Phantom 4 malfunction and loss

Only a liar runs and hides when someone calls them a liar. Anyone telling the truth would've been jumping out of their seat to prove everyone wrong.

Moderators, please make a BIG BALD FAT sticky on the front page stating the rules of reporting flight incidents.
Sounds like overkill. All of the details the pilot can remember along with the flight log would suffice in most situations.

Per the topher posted video he found....
I've seen pinballs change direction smoother.
Looked to me like a clear case of drone suicide.
Shame it wasn't a return to home kamikaze. lol

Sounds like overkill. All of the details the pilot can remember along with the flight log would suffice in most situations.
Wow, your 10000th message, congratulations.....
There is no such thing as coincidence, only the illusion of it....

You could have saved yourself 1/3rd of them if only people read all the manuals beforehand, as a part of self education process for a pilot of an UAV.
And another 1/3rd of them if everyone reported incidents first hand with some sound data and details.

Log will tell you many things but will not tell you whether one calibrated compass in LA and then 3 days later flew in Canada....
Will not tell you the wind speed unless one fulfilled flight criteria for the algorithms to be able to calculate it
Will not tell if one often landed in gravel covered back yard, filling engines with debris
Will not tell if one flew with humidity of 90+%, or in a snow storm. Or was filming fireworks day before the crash
i don't know whether it will tell the gain or exp settings (think of the brake setting, ie)
Etcetera....

You have a point saying it sounds like overkill. It does.
On the other hand, think of it, your precious quad is gone, it crashes/gets lost etc... Imagine you are the guy that lost it.
Step into his skin. He, like most of us, planned, read, planned, saved, and saved, and one day, made the big decision.
It is a big lost. In both cash and resources. You really want to know what happened, and whether it is your fault....
Does spending 15-30 minutes of your time filling in a pre-formulated form strike you as a burden now?
I would dearly spend my time on it, would even be grateful that someone took the effort of compiling it.....
The other type of guys who can afford even an Inspire or Alta every fortnight or so, they wouldn't care much anyhow.

Such a form itself could also be a useful reminder to all of us, in regard to all the aspects of the pre, during and post-flight checks

PS I admire you for the amount of effort and zeal you invested in educating fellow rc pilots.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
If people would willingly offer that information, then I am all for it. The chances of everyone seeing that pinned post and/or knowing how to find all of that data is slim to none. We can dream though, right? :)

Lol I say people just post what they want
agreed, but I dont like how a mod change stuff. I didn't think this forum had an allegiance with DJI.

I understand that they don't want false information out there, but its up to the people/users/members to decide whether they trust what is been written or not.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and Toph
agreed, but I dont like how a mod change stuff. I didn't think this forum had an allegiance with DJI.

I understand that they don't want false information out there, but its up to the people/users/members to decide whether they trust what is been written or not.

Couldn't agree more

tumblr_mcveitzKw41rwfctbo1_500.gif

Reactions: Toph
- GoodnNUff, i can see an IF in your post. You still wondering IF that was a troll? A man on a flying horse could see that.
- If you would be Ralph, you would post your logs. And answer questions in detail
- If you were Virgin Mary, you would submit much more details about the incident.
- If someone's mindset is so out of whack not to understand how such incidents are investigated, one shouldn't fly at all
- Actually, that person shouldn't be let on streets alone, cause it poses danger to all other forms of life
- A second lost P4 owner with an IQ bit above an average house mouse will read Ralph's trolling thread start to end and realize how he should post such event unless he wants to join the troll hall of fame.

Moderators, please make a BIG BALD FAT sticky on the front page stating the rules of reporting flight incidents.
Hereby I refer to things such as:
-
AIRCRAFT TYPE
-MILEAGE, age, which props, last inspected when?
-PREVIOUS DAMAGES YES/NO
-FW aircraft, Batt, RC, Mobile APP, IOS Android
-Charge status of RC, tablet, phone
- RC calibrated or not, if yes, when ?
- Which app used during flight
-BATTERIES AGE, CHARGE CYCLES NO, STATUS AT TAKE OFF
-AIR TEMP AT FLIGHT TIME
-HUMIDITY, PRECIP, KP INDEX
- EXACT RANGE OF WIND SPEED/DRIFT AT GROUND LEVEL
- FLIGHT ALTITUDE
- IF UNKNOWN, exact time and place of flight
- LOGS uploaded to X or Y viewer
- compass calibrated last time when, where?
- IMU calibrated when, where, how?
- flight surroundings - tall buildings, power lines, flatlands, mountains?
- props, which, tightened how, inspected for damage last when?
- any other remarks, noises, sounds, strange behaviour recently?
- Any flights in dusty environments, landings on such surfaces?

