Phantom 4 pro max Wind?

Reaction score
What is the SAFE wind speed that the Phantom will operate in? I know I saw it somewhere but can no longer find....

What is the SAFE wind speed that the Phantom will operate in? I know I saw it somewhere but can no longer find....
It's not that simple.
There's no single max windspeed speed that's safe and speeds above that are unsafe.

You have to consider the direction of the wind, the direction you want to fly (especially the flight back to home) and the distance.

We fly in some severe winds quite often , the drone flying in winds of 35 mph is acceptable but the Problem is not the drone its the Gimbal. 25 /30 Mph should be your cut off to protect the gimbal unless you are proficient at flying directly into the wind and back.

Here is an excellent example of the Phantom in Severe Winds and cold against the mavic 2 .

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For the begining I wouldn't fly in the wind over 35-40km/h (18-20 m/h).
You must be aware that the wind around you or a few m above you can be very different than that at 50 or 100m high.
A simple test - put the Phantom directly up and after each 20m move the drone into all 4 directions.
If there is no problem with that at maximum altitude you intend to fly then OK. And be aware that the wind can quickly change. It depends on the weather of course.

I would think that icing on the props might become a problem. ...or perhaps just adding weight by ice accumulation on the body.

Does that happen?

22.37 mph

IMG_1618418678.326483.jpg

22.37 mph is the speed.

22.37 mph is the maximum wind speed.

22.37 mph
I already explained that there's no magic safe/unsafe windspeed in post #2.

That number from DJI is misleading and is not the answer to the OP's question.
A flyer could get into trouble flying in 15 mph winds, if they fly off some distance downwind and have to push against a headwind to get home, even more so in 22 mph winds.
Or they could fly quite safely in 25+ mph winds if they didn't allow the drone to go far downwind.

DJI suggested that 22 mph is the max wind resistance ie the maximum wind that the drone can hover in without being blown off position, but that isn't even correct.
The drone has a top speed in P-GPS mode of 16 metres/sec, (35 mph) and can hold position hovering up to that level (but it would need a sheltered position to launch from).

The maximum safe windspeed for flying depends on how far and in what direction the drone is going to be flown.

I already explained that there's no magic safe/unsafe windspeed in post #2.

That number from DJI is misleading and is not the answer to the OP's question.
A flyer could easily get into trouble flying in 15 mph winds, if they fly off some distance downwind and have to push against a 22 mph headwind to get home.
Or they could fly quite safely in 25+ mph winds if they didn't allow the drone to go far downwind.

DJI suggested that 22 mph is the max wind resistance ie the maximum wind that the drone can hover in without being blown off position, but that isn't even correct.
The drone has a top speed in P-GPS mode of 16 metres/sec, (35 mph) and can hold position hovering up to that level (but it would need a sheltered position to launch from).

The maximum safe windspeed for flying depends on how far and in what direction the drone is going to be flown.

The OP made reference to a safe wind speed that he saw published somewhere. The aircraft manufacturer manual is where you would find this and where I would go to if flying an airplane.
I don’t know if the OP is part 107 or not, but if he is this is something he should know and where to find it as per FAA regulations.
Anyway I think he got good information from everyone.

At the end this 22mph is a theoretical cut off point but it is up to a pilot who decides shall it go up or no.

UAV forecast app good for showing different winds at different altitudes, shows just how strong they are up there

DJI Store has all the specs on each drone
Someone above tried to explain that the Max wind resistance that DJI shows in the specs, is not the maximum wind speed that the drone can safely fly in.
They also tried to explain that there's no simple safe/not safe wind speed and the issue is more complex than that.

Someone above tried to explain that the Max wind resistance that DJI shows in the specs, is not the maximum wind speed that the drone can safely fly in.
They also tried to explain that there's no simple safe/not safe wind speed and the issue is more complex than that.
Well the DJI Phantom 4 disclaimer document states that you should not fly a P4P in winds exceeding 22mph. So if you attempt to turn a drone in under your care refresh, DJI will look at your log files and determine the wind condition. If they determine they were greater than 22 mph, they may not honor the claim.

I can say though, I recently flew my P4P V2 in 25 MPH winds gusting to 45 MPH. It handle the wind but there were a few times I thought it was gonna get flipped. But I have hull ins. on all my drones, so I am a little more prone to take the risk on higher paying jobs as long as there is no risk to anyone getting hurt.

me-in-the-field-literally.jpg

Yeh bit of a gamble in strong wind,I know from some I've flown in when you have to hand launch and hand catch it's to windy to be safe
You know why they called specs,,cause they speculate lol and probably only a guide

Reactions: skymonkey
Well the DJI Phantom 4 disclaimer document states that you should not fly a P4P in winds exceeding 22mph.
You are correct ... they do say that.
In the same document that says to avoid flying over bodies of water.
DJI documentation has lots of other misinformation like:
  • recalibrate the compass before flying at a new location
  • discharge your batteries before flying on a passenger plane.
How you fly the drone is a lot more important that the wind speed.
Thinking windspeed without considering direction and how that affects your flight can be a big mistake.

If you can move forward into the wind, then you have control over your drone. In theory, this would be any wind speed less than 72 km/hr - the drone's top speed. But as earlier posts have stated, a safe wind-speed for flying is subjective. It'll depend on your experience and what you're trying to achieve.

In high winds, apart from the obvious risk of not being able to bring your drone back, the Phantom seems particularly vulnerable to tipping over on landing - just as the motors shut down. It doesn't even have to be that windy. If you don't have somewhere relatively sheltered to touch down, a catch-landing is advisable. Launching, I've found to be less problematic. You just need to be prepared for the drone to blow down-wind a metre or two before it's able to pitch down and stabilise.

You are correct ... they do say that.
In the same document that says to avoid flying over bodies of water.
DJI documentation has lots of other misinformation like:
  • recalibrate the compass before flying at a new location
  • discharge your batteries before flying on a passenger plane.
How you fly the drone is a lot more important that the wind speed.
Thinking windspeed without considering direction and how that affects your flight can be a big mistake.
Mayby one day they might get it right,,bad enough with my misinformation, sometimes,ok most times,
We lead to believe what's in these books

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic