 50fps, then try disable mechanical shutter, then try to use different frequency settings (50hz/60hz), then try to lock AE, then try different profiles (d-log, etc).
But, I think that the problem is the sensor, so we have just to try every possible way to reduce it, but I don't think that there's a way to solve it completely, unfortunately...

Nuff said! The P4P is a beast for only 1500. First bird to throw up this quality of an image in this price range! Period!

That's true man, but if u think that the camera was projected for outdoor use in sunlight, that flickering problem is pretty disturbing, independently of the price...

That's true man, but if u think that the camera was projected for outdoor use in sunlight, that flickering problem is pretty disturbing, independently of the price...
I never shoot in 60fps hardly ever yet anyway. So it's not a problem at all for me! I've never really noticed the flicker at 30fps or now 24fps which is what I went to. This drone is pretty incredible tbo in such a short time! Camera is pretty darn good for a tiny little bitty thing too. Def has issues here and there. But I'm sure as many as possible will be addressed with a Phantom 5 most likely.

I never shoot in 60fps hardly ever yet anyway. So it's not a problem at all for me! I've never really noticed the flicker at 30fps or now 24fps which is what I went to. This drone is pretty incredible tbo in such a short time! Camera is pretty darn good for a tiny little bitty thing too. Def has issues here and there. But I'm sure as many as possible will be addressed with a Phantom 5 most likely.

U really haven't noticed flickering problem? I had big flickering while shooting at fast shutter time, but I think that with some ND filters combined with slower shutter time it can be better, but I haven't bought nd filters already, so I haven't tried yet.
But, I have to say that pictures look really nice :) .

Last edited:
U really haven't noticed flickering problem? I had big flickering while shooting at fast shutter time, but I think that with some ND filters combined with slower shutter time it can be better, but I haven't bought nd filters already, so I haven't tried yet.
But, I have to say that pictures looks really nice :) .
I have had almost no bother with flicker. Now off of some bright lines on roofs ect might have a little bit of flicker there. But it's not that bad imo.

Last edited:
I think that I completely solved the flickering problem guys !
2 weeks ago I had a big flickering problem under the sun while shooting at 4k 25fps, with an high speed shutter (no nd filters), around 1/800 - 1/1000, and I was really disappointed, but today I've tried totally different settings.

Unfortunately, I feel so stupid because I haven't tried different roads one by one, so at the moment I can't identify which is the exact factor that has made the difference, in the case that just one thing is the point.
I haven't noticed flickering especially with 90° camera angle, especially with grass and trees (read that a lot of people have this problem) but also a little bit in 0° camera angle.

I shooted under the sun at 1pm/2.30pm (short shadows).
My settings were fully manual (M) :
- 4k at 50fps 3840x2160 (so 16:9 4k) h264
- F11 and F9
- shutter: 1/125 - 1/160 - 1/200
- sun preset white balance
- NO AE
- mechanical shutter DISABLED
- Cinelike color profile

I thought that is possible that the problem was caused by the MECHANICAL SHUTTER, but for sure next flights will come to check every parameter one by one.

Hey man, have u read about my last test? I have to try again at different day times, but I think that I've solved!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues