Phantom 4 or Phantom 3 Pro

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and I don't own a Phantom yet. I need all your expert opinions and experience to help make my decision. I am wanting to purchase the Phantom 4 but I've been kinda put off by all the bad reviews on Amazon.com. I've been around the block a time or two and know to take most reviews at face value and that some people are even paid to slander so competitors can gain an advantage. But, so many bad reviews with different problems and all the complaints about customer service have me worried and looking at the Phantom 3 Professional as the alternative. As owners of the Phantom 4 what are your suggestions.
1- Are the bad reviews and accusations founded in truth?
2- Is the Phantom 3 Pro as good as the 4 in video quality and live streaming? I know the 3 has the Sony camera and both have Lightbridge.
3- How is DJI customer support really?
4- If it was you would you buy the 4, the 3 pro, or wait?

A little about me. I am an experienced RC airplane, helicopter, and drone pilot. I have had many different drones from micros to DJI knockoffs and have even built my own and now I want to step up to a more professional aircraft for recreational cinematography and photography.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi all. I'm new to the forum and I don't own a Phantom yet. I need all your expert opinions and experience to help make my decision. I am wanting to purchase the Phantom 4 but I've been kinda put off by all the bad reviews on Amazon.com. I've been around the block a time or two and know to take most reviews at face value and that some people are even paid to slander so competitors can gain an advantage. But, so many bad reviews with different problems and all the complaints about customer service have me worried and looking at the Phantom 3 Professional as the alternative. As owners of the Phantom 4 what are your suggestions.
2- Is the Phantom 3 Pro as good as the 4 in video quality and live streaming? I know the 3 has the Sony camera and both have Lightbridge.

A little about me. I am an experienced RC airplane, helicopter, and drone pilot. I have had many different drones from micros to DJI knockoffs and have even built my own and now I want to step up to a more professional aircraft for recreational cinematography and photography.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I would buy autel x star premium

I have had a P3P since January and the only issues I have had with it were my own stupid fault. In video I believe the P3P and the P4 both do 4k, not sure if there is a difference in frame rate or not. I believe the P4 have a higher megapixel value for still shots. The P3P is 12 Mp. The price on the P4 just dropped (do I hear a P5 on the horizon?) so it might be a good time to buy.

LOL, I was thinking the same exact thing while reading Mr Cynot post.
plus with free battery right now much better deal

The reviews seem to be pretty spot on. The general consensus seems to be that people like the Phantom 4. I did notice some of the reviews are from people who did not purchase their Phantom 4 on Amazon. I usually disregard those when looking at reviews on Amazon.

2- Is the Phantom 3 Pro as good as the 4 in video quality and live streaming?
Yes.

A lot of people have great interactions with DJI support. And, others have not so stellar experiences. In general though, I'd say their support has improved a lot over the past year.

The Phantom 4 is on sale for $200 off right now, so it's a great time to buy it. I'm assuming we'll see similar discounts around Christmas time. As for which to buy, get whatever fits your budget. I would personally buy the Phantom 4 if budget was not a factor. The build quality is better and it comes packed with more features.

The Phantom 4 is on sale for $200 off right now, so it's a great time to buy it. I'm assuming we'll see similar discounts around Christmas time. As for which to buy, get whatever fits your budget. I would personally buy the Phantom 4 if budget was not a factor. The build quality is better and it comes packed with more features.

I'm willing to spend up to 2k so the 4 and some of the package deals on amazon are not a problem. I love the features of the 4 but I just don't want to by a $1,500.00 headache. I know how sometimes new product releases are rushed and the bugs are worked out later. I was just hoping to get the 4 at a time when most of the bugs have been removed.

I'm willing to spend up to 2k so the 4 and some of the package deals on amazon are not a problem. I love the features of the 4 but I just don't want to by a $1,500.00 headache. I know how sometimes new product releases are rushed and the bugs are worked out later. I was just hoping to get the 4 at a time when most of the bugs have been removed.

If your budget is sincerely $2k, you would be foolish not to buy an Inspire 1 v.2. I own and fly all three. There is truly NO comparison.

I was just hoping to get the 4 at a time when most of the bugs have been removed.
The first P4s were shipped in March. DJI has been working to improve it since then. It's in a pretty bug-free state right now.

you would be foolish not to buy an Inspire 1 v.2. I own and fly all three. There IS no comparison.
I also own all three. The Inspire 1 is clearly in a different ballpark. There are some major drawbacks to owning/using it. It's not the best choice for everyone simply for the fact that it fits within the budget.

Reactions: John Locke
I also own all three. The Inspire 1 is clearly in a different ballpark. There are some major drawbacks to owning/using it. It's not the best choice for everyone simply for the fact that it fits within the budget.

I agree msinger. I had looked at the Inspire and love the aircraft but it is too large for me to backpack into some of the places I go.

Reactions: John Locke

Other than possibly portability, I'd love to hear your thought process. I'm not even sure I Agree with the poster above on portability, but I am willing to concede that one if need be.

Other than possibly portability, I'd love to hear your thought process.
Sure -- here's goes:
  • It's larger/heavier.
  • It requires a larger case to store it.
  • The accessories are more expensive.
  • It takes longer to set it up.
  • The battery does not last as long.
  • It's more expensive to fix when you crash.
  • It's harder or impossible to repair yourself.
  • It's harder to get help when needed since there aren't as many Inspire 1 pilots.
With that said, I will say I love my Inspire 1. It's certainly not a Phantom replacement though.

Sure -- here's goes:
  • It's larger/heavier.
  • It requires a larger case to store it.
  • The accessories are more expensive.
  • It takes longer to set it up.
  • The battery does not last as long.
  • It's more expensive to fix when you crash.
  • It's harder or impossible to repair yourself.
  • It's harder to get help when needed since there aren't as many Inspire 1 pilots.
With that said, I will say I love my Inspire 1. It's certainly not a Phantom replacement though.

My thoughts exactly. 6+ pounds for the craft itself with one battery versus 3lbs for the Phantom and like you said the accessories I would have to pack in as well. Some of the places I usually go to I go alone with a full 35 to 40lb pack and I can tell you that every pound counts, heck ounces even.

If you buy from Amazon, make sure you buy from an authorized DJI dealer. You can find a list of authorized DJI dealers here. It's okay to buy directly from DJI too.

I bought mine from dji store directly reason being i am from Canada so tax and custom fees included in the price. So what price you see is what I pay. Plus free shipping. Yes, if you buy from Amazon ensure they're in dji's authorized dealers. I bought with the 2 batteries with free docking station which is a good deal right now here's the link Buy Phantom 4 | DJI Store

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I bought mine from dji store directly reason being i am from Canada so tax and custom fees included in the price. So what price you see is what I pay. Plus free shipping. Yes, if you buy from Amazon ensure they're in dji's authorized dealers. I bought with the 2 batteries with free docking station which is a good deal right now here's the link
Buy Phantom 4 | DJI Store

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I was going to buy from a dealer in Washington state but would have had to pay state tax even thou I am Canadian. So I also bought on line to avoid tax. I bought the package with two extra batteries. Shipped fedex ground, took 7 days.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj