Phantom 4 pro or advanced

Good points. You'll see specials on P4A because they don't sell as well, for good reason. They use the same anemic GL300C controller the P4 uses, really poor range. With P4A you'll likely end up spending another $150 on a better directional antenna to improve range, which helps, but you still won't get the 4 mile range that P4P gets on 5.8ghz. You'll see vendors dump P4A craft occasionally with low pricing so they don't sit too long.

Does the P4A really use the exact same GL300C controller? If so, that would mean that you could also use the superior GL300A controller to get 3+ miles out of it, right?

Does the P4A really use the exact same GL300C controller? If so, that would mean that you could also use the superior GL300A controller to get 3+ miles out of it, right?
That may be true, but I've never known anyone to do that. It may be the same controller, but it could also have different firmware, potentially making it a different controller. I'm just not sure it will work, but an interesting alternative to consider.

So I have a question I am looking to buy a drone and I am looking at the phantom 4 pro or the advanced. First off, which would you guys prefer? Also I read something that the advanced does not support the 5.8 GHZ frequency and well I have no idea what that even means and are you okay without it and what does it really mean not having it! Thanks!
I have both P4P and P4Adv, you can almost find them for the same price. I listen to some YouTubers saying they’re the same drones except for the obstacle avoidance system not true. The P4Pro in the 5.8GHZ setting will fly that 5780 battery to its end without losing a single signal bar in a open area of 4.2 mile plus. The P4Adv being only 2.4 will struggle although I have gotten pretty close with the parabolically cups that go over the antennas things. Not saying you want to fly that far but you’ll get a better signal all around with the 4Pro. I fly all my drones that have that option in 5.8GHZ just seems to work better for me where I live.

The DJI price difference was originally only $100. The P4A price has since plumetted much faster than the P4P price. Lowest price on the P4P has been $1279 while the P4A has been as low as $869. Draw your own conclusions!

I have both P4P and P4Adv, you can almost find them for the same price. I listen to some YouTubers saying they’re the same drones except for the obstacle avoidance system not true. The P4Pro in the 5.8GHZ setting will fly that 5780 battery to its end without losing a single signal bar in a open area of 4.2 mile plus. The P4Adv being only 2.4 will struggle although I have gotten pretty close with the parabolically cups that go over the antennas things. Not saying you want to fly that far but you’ll get a better signal all around with the 4Pro. I fly all my drones that have that option in 5.8GHZ just seems to work better for me where I live.

The P4A radio range is enough to exceed the visual contact range, which is the legal limit. The P4A radio range is just as good as the P4 was. The significant difference between P4A and P4P is the extra obstacle avoidance, which may be especially important when using active track, say following a skier downhill and avoiding trees along the way. However it is also very useful if you are doing a video shot while flying sideways. I crashed my P4A when doing that and accidentally brushing against some tree foliage, causing the drone to automatically cut power and drop like a rock, but fortunately into some small stemmed bushes that broke the fall, so no significant damage done. The P4P would probably have prevented that crash. I have the Plus controller with built-in display, and get the poor channel quality warning if I leave the WiFi on in the device, even if there is no other WiFi around. So be sure to turn off your device's WiFi before flying.

The P4A radio range is enough to exceed the visual contact range, which is the legal limit. The P4A radio range is just as good as the P4 was. The significant difference between P4A and P4P is the extra obstacle avoidance, which may be especially important when using active track, say following a skier downhill and avoiding trees along the way. However it is also very useful if you are doing a video shot while flying sideways. I crashed my P4A when doing that and accidentally brushing against some tree foliage, causing the drone to automatically cut power and drop like a rock, but fortunately into some small stemmed bushes that broke the fall, so no significant damage done. The P4P would probably have prevented that crash. I have the Plus controller with built-in display, and get the poor channel quality warning if I leave the WiFi on in the device, even if there is no other WiFi around. So be sure to turn off your device's WiFi before flying.

You right, the P4A controller is the same as P4, which is dismal IMO. It cannot meet the advertised spec for range, but the P4P does when flying 5.8Ghz AUTO.

As for being legal, following a skier over other skiers is not good practice, illegal most places.

As for side sensors on the P4P, they do not work unless you're in beginner or tripod mode, which isn't very often for most people.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
In tripod or beginner mode with the P4P, which are the only two modes that the side sensors on the P4P are capable of working, it is doubtful you would be able follow any skier, except on the bunny slopes. ;)

Range aside completely, 5.8ghz is absolutely the star player in urban areas. And I really despise using 4mbps to keep a stable connection. I want a clear live feed. I always use 5.8ghz, 10mbps and have no issues up to 3/4 miles out in heavy urban areas. I like to use goggles with the P4P and I find that the resolution in my live feed changes with my app settings in the channel menu (4mbps-10mbps). So to me, the 5.8 is a sturdier connection in any situation I would personally encounter, and gives me more clarity in my goggles. As for range, I’ve taken it out 17000 feet on 5.8, ch7 and it was rock solid.

Range aside completely, 5.8ghz is absolutely the star player in urban areas. And I really despise using 4mbps to keep a stable connection. I want a clear live feed. I always use 5.8ghz, 10mbps and have no issues up to 3/4 miles out in heavy urban areas. I like to use goggles with the P4P and I find that the resolution in my live feed changes with my app settings in the channel menu (4mbps-10mbps). So to me, the 5.8 is a sturdier connection in any situation I would personally encounter, and gives me more clarity in my goggles. As for range, I’ve taken it out 17000 feet on 5.8, ch7 and it was rock solid.
+1! Even 5 miles away at 100 feet AGL on a good day with a $15 windsurfer, as long as you have clear LOS! :cool:

Reactions: DKG13CC

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl