Phantom 4 Pro for Land Surveying

Other manufacturers don't produce drones with half the professional ability of DJI products.
They are a few generations behind in technology.
I can only think of one that has an SDK (and that's only recently) but there are hardly any apps for it.

As I researched various makes of drones, my main criteria included picture resolution along with obstacle avoidance, and the P4 Pro V2 was advertised as having those, as well as numerous other features that I had not thought of. As of right now, I am not providing any services that require any kind of measuring/engineering aspects. But it is nice to hear about what DJI has to offer.

Hello Everyone,

Many thanks for your advice always.

Please can anyone guide me on how to use P4pro for land surveys like perimeter survey and confirm surveyor's points. Considering the fact that no other app can be installed on the provided device.

Thanks in advance
Good Day everyone,
I have the P4 Pro+ with the integrated screen.
What survey software can I install??
I have tried the Drone Deploy app, but like you said it is not compatible

Will Dji be able to tell me what survey App, I can download on my P4 Pro+?
If yes can somebody help me with the contact details of Dji?

You cannot install any 3rd party software on the + controller.
This has been explained several times in this thread.
Thank you, Excuse my Ignorance, I am new in the Drone game. I cannot understand that one buy a Drone, and then, you can not do surveys with it.
Are there any other survey Software apart from 3rd party software which I can install.
I had the P4 Pro and I had the Drone Deploy App on my Cell phone, which I've used to survey.
Can I use my P4Pro controller on my P4Pro+ Drone?
I really appreciate your response, and I apologize, if I take up your time.
Thank you in anticipation.
Take care and enjoy your day.
Sincere regards,

Thank you, Excuse my Ignorance, I am new in the Drone game. I cannot understand that one buy a Drone, and then, you can not do surveys with it.
Are there any other survey Software apart from 3rd party software which I can install.
I had the P4 Pro and I had the Drone Deploy App on my Cell phone, which I've used to survey.
I really appreciate your response, and I apologize, if I take up your time.
Thank you in anticipation.
Take care and enjoy your day.
Sincere regards,
Hello,
Litchi can run on the Pro+, I use mine for 360 and waypoint misions.
My post here :

You can’t produce a survey or a very useful map with a drone, or the software that runs on it, or the software that is used to plan and fly its missions. Responses here seem to be discussing all three components of the system(s) used to produce a deliverable.

Drones collect data (typically photos) that can be used by post-processing software/services, using automated photogrammetric techniques, to produce orthographic photos, point clouds, topographic “lines,” etc. Drones can also carry LIDAR instruments that can collect a point cloud directly. In any case, this data is not typically very useful until a “mapmaker” manually adds or draws curb lines, sidewalks, buildings, roads, streams, drainage channels, property lines (based on a boundary survey performed by a licensed surveyor), and other data and features that post processing software can’t recognize. This information is also important to the map user.

In most states, drone pilots can’t do “surveys,” especially boundary surveys. They can only collect aerial data that can be use to facilitate a survey when done under the direct supervision of a licensed engineer or surveyor.

In most states, licensed engineers are limited to producing “engineering surveys” (however that is defined by the state) for engineering studies and designs and only licensed surveyors can do boundary surveys to establish property lines.

Boundary surveys typically require deed research and the field location or reestablishment of boundary stakes or markers, which frequently requires professional opinions and interpretation of the available data. Drone-collected data doesnt do this.

If you show what you think are the approximate locations of property lines on a drawing that aren’t base on a boundary survey, you better show appropriate weasel words on the drawing too, or you may be prosecuted for practicing surveying without a license.

RTK GPS technology can improve aerial survey post processing speed and accuracy, but you need ground control points (GCPs) to correct distortions in the data due to limitations in the aerial data collection tools and process. GCPs are typically manually placed and surveyed targets on the ground that show up in the aerial photos. You define the coordinates of the GCPs in the post processing software which uses this additional info to reduce the error in the data set caused be optical distortion and drone/camera position errors.

To get good aerial data for a photogrammetric survey, you need the following:

A good camera (the higher the resolution the better with 12-MP being the minimum),
GCPs,
Low altitude,
A steady drone, and
Good lighting.

You don’t necessarily need RTK GPS. Depending on the end user’s needs, you may still get useful data if you skimp on some of the things listed above.

People have been asking about running mapping software on the + model ever since it was released in 2015.
It still won't run any mapping software.
Your drone is fine for mapping .. it's the controller that's the problem.
You can use a regular controller with it.
But one thing to watch out for ...
The original P4 pro only works with an original P4 pro controller.
And a P4 pro V2 will only work with a P4 pro 2 controller.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20