Phantom 4 or Pro - is it worth it and when will price drop?

Reaction score
Im a hobbyist Photographer and looking at starting up a part time business taking aerial photos and video in my local area mainly of houses, estates for people, this will be a side project on weekends from my full time job.

Ive flown the P3 Standard a number of times before through a friend and was thinking of the P4 Standard or Pro. Im leaning towards P4 as I see many aerial companies use this and also the price (£1200 with 3 spare batteries n backpack) where as the P4P is £1500 without spare batteries which i'd defiantly need.

Id like the drone image quality to be good for a few years and not fall too far behind. Do the drone prices drastically change, like if I wait 3-4 months will the P4P be a similar price to the P4 now? (My friend got the P3 a few years back for over £1000 and its £450 now :eek:)

Any advise appreciated

Do the drone prices drastically change, like if I wait 3-4 months will the P4P be a similar price to the P4 now? (My friend got the P3 a few years back for over £1000 and its £450 now :eek:)
DJI are the leaders in ready-to-fly drones and the P4 pro is the leader in it's class.
Because demand is strong and competition is weak, DJI typically hold prices until around the time they have a replacement model so I wouldn't be expecting any drop in the price of the P4p for quite a while yet.

Ahh right thanks for the responses I didn't think they would just thought I'd check first.

Do either of you think theres a big jump in quality for the photos in the P4P to warrant an extra £400?

I believe the P4P has a 20mp camera for stills vs 12mp with the P4. For photos I think the p4p is a big leap. Someone will correct me if I am mistaken.

Ahh right thanks for the responses I didn't think they would just thought I'd check first.

Do either of you think theres a big jump in quality for the photos in the P4P to warrant an extra £400?
I believe the P4P has a 20mp camera for stills vs 12mp with the P4. For photos I think the p4p is a big leap. Someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
The improvement is a lot more than twice the number of pixels.
The sensor is 4 x bigger that the P3 series.
i-xBHHp2n-M.jpg

The camera has 12 stops of dynamic range so it can record shadow detail and highlights.
The camera now has a real aperture.
These features are important for serious photographers and mean that the P4pro has a serious point and shoot camera like the Sony RX100 rather than just a mobile phone camera and photographers are very excited about it.

If you aren't a serious photographer, you can still get good results with the earlier model but the P4 pro opens up a lot of possibilities that were previously impossible.
Read this thread to pick up what the buzz is about:
Post Your Still Images Taken With the P4P!

If you believe you have a genuine business opportunity holding out for a price drop on your most crucial equipment is seemingly nonsensical.

Reactions: Meta4
Thanks for the responses everyone. Thinking I may go with the P4P just it will save having to do an upgrade within a few years (hopefully).

If you believe you have a genuine business opportunity holding out for a price drop on your most crucial equipment is seemingly nonsensical.

Yeah i know what your saying, but I don't yet have CAA Approval and understand I have to do the course and then get approval which in all can take 3-4 months i've heard so didnt know if too wait. Decided P4P now makes sense as get chnace to use it and build up portfolio

Yes, hands down. The Pro gives you 12 stops of dynamic range (compared to the 5 of the P4), allows you to adjust the fstop (P4 is fixed 2.8), has less of a "fish eye" effect as its a 24mm equivalent (vs 20mm on the P4), and can record in H265 and also records at 100Mbps giving you true 4k throughput.

I'm a hobbyist, and I upgraded from a P4 to a P4P, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. And that's just the camera, I hadn't yet even mentioned things like side and rear obstacle sensing, max speed increased to 30mph in P mode with osbstacle avoidance, 4 mile range, etc.

Yes, hands down. The Pro gives you 12 stops of dynamic range (compared to the 5 of the P4), allows you to adjust the fstop (P4 is fixed 2.8), has less of a "fish eye" effect as its a 24mm equivalent (vs 20mm on the P4), and can record in H265 and also records at 100Mbps giving you true 4k throughput.

I'm a hobbyist, and I upgraded from a P4 to a P4P, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. And that's just the camera, I hadn't yet even mentioned things like side and rear obstacle sensing, max speed increased to 30mph in P mode with osbstacle avoidance, 4 mile range, etc.

Excellent - i went with the P4P in the end after reading numerous reviews on the camera and how its a big upgrade from the P4 as my main use for the drone is photography. Had it not been i would have stuck with the P4 as the features arent much different and not worth the extra cost but the camera is!

Heard people say the cameras as good as a high end point and shoot camera is this right?

Excellent - i went with the P4P in the end after reading numerous reviews on the camera and how its a big upgrade from the P4 as my main use for the drone is photography. Had it not been i would have stuck with the P4 as the features arent much different and not worth the extra cost but the camera is!

Heard people say the cameras as good as a high end point and shoot camera is this right?
It has the same sensor as the RX100. It's extremely close to a flying DSLR.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4