Phantom 4 Pro beware of power lines

Reaction score
I’ve been flying phantoms since the beginning and have owned 15-20 Phantoms over the years. When the 4 Pro V2 came out, the occusync was a dream come true. I’ve had several v2’s fall out of the sky and DJI couldn’t explain why. After looking back at the crash scenes there was one common denominator. A high powered power line. While driving around in the city, I can have my a.m. radio on and hardly ever hear that buzzing sound when driving under a power line(lower power lines) When I’m out in more rural areas, sometimes I drive near power lines and The. A.m. Radio buzzes like bees. Stay clear of these higher power, power lines, they will zap a P4Pv2.

WOW! That’s a lot of Phantoms. You should be a Pro yourself. Sorry for your losses but thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Royr1957
I’ve been flying phantoms since the beginning and have owned 15-20 Phantoms over the years. When the 4 Pro V2 came out, the occusync was a dream come true. I’ve had several v2’s fall out of the sky and DJI couldn’t explain why. After looking back at the crash scenes there was one common denominator. A high powered power line. While driving around in the city, I can have my a.m. radio on and hardly ever hear that buzzing sound when driving under a power line(lower power lines) When I’m out in more rural areas, sometimes I drive near power lines and The. A.m. Radio buzzes like bees. Stay clear of these higher power, power lines, they will zap a P4Pv2.
15-20 Phantoms? You may want to consider a new hobby. Ouch!

• Haha
Reactions: Capt KO
Am radios ( Amplitude modulated) pick up static. Basically that is why we have FM (Frequency modulated). It doesn't pick up static like AM. There is a lot of static if you live near the ocean because of salt. The frequency of the receiver makes a difference. Our drones aren't on the frequency of AM radios.
The only times power lines bother me is when I hit them. Fortunately I only bobbed off one. Lol

I’ve currently have 5 working Phantoms in my fleet and had a few more that were lost for various reasons mainly due to main boards and onboard components going out due to other popular DJI issues(95% of which DJI acknowledged and sent replacements). I’ve only owned that number because I have a drone company in Houston. No plans to get another hobby anytime soon. I love my job! ?

I frequently fly my v2 over 270 kv transmission lines with no problem. I doubt the spread spectrum receivers in the Phantoms are susceptible to power line interference. I also have a wireless internet business I run from my 100 foot ham radio tower that has 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz transmitters. I can fly my Phantom up in front of these directional antennas for inspection and see no interference. Hope you figure out the problem!
Thanks for posting
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: Rick218
I some times fly my P4P about 30m (100 feet ) and even closer from power
DJI_0001_1.jpg2.jpg
lines without any problems !!?

Last edited:
The frequency of the receiver makes a difference. Our drones aren't on the frequency of AM radios. ...

True, however, arcs and static electricity sparks are electromagnetic bursts that release energy across the whole radio spectrum. If he says the wires are "buzzing like bees" in certain areas he might be on to something. I'm sure the DJI controller communication protocols contain all sorts of error correction, but it's conceivable that pilot control could be compromised. Also, the magnetic compass could be susceptible to sustained electromagnetic interference, and that definitely could be the cause of a crash.

Without seeing the recorded flight for any of the incidents referred to above, it would be premature to guess what caused them.
But it's highly unlikely that it had anything to do with the powerlines.
Drones are commonly used for powerline inspection these days and that involves flying much closer than recreational flyers are likely to go.
I'm sure the DJI controller communication protocols contain all sorts of error correction, but it's conceivable that pilot control could be compromised.
At worst, signal interference is only going to swamp the signal which would initiate RTH .. not crash the drone.
Also, the magnetic compass could be susceptible to sustained electromagnetic interference, and that definitely could be the cause of a crash.
You would have to be very close before the compass would even notice and even then it's still not going cause a drone to fall from the sky.

Reactions: DroneB
You would have to be very close before the compass would even notice and even then it's still not going cause a drone to fall from the sky.
I was thinking of sustained interference from the lines "buzzing like bees", not so much the magnetic field surrounding the wires themselves. And quite true, loss of control would initiate RTH.

The last time it happened I was about 50 feet over a line, got and compass error and immediately before I could climb or even move the drone in any direction, it fell straight down, not shoot off into the wild blue sky (flyaway) due to a CE. I’m only pointing out a common denominator that existed near the point of most all my V2 crashes. This was the only time after an all sensors NORMAL takeoff and short flight that I received an error prior. My older P4Ps have never had this happen to them.

I was flying my P4P Obsidian shortly after I first bought it in my back yard, I flew it over a transformer and almost immediately lost control of it as it flew away from the transformer I could regain control of it, as soon as it got near the transformer I would loose control, I finally got it far enough away from the transformer and was able to fly it back to me. I am very aware of high voltage from that point on!

I frequently drive my car past some power lines and you can hear (and I swear sometimes feel) them buzzing....

Not to tempt fate but I’ve had my small real estate photography business going on 2 years and I’m on the same phantom 4 pro +. I have a spark as well for inside video and I’m on the original as well (and osmo pocket).

That said, I do lose video feed often when I’m too close to cell towers... never has an issue with power lines. Lucky the rc never goes out and I can still fly, I just lose the go 4 app and can’t control camera.

Last edited:
Today I had my first mishap with my Phantom 4PRo. I was flying it fpv and hit a powerline. It jerked a little and it kept on flying. I finished my flight and when I landed the landing gear had hit the line and knocked off a couple of pieces and broke one of the legs. some of the wiring looks like it's disconnected but I can't tell. I am adding the pictures so if anyone have any suggestions on how to fix please advise. I may be able to replace the landing gear or glue it and patch it up????????
20200517_142806.jpg

The antennas are in the legs. If the wire seems OK and unharmed, you may be able to patch it up. I would not use the JB Weld that has metal particles in it. The lighter, the better, as long as it has the same strength as original plastic. Be very careful with the antennas. I would recommend doing a controlled range check since the accident (have a buddy walk away with your aircraft while you observe the video feed on your monitor and make sure that your distance hasn't been diminished since the accident).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic