Phantom 4 malfunction and loss

I am glad you shared your candid opinion on this. It has made me realize how I have a lot to learn. I rely heavily on GPS, and now Tap tap fly, and need to spend some time with how to control it manually.

Atti mode is great. Just make sure the first time you do it, it's a not windy day and there are no obstiacles around.

Get a cheap drone and learn to fly that. Phantom will be cake after that.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ScottLB and Tobrouk
Its all quiet on the western front!
I think Ralph has had a good fish pie in this post by now so maybe he does not want to comment back until he has done his home work and knows more of what happened or where things went wrong. YES this may have been pilot error or other problem that might have been able to fix if acting fast when things go wrong.. he may not know how to find the logs or how to get the info from the app device..
But will not ask due to more face slapping.. It seems some people are willing to help you RALPH so you have to ignore the flack,
If all is quiet due to trying to get DJI to cough up, im sure they will be wise to if it was a malfunction or not as if the aircraft looses gps and also rc signal then it no longer is getting any commands unless this is the first drone hijacking we have seen :), i think it will also stop when rc signal is lost when performing a tap n fly or it should.
That leave 2 things for it to keep flying in any direction, ATTI mode with wind (run in the direction of it trying to regain RC connection) or bad IMU and it thinks it it level when it is not..
But the main reason for this reply in the post is.. People will help where they can and if their was a problem members would like to know what went wrong so it does not happen to others..

Reactions: konidair
I will send the log today.. Last night i was still hoping i found it.. It is not a troll i really lost it.. For those that say pilot error, why did GPS just turned off in a clear sky?.. Why it did not respond to my commands?, why i lost video 3 min. Later? Why when i tried return to home several times it said Failed? Im at work, i already received and return the usage questionnaire that DJI customer service sent me, im waiting on a response which customer service said it can take 3 weeks. They also had me send in the proof of purchase, which it was from the Apple store.
Have you contacted Apple to see what they intend to do about it? Unlike DJI, they are very pro-active in customer service and satisfaction.

I'm dubious. He clearly has little knowledge of how to fly a quad. It's not difficult to switch to atti and regain control.
Switching to Atti mode now requires accepting a disclaimer before you can use it. Make sure you do so before you need it, so you can read and fully understand its implications!:eek:

I see Ralph is posting his story on FB as well. Giving people the run around on there too.
It's very easy to lose a Phantom and explain that it just flew away.
That makes it excusable as there's nothing you can do if your drone goes where it wants to.
It's not your fault ... it's DJI's.
Back in the P1 & P2 days you might have got away with it but since the P3, real flyaways are extremely rare.
The P3 was so good that even incidents mistakenly called flyaways were quite a bit less common than before.
We can examine flight records and find out what happened and often work out where to find the missing drone.
And the incident investigations often show that the drone did exactly what it was programmed to but the pilot didn't understand what the Phantom was doing.
Some common scenarios like flying away downwind in a strong wind or flying behind tall buildings account for many lost Phantoms.
I have my suspicions about Ralph's story but without data, no-one can learn anything from the incident.
It looks like he doesn't want any help to find the Phantom or learn what happened.
Perhaps he's happier just blaming DJI because everyone knows that their Phantoms just flyaway.

Switching to Atti mode now requires accepting a disclaimer before you can use it. Make sure you do so before you need it, so you can read and fully understand its implications!:eek:
it did not ask me anything and went in to Atti no problem

it did not ask me anything and went in to Atti no problem

That's encouraging. I was just quoting from the P4 Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines included with the P4, which may not be accurate:

Flight Modes:

If you intend to switch to modes that disable GPS assistance (e.g., Atti mode), you are required to accept the prompted disclaimer to enable this function. If this function is enabled, you further understand and agree that data including but not limited to flight telemetry data and function records could be uploaded to and maintained on a DJI designated server.

Sounds like DJI doesn't trust us...:rolleyes:
Or will just hand the data over to the FAA, the new "DJI designated server"...:eek:

Last edited:
That's encouraging. I was just quoting from the P4 Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines included with the P4, which may not be accurate:
Sounds like DJI doesn't trust us...:rolleyes:
Or will just hand the data over to the FAA, the new "DJI designated server"...:eek:
Interesting ... it could be that DJI don't trust all the warranty claims that come in but I'd be very surprised if they are telling the FAA every time you use atti mode or go to 500 feet above launch point.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
This guy is a troll. Hasn't provided any proof or flight logs. He must be a jealous yuneec employee going around trying to make Dji look bad.

