Phantom 4 Pro+ Dropped Out Of Sky

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I recently had an issue where my Phantom 4 Pro+ seemed to just completely power off and drop to the ground mid flight. I converted my logs and there was no errors at all, just showed flying at 45km/h at 100m then nothing, even the video just stopped (after I recovered the clip that didn’t close properly) I returned it to my retailer who sent it back to DJI. DJI apparently advised they discovered some issue or error but never told me what it was. Since I have the warranty repaired drone back it is now coming up with “battery signal error” & “battery error” on the screen. Seems to still fly ok, should I be concearned about these errors?

Attachments

• E22D38D2-0C9D-4A4E-ACB3-7B03C40530CF.jpeg
    E22D38D2-0C9D-4A4E-ACB3-7B03C40530CF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 411
Word to the wise, while you are tinkering with a solution, be sure your return home altitude is set very low in the case your controller loses signal...maybe try updating all the firmware and resetting the equipment.

Sorry to jump in but never set your RTH lower than anything that might be in the way of it coming back home if you lose signal . I think you might have worded that wrong .

Reactions: Jim Canada
Personally, I would be concerned about any error relating to the powerplant (battery). Do you have another battery you could try to see if you still get the error?

Personally, I would be concerned about any error relating to the powerplant (battery). Do you have another battery you could try to see if you still get the error?
Yeah I have 2 batteries, my first flight back after repair was using the battery that I actually crashed the drone with so I did suspect the battery but on my second flight my other battery started bringing up the same error message after it got down to 30% I’ve never seen the error before in probably 50+ flights so I’m assuming it’s related to the repair or possibly damage done when the drone crashed.

Reactions: Nmbr1stunna80
Firmware mismatch?
Well it’s showing the latest on controller & drone but I might just factory default everything anyway just to try that. I tried calling DJI to find out what the original issue was & advise of the battery errors but they just advised to do a controller initiated battery discharge & recharge. Find it very hard to believe that will make any difference considering it’s both batteries. I’m very lucky it crashed where I could recover it as I do a lot of flying over water & if that same glitch happens again over water then I guess I’m saying goodbye to the drone & any warranty.

Go buy a lottery ticket, Trev23. Yeah, it does seem more to be on the aircraft side than the battery side if bother batteries are throwing the error. Not a bad idea to do a factory reset on the aircraft and see if that makes a difference.

What displays when you look at the telemetry for the individual battery cells?
It did show a variation on one cell but it was showing within the green range which I’m assuming is nothing to worry about as there was still a yellow & red range it could have gone into.

Trev, did you receive the same serial number aircraft back or did you get a different drone? Probably doesn't make too much difference as it sounds like it should go back for further repair.

Check out reply 86 in this thread:
Is the Phantom dead?

He had the same error message as you and it seems that the firmware had screwed up the battery.
I didn’t check the serial number to see if it was the same drone. I read that other thread, it’s very strange that firmware could brick your batteries. I’m just wondering whether this message doesn’t really mean much at all as I am still getting the same functionality & performance from my drone?

For those of you in this forum: The battery disconnecting is a BIG ISSUE with P4P's in general as over 50 people on this forum alone have reported it. Glad to see there may be a product with a dual purpose that prevents it. We will purchase one and test. Right now we have a lawsuit against DJI as this is a KNOWN ID'd defect in design.They are NOT covering it even if you are 1 day outr of warranty and will not even look at the data if you send it to them. This is arrogance rather than supporting their customer base who put them on the map, DJI refused to repair this defect in design even though the product we had was less than 2 weeks out of the 12 mo. warranty period. V2 of the P4P has a NEW BATTERY SENSOR that will warn and prevent the Phantoms from falling out of the sky scenarios which clearly means they recognize the problem but again are not supporting us. Remember the GoPro drone had the same issue and all were recalled and refunds issued. If you want to join the long list of those who have had this problem send your eMail/contact info to me at [email protected]. Attached is a picture of the new Battery sensor on the P4P V2's.

Please do not respond to criticize here, I am an FAA IFR rated Fixed wing Pilot and Part 333 /107 drone pilot. I have been flying DJI products for over 7 years with over 3500 flights. Their blatant refusal to acknowledge and WARN all of us regarding this issue is not the way to treat their loyal customer base and is very dis-heartening for me to have to take legal action against them.View attachment 100654

One note.

There is no difference in how the battery latches between a P4 Pro and a P4 Pro version 2. Mounts and latches are the same.

There is a small sensor on the vr2.0 that has to be fully depressed for the drone to start up. This has nothing to do with how the physical battery latches into the drone. The actual clips are the same between both drones. Batteries are interchangeable.

If a battery can come loose in flight with a P4 Pro it still can with a Vr2.

All the sensor is doing is making sure folks are taking the time to fully seat the battery and engaging both top and bottom latches.

Paul C

This is arrogance rather than supporting their customer base who put them on the map, DJI refused to repair this defect in design even though the product we had was less than 2 weeks out of the 12 mo. warranty period. V2 of the P4P has a NEW BATTERY SENSOR that will warn and prevent the Phantoms from falling out of the sky scenarios which clearly means they recognize the problem but again are not supporting us. .

Please do not respond to criticize here ....Their blatant refusal to acknowledge and WARN all of us regarding this issue is not the way to treat their loyal customer base and is very dis-heartening for me to have to take legal action against them.
Please don't respond to you or criticize your mass spam posting here??
How arrogant is that after you were warned last time?
People offer legitimate comments suggesting a gaping hole in your accusation but you don't want to reply.
How arrogant is that?

A lot of folks here seem to think that being a fixed wing and or rotary wing pilot makes you a drone guru. I am both but that has nothing to do with drones.
Make a check list and use it every time (just like your other flying). Make step one to firmly attach the battery, and make the last step to confirm the battery is properly installed. There will be a lot fewer batteries falling out IMO.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures