Phantom 4 Pro for Land Surveying

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Many thanks for your advice always.

Please can anyone guide me on how to use P4pro for land surveys like perimeter survey and confirm surveyor's points. Considering the fact that no other app can be installed on the provided device.

Thanks in advance

Please can anyone guide me on how to use P4pro for land surveys like perimeter survey and confirm surveyor's points. Considering the fact that no other app can be installed on the provided device.
That sounds like you are referring to a P4 pro+. That's the model that doesn't allow 3rd party apps to be loaded.
But the P4 pro does and is a fine tool for survey and mapping missions using apps like DroneDeploy.

If you have bought a P4 pro+ (with the integrated screen), you can't load those apps.
What you can do is to buy a regular P4 pro controller and use that, since the aircraft are the same.
Just make sure you get a V2.0 controller if you have a V2.0 aircraft or the original P4 pro controller if you have the original version as they are not compatible.

Yes. I use GS Pro and Autopilot with my v2.0

Thank you for getting back to me. Right now I don't know which industries I am going to try to get involved with, but I have been talking with a couple of folks from a local engineering firm, and I want to find out more about what all services they provide as well as what facets of their business they could use my services as a drone operator (as soon as I finish my Part 107 licensing requirements). So I was wondering, in a general sense, if there might be a problem loading 3rd party apps.

Thank you again

Thank you for getting back to me. Right now I don't know which industries I am going to try to get involved with, but I have been talking with a couple of folks from a local engineering firm, and I want to find out more about what all services they provide as well as what facets of their business they could use my services as a drone operator (as soon as I finish my Part 107 licensing requirements). So I was wondering, in a general sense, if there might be a problem loading 3rd party apps.

Thank you again
I work on a Engineering firm. What I do mostly is project survey, to monitor progress. I use GS Pro for photometry and stitch the entire area into a big photo. I want to buy the P4 RTK for precise measurements and such, but my boss doesn't see the need for it.

I'm glad I saw your last post before I signed off. I was just getting ready to order a CrystalSky monitor. So, if I want to install a mapping app with the CS, what options do I have?

Not sure how to word this - I am really surprised at the number of non-compatibility issues identified using the various DJI P4 models and accessories, i.e. one model accepts this, another doesn't. Do other manufacturers' products offer the same variety of issues of non-compatibility?

I'm glad I saw your last post before I signed off. I was just getting ready to order a CrystalSky monitor. So, if I want to install a mapping app with the CS, what options do I have?

Not sure how to word this - I am really surprised at the number of non-compatibility issues identified using the various DJI P4 models and accessories, i.e. one model accepts this, another doesn't. Do other manufacturers' products offer the same variety of issues of non-compatibility?
From what I've seen, DJI doesn't want you playing with other companies and forces you to use their apps. To make your life simpler, if a DJI drone has a Plus (+) in it, it has the built in screen with limitations to DJI only apps. The Crystal Sky is a screen for those people who want a really bright screen like the + counterpart. Although if you use the right phone, you can get a bright screen and 3rd party apps.

Edit: Other manufacturers use your phone/tablet as a screen, just like DJI does, so you may not be limited to their apps. DJI has the biggest market share, so most apps are designed for DJI drones in mind.

From what I've seen, DJI doesn't want you playing with other companies and forces you to use their apps. To make your life simpler, if a DJI drone has a Plus (+) in it, it has the built in screen with limitations to DJI only apps. The Crystal Sky is a screen for those people who want a really bright screen like the + counterpart. Although if you use the right phone, you can get a bright screen and 3rd party apps.

Edit: Other manufacturers use your phone/tablet as a screen, just like DJI does, so you may not be limited to their apps. DJI has the biggest market share, so most apps are designed for DJI drones in mind.

That's what I am trying to figure out now - what to use as a monitor. I have a P4 Pro V2.0. I had planned to use a Samsung tablet, but read about steps needed to be taken to make it compatible with the DJI GoPro software. So I thought if I went with a DJI CS monitor I wouldn't have compatibility issues, plus, I would have a brighter screen. Now I find that even the CS will prevent me from loading some 3rd party apps.

Right now, I am not doing any work that would require any measuring/engineering/etc. apps., but it is good to know that I might have to go with another monitor if I have a need for such an app in the future.

So, that raises a question - does DJI have any engineering apps that can be used for surveying, measuring, etc.?

That's what I am trying to figure out now - what to use as a monitor. I have a P4 Pro V2.0. I had planned to use a Samsung tablet, but read about steps needed to be taken to make it compatible with the DJI GoPro software. So I thought if I went with a DJI CS monitor I wouldn't have compatibility issues, plus, I would have a brighter screen. Now I find that even the CS will prevent me from loading some 3rd party apps.

Right now, I am not doing any work that would require any measuring/engineering/etc. apps., but it is good to know that I might have to go with another monitor if I have a need for such an app in the future.
I find that a Google Pixel, Galaxy Note or any flagship phone of that size is as bright as the Crystal Sky. Have not tried GoPro, but everything elsr works great. I use an iPad Mini 4 to fly, which is half the brightness of the CS :sweatsmile:.

So, that raises a question - does DJI have any engineering apps that can be used for surveying, measuring, etc.?
Yes, Ground Station Pro, hence why I use an iPad.

Edit: I'm sorry, I awnsered without thinking. DJI does have a construction software to use with drones, but I'm currently driving so can't find it. Use the link below, it shows what it's possible with the RTK and can also be done with a normal P4P.

Phantom 4 RTK - Next Gen Mapping Solution - DJI

Last edited:
It's just that the screen on the + versions of the P4 pro and Crystalsky monitors are more or less the same thing.
They are good for what they are (super bright monitors) but DJI have designed them as a closed ecosystem.
So if you want to use a P4 pro for mapping, all you need is a good tablet and a mapping app.
If you are looking for an Android tablet, try the Huawei M3 or M5 for the best Android flying tablet available.
DroneDeploy is a great mapping app but there are others as well.

From what I've seen, DJI doesn't want you playing with other companies and forces you to use their apps.
Not at all.
DJI makes their SDK available to software developers to encourage the development of new aplications for DJI drones which makes them even more useful to more people.
There are lots of professional mapping apps available as an example.

Do other manufacturers' products offer the same variety of issues of non-compatibility?
Other manufacturers don't produce drones with half the professional ability of DJI products.
They are a few generations behind in technology.
I can only think of one that has an SDK (and that's only recently) but there are hardly any apps for it.

Not at all.
DJI makes their SDK available to software developers to encourage the development of new aplications for DJI drones which makes them even more useful to more people.
There are lots of professional mapping apps available as an example.
Although I know you are right, Why make the + and CS closed envirorments?

Last edited:
I find that a Google Pixel, Galaxy Note or any flagship phone of that size is as bright as the Crystal Sky. Have not tried GoPro, but everything elsr works great. I use an iPad Mini 4 to fly, which is half the brightness of the CS :sweatsmile:.

Thank you for that information. I have had good luck with Galaxy's in the past, so I will keep them in mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31