Reactions: caseyb41
This thread needs to be removed unless he can provide some proof. Flight logs and a screen recording from the go app of the flight path with stick inputs. But I have a feeling we won't be hearing from him again I guess he just needed some attention.

This thread needs to be removed unless he can provide some proof. Flight logs and a screen recording from the go app of the flight path with stick inputs. But I have a feeling we won't be hearing from him again I guess he just needed some attention.
Well you make a good point but even if Ralph is just BS'ing us, I have learned a lot about flying by reading this thread. Some insightful comments from some of the responders. The OP should at the very least acknowledge that he has stirred up a hornets nest and that he will post the logs or that he is not able to for any reason but to sit back and remain silent is bad..

This was my second fly with it.. Everything was going smooth and all of the sudden it said GPS not available.. And it just started to go away from me.. I was not able to control it. After 3 minutes i lost video and thay was it!
The only thing which will help to avoid flyaway is to install Stop Flyaway. It's specifically designed to stop uncontrolled fly away. And it's P4 compatible.

I don't believe this thread. Two separate GPS systems, 2 IMUs, 2 compasses and a processor error checking the data? No way that was a flyaway.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah I'm not really buying it either. Between this persons lack of posts / history on the forum. Lack of information on how they set up their Phantom after they unboxed the item. The duel GPS and Glonass system makes it very unlikely they would loose signal. And even if they did that wouldn't make them loose the ability to control the direction of the Phantom they would still be able to fly it on their own. With GPS off the Phantom would drift in the direction of the wind, and again that doesn't stop them from flying it. And if they don't know how to they shouldn't really be flying any distance away until they know how to. I'd call this loss user failure just as much as any possible GPS malfunction.

Honestly I don't believe in the compass/IMU calibration questions asked after every crash/flyway.

I would say that at least 95% of the time the p3/p4 will fly just fine with zero calibrations. I did it.

More common issues would be metal or magnetic interference, electrical or hardware issues. Or of course user error.

Regarding op, the GPS can't just be gone. What did it show? And at that point it'll switch to atti, why didn't you use the video to bring it back?

Until we see a log unfortunately we cannot help you..

Proper IMI and GPS calibration is of the utmost importance and can make a real difference in the stability of flight of your Phantom and should be done before your initial flight as well as after any firmware updates. And some of the questions the user posted he should have already known the answers to if they already had any real experience with the P2 and P3.

In my opinion there is a good chance that this loss either 1) never happened or 2) was do to users lack of experience and proper set up. Granted tho it's within the realm of possibility it was a legit loss given the new product but I find it highly unlikely given the information presented thus far.

This was my second fly with it.. Everything was going smooth and all of the sudden it said GPS not available.. And it just started to go away from me.. I was not able to control it. After 3 minutes i lost video and thay was it!

I had the Phantom 2, 3 Pro and this one and i never had any problems in the past..

I called customer service and the representative was so rude, he was just trying to get me to say the wrong thing.. Worst customer service ever.. He said they will send me a form and it will have a 3 weeks turn around for an obvious technical failure.. Im so angry!! What should i do??

It's probably impossible to find now but my guess is that with obstacle avoidance, depending on the speed and line of flight, it should have flown as long as the battery lasted and then auto landed. I'm sure it's lying on the ground somewhere in the general direction it was flying within 8 miles or so. Hopeful news but disheartening knowing it could definitely be sitting on the ground in perfect condition just waiting to be found.

It's probably impossible to find now but my guess is that with obstacle avoidance, depending on the speed and line of flight, it should have flown as long as the battery lasted and then auto landed. I'm sure it's lying on the ground somewhere in the general direction it was flying within 8 miles or so. Hopeful news but disheartening knowing it could definitely be sitting on the ground in perfect condition just waiting to be found.

3cb4e7aa736f1cc19a2dff9cf87b88da.jpg

Hope you had your name/number on it!
My # goes on before i open the plastic on the props

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20