For this list can go on, but i am too tired, and have to go to sleep. now. Sorry. Please contribute. Input from seasoned airplane pilots welcome.
All those submitting incidents without proper data are kindly requested by moderators to provide data in order to appear on forum

PS GoodnNuff, I completely support you in your judgement of the moderators reactions to frame crack problems
I'm pretty good at recognizing trolls...

And Ralph certainly may be one, but that isn't the vibe I get.

This thread reminds me of one from last week when one of our younger members posted that he'd received a call from the FAA, and they had asked him to remove some of his videos from the internet. This 14 year old kid was called a liar by quite a few members, or called a fool for believing the call by quite a few others. It was pretty insane. A few days later the OP posted the follow up letter he received from the FAA, validating that he actually was called. I don't recall anyone apologizing.

But if Ralph is a troll, he achieved his agenda with just one post, didn't he? Just one post that should have been mostly ignored after a few requests for more information, and look how many have taken the bait.

Lets all take a breath here and calm down a bit. This thread keeps living due to the pure speculation being generated in here. Let it go, if the OP decides to post back you'll know via the alert function.

There also seems to be some confusion about censoring here. This was not the case as the title was merely edited, not censored.
If the OP would like to contact Meta, I'm sure he would be glad to restore it for him.

Couldn't agree more
FYI .. This forum has no allegiance to DJI.
We all pay for our own drones and get no special considerations.
If you had to type as much as I do to explain to fearful new flyers that flyaways are so rare that they are almost a myth, you wouldn't want leaving incorrect thread titles out there contributing to the unnecessary hysteria.

please for this newB, how do I put it in ATTI mode?? HansD NL
Flip the PSA switch on the left side of your remote controller to the "A" position. You'll also need to enable Multiple Flight Mode in the DJI GO app.

If not willing to share the data, it must be a bad campaign to make the P4 look bad or someone had a bad crash and is trying to fraud DJI by saying his bird flew away.

Based on all the issues that are posted here due to not reading the manual before flight, I suspect Ralph is genuine and really lost his bird.

He likely thought is was a flyaway. Most of us have seen the wind blow a bird away during an Atti hover or loss of GPS. We know that isn't a software/firmware flyaway.

He was probably new enough not to have the precise terminology/wording of flyaways down pat and wasn't savy enough to upload logs. Time will tell.

If he was a troll, he's gone and that's good. If he was genuine, we had no data to help him help himself.
Not a big deal either way right?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I tried everything and it will not respond.. GPS just died completely, I have the phantom 3 pro and I always fly it in the same spot with no problems. I was only 400ft away and about 190ft up.
Hi I had the same problem with my first P3S. It even lost contact when I was using the simulator P3S was at my feet about two feet away. This happened three times while flying and several times while on the sim. I was lucky I got the dealer to exchange it after three weeks of convincing him. Good Luck

I guess I could have opened the app and tested that one myself lol. Never realized that, good to know if I ever run into an issue and the bird doesn't get home.

So if I fly using the controller only, is there flight data recorded in the controller? I find it hard right now to watch my phone and operate a controller at the same time. I'm so green, I flew without the camera attached to avoid excess damage. Sort of like allowing it to drift into the garage door/eave because I flipped a switch without knowing it. Haven't flown it again in over a year now (P2 Vision+).

I joined this forum today because I was searching for runaways or RTC in my area, SD Ca., as I believe I witnessed one this, and maybe the previous, weekend do just that. Last Sundays had to be a RTC since it flew up the 15 corridor north through the MAS Miramar airspace (into the clouds where I lost sight of it.) The previous weekends was at the beach at Del Mar, after watching the video from another thread (bad-bad-bad-day) its possible it was still in control.

Ev

(edited to correct model)

Last edited:
Hi I had the same problem with my first P3S. It even lost contact when I was using the simulator P3S was at my feet about two feet away. This happened three times while flying and several times while on the sim. I was lucky I got the dealer to exchange it after three weeks of convincing him. Good Luck

Sorry for the delay.. i posted a new thread with all the trouble i went trough. please refer to it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor