Phantom 4 or Phantom 3 Pro

So if I buy a Phantom 4, where should I buy it, Amazon, or DJI Store?
Do you have a Best Buy? Wish I had bought mine there because it would not have cost me $80 to ship it back (Amazon).

NoCo Drones

If your budget is sincerely $2k, you would be foolish not to buy an Inspire 1 v.2. I own and fly all three. There is truly NO comparison.
I disagree, I flew an Inspire, It's just bigger but overall the same flying experience. Now for sure there is a difference in setup time (But when you fly a S900 you find the Inspire setup time very short! :) ) The inspire is a standard in <7Kg pro drone, a bit more sturdy, but less recreational than the P4.(not because of its capabilities but when considering the amount of cash you have up there...) Picture quality difference? Not sure really. (unless you install a X5 R lol), gimbal stability? Same.
I would go for a P4 . I find it a bit slow though if you want to take advantage of its avoidance capabilities

Last edited:
I recommend P3P to my friends. I own the P4 and P3P and I've noticed the range and flight behavior is better with the P3P. If you do an antenna mod to the P4 RC you can get similar range as P3P, or do like I did and use an Inspire RC with the P4. There's no firmware fix for the range issue with the P4 RC, it takes a hardware fix.
I rarely use OA in the P4, and the sport mode of P4 eats up the battery charge if you go fast. So the primary added features of the P4 really aren't that important to me. OA slows down the craft to about 15mph, even though they claim 22mph top speed.
I think the value of P3P is the best IMO. Waiting for P5 may be a good plan after learning the ropes with P3P.
The P4 is a very nice mechanical design, but all the issues sour my feelings for it. It's been disappointing.

Last edited:
I recommend P3P to Mr friends. I own the p4 and P3P and the range and flight behavior is better with the P3P. If you do an antenna mod to the P4 RC you can get similar distance performance as P3P, or do like I did and use an Inspire RC with the P4. There's no firmware fix for the range issue in the P4 RC, it takes a hardware fix.
I rarely use OA in the P4, and the sport mode of P4 eats up the battery charge if you go fast. So the primary added features of the P4 really aren't that important to me. OA slows down the craft to about 15mph, even though they claim 22mph top speed.
I think the value of P3P is the best IMO. Waiting for P5 may be a good plan after learning the ropes with P3P.
The P4 is a very nice mechanical design, but all the issues sour my feelings for it. It's been disappointing.
I have a P4 and not having any issues. Last firmware update was good for me, fixed the losing altitude when going from forward flight into a hover. Flying perfect right now. Rock solid in the air, flies great. I like how you can quickly adjust the gimbal leveling on the fly. I own a P3P and love it also but the P4 is awesome. Only downfall is the shorter range but it depends where you are. Upstate NY the P4 goes as far as P3P. In the city where there's interference, I get half the range. Was going to sell the P3P but I decided to keep both! :D

Thanks for the all the good info. I love hearing from you guys with both drones. I'm curious why the P4 range is shorter when the advertised distance is the same. For you guys with both, what about the gimbals? I mean are they similar. I like the P4 because you can't see the props in the shot as bad but I like the P3 because you can remove and replace the gimbal yourself if you need to which in my experience is what gets damaged more often than anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

1- Are the bad reviews and accusations founded in truth?.
The Phantom series is the best most reliable system you can get. The 4 is the best bang for the buck today and it isn't even close. Not even a fanboy here just the facts. You can go further than anything on the market. You can get there faster. With collision avoidance and and.... if it's beyond controller range...BOOM! You can program an autonomous flight in your living room then send your bird out to capture the video/pictures and come back. Can't be done on any other system. There is a lot of DJI hate

2- Is the Phantom 3 Pro as good as the 4 in video quality and live streaming? I know the 3 has the Sony camera and both have Lightbridge.
They are really similar. They use the same sensor. The camera has been tweaked on the P4 and the video is marginally better. Check youtube for some camparisons.

3- How is DJI customer support really?
Depends who you ask. I would say the customer support has increased substantially over the past six months. I sent my bird in and they turned it around in 7 days shipping paid for by them even though the AC was not in warranty. They even replaced a bad motor for no charge.

4- If it was you would you buy the 4, the 3 pro, or wait?
I would buy a 4. The price now is 1100 that is a steal for the best AC in it's price range. One huge advantage for the DJI's is the availability of 3rd party software. That allows the DJI to do things that the others just can't do... Autonomous flights being huge...

I'm curious why the P4 range is shorter when the advertised distance is the same.

I like the P4 because you can't see the props in the shot as bad

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

The P4 RC is the weakest signal lightbridge transmitter DJI has manufactured, this has been confirmed.

The props in the P4 show in the view just as much as P3P, especially in sport mode, it's a big problem, which is another reason I rarely fly sport mode

Don't get me wrong, I like my P4, but DJI has the ability to make it so much better, and they didn't.... range-wise.

Last edited:
when it came time for me to make my purchase, P4...seen my buddies P3P and with a few more features on the P4 it was worth it to me ....now there even $200 cheaper than 1 month ago when i bought...

I have owned a PV2+ for two years and purchased the P4 2 weeks ago, and have flown it since. I think biggest upgrade is range and speed, Huge leaps, from both P3P and my older drone, I highly suggest, as far as buying, I purchased P4 with2 batt and filters for 1500 on amazon, great deal, free shipping too!

I have a P4 and not having any issues.

Only downfall is the shorter range but it depends where you are.

In the city where there's interference, I get half the range. Was going to sell the P3P but I decided to keep both! :D

Range IS the primary issue, due to the weak P4 RC. For me, this occurs everywhere, even over water. It just doesn't perform like the P3P when using the stock P4 RC

I know why you kept your P3, same reason I did. It's a solid drone that flies farther than most others that takes great video and photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freedom4
Most pilots prefer the Itelite antenna from max flight. It's a directional antenna that requires an installation of internal cables and connectors. I recommend getting the clean install kit also.

Do you know if this install voids the warranty? I know drone-worlds doesn't but you have to pay double what the ltelite is and you have to send your controller to them and wait.

Do you know if this install voids the warranty? I know drone-worlds doesn't
Are you sure? You might want to run that by DJI to double-check.

Are you sure? You might want to run that by DJI to double-check.
upload_2016-8-7_23-59-6.png

.Phantom 3 Long Range Extender System Upgrade

Says it on their page anyways.

Last edited:
Most pilots prefer the Itelite antenna from max flight. It's a directional antenna that requires an installation of internal cables and connectors. I recommend getting the clean install kit also.

Do you have a link for the supplier?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20