Phantom 4 pro or advanced

Reaction score
So I have a question I am looking to buy a drone and I am looking at the phantom 4 pro or the advanced. First off, which would you guys prefer? Also I read something that the advanced does not support the 5.8 GHZ frequency and well I have no idea what that even means and are you okay without it and what does it really mean not having it! Thanks!

So I have a question I am looking to buy a drone and I am looking at the phantom 4 pro or the advanced. First off, which would you guys prefer? Also I read something that the advanced does not support the 5.8 GHZ frequency and well I have no idea what that even means and are you okay without it and what does it really mean not having it! Thanks!

For $300 more you get dual band transmitter that probably gives a little more consistent range and 5 side obstacle avoidance versus just front side avoidance. If you feel comfortable in your skills and don't need to fly 4+ miles you can spend the savings on an extra pair of batteries. The P4A is a good deal to me, and I have the P4P. Same camera in both units if that is your primary concern like me.
Good luck.

Reactions: zachharmon
The extra sensors are very nice, but I don't think that and the dual channel warrants the $300. That's two batteries, which means over an hour of flying. Now, if you plan on flying around obstacles, then it definitely makes sense.

The extra sensors are very nice, but I don't think that and the dual channel warrants the $300. That's two batteries, which means over an hour of flying. Now, if you plan on flying around obstacles, then it definitely makes sense.
Yeah for sure. I was looking on there website and I could get the advanced plus another battery and there dji care package thing for the same price as the pro

Reactions: RaeThrills
For $300 more you get dual band transmitter that probably gives a little more consistent range and 5 side obstacle avoidance versus just front side avoidance. If you feel comfortable in your skills and don't need to fly 4+ miles you can spend the savings on an extra pair of batteries. The P4A is a good deal to me, and I have the P4P. Same camera in both units if that is your primary concern like me.
Good luck.
Yeah for sure. I don't think I will fly 4 miles out. But my main concern is the camera and it is awesome to see that they have the same awesome camera.

Reactions: michaeljwest
The four sided sensors only work in beginner and tripod mode anyway. 2.4 is a stronger signal, but 5.8 is good in areas of heavy WiFi and the like. Advanced and batteries for me for sure.

The four sided sensors only work in beginner and tripod mode anyway. 2.4 is a stronger signal, but 5.8 is good in areas of heavy WiFi and the like. Advanced and batteries for me for sure.
Okay awesome. I really appreciate it. Thanks so much

I initially had bought the advanced. Then I converted them (I bought several) to P3P. I don't need the 4K mode, but why I did it was for the bit rate video transmission. The P3P camera does have a clearer bit rate. I did a video on this and if you look closely you should see the differences. I don't need obstacle avoidance so didn't need the P4 models.
Video on comparing P3A and P3P video feeds

I initially had bought the advanced. Then I converted them (I bought several) to P3P. I don't need the 4K mode, but why I did it was for the bit rate video transmission. The P3P camera does have a clearer bit rate. I did a video on this and if you look closely you should see the differences. I don't need obstacle avoidance so didn't need the P4 models.
Video on comparing P3A and P3P video feeds

Except this was a thread exclusively about the P4 Advanced and P4 Pro, not the P3 series...

Best Buy offers price match on P4P or P4A and have a promo running for extra 5% rewards until Feb. 28. With some exceptions, the P4P seems to be discounted more than the advanced model. So the price difference would not be that large.

Best Buy offers price match on P4P or P4A and have a promo running for extra 5% rewards until Feb. 28. With some exceptions, the P4P seems to be discounted more than the advanced model. So the price difference would not be that large.
Good to know!!

Is there a reason why march 22nd the priced will be dropped? is possibly a new drone coming out?
Mavic 2 Pro comes out and should rival the p4p feature wise (including picture quality) in a much smaller and cheaper package. This is based on rumors but regardless, I would personally wait and see if I had that option.

Even though this article says get the p4p, I would still get the p4a if camera quality is the main focus. I've had both because I crashed the p4p, and I could tell you that the p4a does everything I need it to do. If you have an iPhone/iOS device, you could also use this app hack to gain more channels using 2.4 ghz.

To keep it simple, the p4a was sufficient enough for me, even in the city.

I took advantage of some special pricing at B&H a month ago to pick up a new P4A for $869. I bought it for the camera but there are some limitation you need to be aware of that I didn't adequately research. The range of the P4A is markedly less than my Mavic Pro and it gets wireless interference warnings even when I am right next to it. I'm guessing that is because of not being dual band. Flying it out a distance of around 1500-2000 feet over water it frequently disconnects. No way does it have a 7 KM range in my opinion.

Secondly, the P4A operates on a different firmware from the P4P. Most notably, it doesn't offer any panoramic options. That is actually a big bummer for me. Image quality is better/different from the Mavic Pro but not sure it offers enough of an advantage. Also, the lens seems to have a soft corner. My Mavic Pro is consistent edge to edge.

Finally, the Phantoms are a lot nosier. These are not discreet drones even at 400 feet.

I took advantage of some special pricing at B&H a month ago to pick up a new P4A for $869. I bought it for the camera but there are some limitation you need to be aware of that I didn't adequately research. The range of the P4A is markedly less than my Mavic Pro and it gets wireless interference warnings even when I am right next to it. I'm guessing that is because of not being dual band. Flying it out a distance of around 1500-2000 feet over water it frequently disconnects. No way does it have a 7 KM range in my opinion.

Secondly, the P4A operates on a different firmware from the P4P. Most notably, it doesn't offer any panoramic options. That is actually a big bummer for me. Image quality is better/different from the Mavic Pro but not sure it offers enough of an advantage. Also, the lens seems to have a soft corner. My Mavic Pro is consistent edge to edge.

Finally, the Phantoms are a lot nosier. These are not discreet drones even at 400 feet.
Good points. You'll see specials on P4A because they don't sell as well, for good reason. They use the same anemic GL300C controller the P4 uses, really poor range. With P4A you'll likely end up spending another $150 on a better directional antenna to improve range, which helps, but you still won't get the 4 mile range that P4P gets on 5.8ghz. You'll see vendors dump P4A craft occasionally with low pricing so they don't sit too long.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues